The Student Room Group

Homophobia?

Hi,

As you know same-sex marriage is legal in whole USA. I'm neutral to sexuality and I simply respects everyone's choice, for me it's a private matter. What irks me is this so called division into homo-lovers/uber supporters and homophobes. You see now anyone WHO doesn't show utter support for same-sex couples is immediately labelled a homophobe. I know many people who aren't so comfortable with that topic and well, that's how they feel and everyone is entitled to own opinion, these people don't accept homosexuality but tolerate it. I don't see anything wrong with that. World is not perfect and co-excistence is perfect compromise. Live and let others live. I hate how gay issue is thrown down the throat and there is nothing else but utter acceptance. Tolerance sounds fine enough for me.

In fact, for my father homosexuality is not normal but he tolerates and interacts with gays as with any normal person. My brother is gay which is very hard on our father and even though he can't come to accept it, out father is still treating my brother as his son and I think this is great and how it should be. He even comes to accompany my brother during pride parades even thought we all know he would rather be else where. I don't see him as homophobic, he doesn't go yelling "die gays!" etc but on that parade a very rude guy accused him of being homophobic and started physically attacking him so I just instantly punched him. I didn't even think, it happened automatically. It got me so angry because I don't think father deserved to be called like that.

So idk, I feel sorry for those who simply cannot switch their opinion and be uber gay supportive and the media backlash is very ugly.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

As you know same-sex marriage is legal in whole USA. I'm neutral to sexuality and I simply respects everyone's choice, for me it's a private matter. What irks me is this so called division into homo-lovers/uber supporters and homophobes. You see now anyone WHO doesn't show utter support for same-sex couples is immediately labelled a homophobe. I know many people who aren't so comfortable with that topic and well, that's how they feel and everyone is entitled to own opinion, these people don't accept homosexuality but tolerate it. I don't see anything wrong with that. World is not perfect and co-excistence is perfect compromise. Live and let others live. I hate how gay issue is thrown down the throat and there is nothing else but utter acceptance. Tolerance sounds fine enough for me.

In fact, for my father homosexuality is not normal but he tolerates and interacts with gays as with any normal person. My brother is gay which is very hard on our father and even though he can't come to accept it, out father is still treating my brother as his son and I think this is great and how it should be. He even comes to accompany my brother during pride parades even thought we all know he would rather be else where. I don't see him as homophobic, he doesn't go yelling "die gays!" etc but on that parade a very rude guy accused him of being homophobic and started physically attacking him so I just instantly punched him. I didn't even think, it happened automatically. It got me so angry because I don't think father deserved to be called like that.

So idk, I feel sorry for those who simply cannot switch their opinion and be uber gay supportive and the media backlash is very ugly.

I agree with you completely.

On some occasions you might be coerced by homosexuals and feel very awkward and threatened by them, but as soon as you retaliate and push them away you're instantly labelled homophobic.

I accept that some men like men, some women like women, some men feel/want to be women, some women feel/want to be men; but do I think it's "right"...
I am afraid I don't agree. I think there are only two groups. Supporters and homophobes. As my mother says "You can hate the sin but love the sinner." If you think homosexuality is wrong you are homophobic. It is just a word that means you are against homosexuality. People who tolerate homosexuality are still homophobic but they are different levels of homophobia. If gay people chose their sexuality, would they really be gay?
Anonymous weakling

Stopped reading after the first paragraph.

Perhaps you should also open a thread called 'Racism?' arguing that people opposed to interracial marriage aren't racists.

Next.
Original post by driftawaay
Anonymous weakling

Stopped reading after the first paragraph.

Perhaps you should also open a thread called 'Racism?' arguing that people opposed to interracial marriage aren't racists.

Next.

OK, I will reveal myself. I wanted to see if you judged my comment or my anonymity. You people are scared of a word. If you don't like homosexuality, you are a homophobe. Don't invent a category to justify yourself.
Reply 5
I'm gay myself and I agree with you. I've only really just came to terms with it and accepted myself for it, as I hated feeling the way I did. I even hate it now when people force the whole thing in everyone's face. It's great that the US has made it legal in all states but it's almost like it's a big thing to put your profile picture as a rainbow and stuff. Why? If you agree with it, cool. If not, you're entitled to your own opinion. No need to rave about it in every ones face.
I didn't even put my pic as a rainbow..
Reply 6
Original post by VotreAltesse
On some occasions you might be coerced by homosexuals and feel very awkward and threatened by them, but as soon as you retaliate and push them away you're instantly labelled homophobic./QUOTE]

This is exactly what I mean. I got few straight friends who feel very creeped out when gays hit on them and they aren't homophobes that's for sure! But no, because they feel uncomfortable around gays who are HITTING on them quite directly without any subtle pick-up lines, well sorry but there is nothing wrong to say "no". Dammit, women have right to say to reject a guy if asked out, are they called sexist? I feel that some people use the homophobia card way too often and this is imo quite insulting for real struggling closeted gay people.

Some people just want the whole world to openly love LGBTQ but I know so many people don't feel like so but they tolerate and simply mind their own live, why is that not enough? LGBTQ want to be treated normally but I can't help but sometimes feel they demand special rights...
Original post by agentawesome
OK, I will reveal myself. I wanted to see if you judged my comment or my anonymity. You people are scared of a word. If you don't like homosexuality, you are a homophobe. Don't invent a category to justify yourself.

The thing is, even these homophobes know that homophobia is wrong, so they try to disassociate themselves even though that is what they are. Open homophobes and open racists are so much better, at least they own up to their beliefs.
Can totally relate! As a Christian I'm not sure I agree with homosexual behaviour, but I still accept gay people and don't judge them any differently due to their sexual preferences and decisions. But amongst TSR community I get a lot of verbal abuse for sharing my "out-dated" opinion, no matter how nicely I put my words. It is non of my business who dates/marries who and I'm fine with that, but equally other people have know right to tell me I am "wrong" or "deluded" for not giving my full support to homosexuality!
Reply 9
Original post by Roostaru
I'm gay myself and I agree with you. I've only really just came to terms with it and accepted myself for it, as I hated feeling the way I did. I even hate it now when people force the whole thing in everyone's face. It's great that the US has made it legal in all states but it's almost like it's a big thing to put your profile picture as a rainbow and stuff. Why? If you agree with it, cool. If not, you're entitled to your own opinion. No need to rave about it in every ones face.
I didn't even put my pic as a rainbow..

Thanks, my GAY brother feels the same and I completely agree with that.

People just like to be offended by literally everything nowadays... If the whole world is not the way they want they will simply hate-label it...
Original post by driftawaay
The thing is, even these homophobes know that homophobia is wrong, so they try to disassociate themselves even though that is what they are. Open homophobes and open racists are so much better, at least they own up to their beliefs.

Exactly. At least we know who voted UKIP.
[QUOTE="Anonymous;57480581"]
Original post by VotreAltesse
On some occasions you might be coerced by homosexuals and feel very awkward and threatened by them, but as soon as you retaliate and push them away you're instantly labelled homophobic./QUOTE]

This is exactly what I mean. I got few straight friends who feel very creeped out when gays hit on them and they aren't homophobes that's for sure! But no, because they feel uncomfortable around gays who are HITTING on them quite directly without any subtle pick-up lines, well sorry but there is nothing wrong to say "no". Dammit, women have right to say to reject a guy if asked out, are they called sexist? I feel that some people use the homophobia card way too often and this is imo quite insulting for real struggling closeted gay people.

Some people just want the whole world to openly love LGBTQ but I know so many people don't feel like so but they tolerate and simply mind their own live, why is that not enough? LGBTQ want to be treated normally but I can't help but sometimes feel they demand special rights...

Not really much to ask to be treated nicely though. I would hate to be treated differently for something I can't help. At the end of the day why should the way I think affect anyone elses life in any other way if it's completely harmless?
This is why I took so long to come out, it's so much easier to say you're straight.
Can totally relate! As a Christian I'm not sure I agree with homosexual behaviour, but I still accept gay people and don't judge them any differently due to their sexual preferences and decisions. But amongst TSR community I get a lot of verbal abuse for sharing my "out-dated" opinion, no matter how nicely I put my words. It is non of my business who dates/marries who and I'm fine with that, but equally other people have know right to tell me I am "wrong" or "deluded" for not giving my full support to homosexuality!

Thanks, this is exactly what sickens me about this whole sexuality thing. You mind your own business and let others do whatever they want but because you don't accept what they do you are already a hater. This is exactly like bullying those of different sexuality but this time the roles are reversed...
Thanks, this is exactly what sickens me about this whole sexuality thing. You mind your own business and let others do whatever they want but because you don't accept what they do you are already a hater. This is exactly like bullying those of different sexuality but this time the roles are reversed...

How would you like it if a gay person judged you for being heterosexual?.

aww two anonymous weakling homophobes have found each other

need some lube? xo
Reply 15
[QUOTE=Anonymous;57480291]Hi,

The reason why 'tolerance' is not enough is because of centuries of intolerance - more than intolerance, bullying, discrimination and persecution. Thankfully I have lived to see the era where the tide has turned. You are free to be heterosexual, to behave in a heterosexual way and to feel and think what you want about gay relationships. What is not acceptable anymore is to insult and oppress others who want to do sometime different to you.
[QUOTE="Roostaru;57480675"]

Not really much to ask to be treated nicely though. I would hate to be treated differently for something I can't help. At the end of the day why should the way I think affect anyone elses life in any other way if it's completely harmless?
This is why I took so long to come out, it's so much easier to say you're straight.

For me it's completely harmless for people to have opposite opinions on LGBTQ as in it doesn't feel right for THEM but not being abusive about that, spreading hate or attacking LGBTQ people, simply tolerate them and continue living own life. Why this is still LGBTQ-phobic? Some people can't help thinking that way, same as you cannot help but like your own sex. Each to each own.

I feel that everyone should be treated as normal and respected for own opinion even if it doesn't agree with the majority as long as it's just an opinion and not abusive action.

This is why people cannot openly say what's on their mind because the "majority" will eat them alive...
How would you like it if a gay person judged you for being heterosexual?.

How DARE you like the opposite gender! DON'T YOU TRIGGER ME WITH YOUR GROTESQUE PERSONAL OPINIONS THAT DON'T AFFECT ME AT ALL.

You're right, kinda sounds silly the other way, so kinda wonder why it's said so much to gay people.

Y'know, Dolphins can be gay quite often. So "it's not natural" can't be a reason. :biggrin:
Reply 18
Hi,

Agreed shoving it down everyone's throats is very childish and doesn't change opinion. People are entitled to their opinions and just because they don't agree with something doesn't make them homophobic
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zarek
The reason why 'tolerance' is not enough is because of centuries of intolerance - more than intolerance, bullying, discrimination and persecution. Thankfully I have lived to see the era where the tide has turned. You are free to be heterosexual, to behave in a heterosexual way and to feel and think what you want about gay relationships. What is not acceptable anymore is to insult and oppress others who want to do sometime different to you.

Yes, abuse is bad but different views are fine for me. I agree which is why I can't stand the backlash of so called LGBTQ-supporters who see nothing but utter acceptance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending