The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year AFTER graduating from university

I am recent university graduate who has just earned a degree in a strong STEM degree. I was very pleased with my achievement but unfortunately I feel that I suffered socially as a result. I had some very good friends during university and did go out a moderate amount but I feel as though I never really had the full university experience, particularly with the opposite sex. My degree was very intensive and unfortunately a lot of time was devoted to my studies.

Now I have moved back to my home-town and am currently living with my parents. I have secured a graduate a job in my field of choice in my university city and have also managed to delay it meaning I have one year until I go into full time work. I am in the very fortunate position in that my parents will allow me to live rent free until I move out in a year as long as I contribute to the house in other ways.

Now, my question is what should I do? I essentially have one year until I go into full time work. It may also be worth mentioning that seeing as I was away at university for 3 years I have mostly drifted away from my home-town friends and all my university friends are starting their graduate jobs in the city I will eventually move to.

My aim is to in a way make up for lost time in university and really try to live as much as possible in the next year. I have already managed to waste a month of my free year watching television and I really don't want to end up doing that for the rest of it. I have around £1500 from my savings and possibly alittle more from selling a few things. Any suggestions on what I could do to hopefully make some new friends and really make the most of my freedom? Thanks for reading.
get laid

Quick Reply

Latest