The Student Room Group

Medicine

Im only a y11 student who is determined to do medicine in future but with all the forums i've read about grades/requirements, everyone seems to have outstanding grades (As and A*s) which i am not capable of however, i know i can get alot of As and Bs on results day. Im also doing chemistry, biology and english literature for my A-levels but i dont exactly want to do a fourth a level just so i can drop it :/
Original post by krishugh
Im only a y11 student who is determined to do medicine in future but with all the forums i've read about grades/requirements, everyone seems to have outstanding grades (As and A*s) which i am not capable of however, i know i can get alot of As and Bs on results day. Im also doing chemistry, biology and english literature for my A-levels but i dont exactly want to do a fourth a level just so i can drop it :/

Hi!
My suggestion would be not to worry about the results right now. If you're determined then remain focused and work really hard on the subjects you have chosen. From what I've seen, there are few universities whose typical offer is an AAB at A levels.
You can do some more research, I would suggest going to the GMC website and getting the list of recognised medical colleges and then checking out each one. Scratch out the ones you think are out of reach either for academic or non-academic reasons so that will narrow down your list.
You'll also get an idea if you need to take another science at AS level if that helps. :smile:
Wait and see how your results go, but, no offense going by those grades, your best bet would be to do Biomedical Science and if you REALLY want to do medicine, progress onto medicine directly (so long as you have achieved at least a 2:1).

It will basically mean you wait an extra 1 or 2 years but you can still get in no problem. =)

I don't want to be mean but, it is just how it is. I remember when I said I wanted to do medicine and was told the truth flat out and no sugar coating it either...
Reply 3
I will let you know what my results will be on the 20th August and maybe you could try and make judgement from that as im a bit stuck on what i want to do which includes dietetics, nursing or medicine etc
Original post by Scienceisgood
Wait and see how your results go, but, no offense going by those grades, your best bet would be to do Biomedical Science and if you REALLY want to do medicine, progress onto medicine directly (so long as you have achieved at least a 2:1).

It will basically mean you wait an extra 1 or 2 years but you can still get in no problem. =)

I don't want to be mean but, it is just how it is. I remember when I said I wanted to do medicine and was told the truth flat out and no sugar coating it either...
I will let you know what my results will be on the 20th August and maybe you could try and make judgement from that as im a bit stuck on what i want to do which includes dietetics, nursing or medicine etc

I know what you mean, I will provide an example.

Say you do Biomedical Science, Biochemistry etc... (A medical related course but, I do Biomedical Science and it is INCREDIBLY detailed in terms of medicine as it is), you can then progress onto this.

http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/mbbchgraduateentrymedicine/

There are universities which provide the graduate entry to medicine, so, 3 years doing Biomedical Science and 4 years doing Medicine, 7 years.

So, yeah. It will take a little longer but it will get you where you want.

Firstly, you haven't got your results yet so don't worry. Secondly, if you have as and bs at gcse that's no problem; as long as you have predictions of aaa at a level your grades won't hold you back at all. You just have to be clever in where you apply, so check out all the GCSE/as requirements for different med schools and don't apply to any who ask for rafts of a*s!

Just as an FYI, it is far far better to get straight into medicine than to do biomed and try to transfer across or so graduate entry medicine. Transfers are really hard to come by and gem is extremely expensive and facing some significant threats at the moment.

So my advice would be to wait and see what your GCSE results are, work hard for your a levels, get plenty of work experience sorted over the next year or so, and apply sensibly!

Also, regarding your a level choices, doing only 2 sciences is absolutely fine. However, I think most med schools would ask for at least 4 as levels so you should take 4 subjects next year even if you drop one for a2. Take whatever you like, something you enjoy and can do well in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Scienceisgood
I know what you mean, I will provide an example.

Say you do Biomedical Science, Biochemistry etc... (A medical related course but, I do Biomedical Science and it is INCREDIBLY detailed in terms of medicine as it is), you can then progress onto this.

http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/mbbchgraduateentrymedicine/

There are universities which provide the graduate entry to medicine, so, 3 years doing Biomedical Science and 4 years doing Medicine, 7 years.

So, yeah. It will take a little longer but it will get you where you want.

I will think about it tbh, i dont know what i want to do but depending on my results, i will make judgements from that :/ Thank you so much for responding
Reply 7
Original post by JenniB22
Firstly, you haven't got your results yet so don't worry. Secondly, if you have as and bs at gcse that's no problem; as long as you have predictions of aaa at a level your grades won't hold you back at all. You just have to be clever in where you apply, so check out all the GCSE/as requirements for different med schools and don't apply to any who ask for rafts of a*s!

Just as an FYI, it is far far better to get straight into medicine than to do biomed and try to transfer across or so graduate entry medicine. Transfers are really hard to come by and gem is extremely expensive and facing some significant threats at the moment.

So my advice would be to wait and see what your GCSE results are, work hard for your a levels, get plenty of work experience sorted over the next year or so, and apply sensibly!

Also, regarding your a level choices, doing only 2 sciences is absolutely fine. However, I think most med schools would ask for at least 4 as levels so you should take 4 subjects next year even if you drop one for a2. Take whatever you like, something you enjoy and can do well in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by ''gem'' ?
What do you mean by ''gem'' ?

Graduate Entry Medicine :smile:
Having lots of A*s and A's would help as it broadens your options but A level's are the fate deciders. Just ace them and you will be fine.
My gcse's grades consisted mostly of As and Bs and i did only around 6 gcse's, did not achieve a single A* but i still ended up as a medic :smile: just apply wise!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending