The Student Room Group

Don't receive any offers from universities?!!!!!!

I've heard from everyone that a lot of people who apply for medicine end up with no offers from their 4 chosen universities.
If they receive no offers...what happens then?! Do they have to apply post a level to a different university? Can they reapply after a levels?
So confused...
Original post by G8D
You are only allowed to apply for 4 med courses leaving you 1 non-med (and not dentistry or vet either I think). So if you're sensible with your 4th option you should have a fall-back.

If not, clearing into a less desirable course/uni or apply next year.

Not even clearing. They'd have the option to use UCAS extra as well, which makes it less of a hectic rush. Clearing is really only relevant if you miss your offers.
Original post by ClariceE
I've heard from everyone that a lot of people who apply for medicine end up with no offers from their 4 chosen universities.
If they receive no offers...what happens then?! Do they have to apply post a level to a different university? Can they reapply after a levels?
So confused...

There are many different options. They can wait to get their A-Level results, take a gap year and reapply (this is what I did). Or do another course and then if the still want to do Medicine, apply for GEM. Or some people decide to apply to Medical Schools abroad.
You could do biochem and still become a doctor.
Reply 4
Original post by 08Mercyf
You could do biochem and still become a doctor.

How is that? Can you please elaborate. BTW Are you referring to Bio Medical Sciences

Thanks
Best regards
Nomita
Reply 5
Is it possible to apply post a level and take a gap year?
Original post by ClariceE
Is it possible to apply post a level and take a gap year?

Yep
Original post by nomita
How is that? Can you please elaborate. BTW Are you referring to Bio Medical Sciences

Thanks
Best regards
Nomita

Yes, you can apply through UCAS extra( I think) or just wait for clearing or just take a gap year and boost your application, that's what I have heard btw

I hope things work out. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by 08Mercyf
Yes, you can apply through UCAS extra( I think) or just wait for clearing or just take a gap year and boost your application, that's what I have heard btw

I hope things work out. :smile:

Thanks for the reply. My question actually was how doing biochem lead to Medicine that you were mentioning earlier.

Thanks
Best regards
Nomita
Original post by nomita
Thanks for the reply. My question actually was how doing biochem lead to Medicine that you were mentioning earlier.

Thanks
Best regards
Nomita

Tbh, I am not sure but just know someone who wanted to be a doctor but did not have the right grades and then got advised to do biomed.
Original post by nomita
Thanks
Best regards
Nomita

You can do Biochem and then try to get in via Graduate Entry Medicine after that. However, this is very competitive (more competitive than the 'normal' route) and more expensive.
Reply 11
Original post by usycool1
You can do Biochem and then try to get in via Graduate Entry Medicine after that. However, this is very competitive (more competitive than the 'normal' route) and more expensive.

Thanks very much for your reply

I have heard that there are some changes being done to GEM. What exactly are they? Where I can find them.

Thanks
Best regards
Nomita
Original post by nomita
Thanks very much for your reply
I have heard that there are some changes being done to GEM. What exactly are they? Where I can find them.
Thanks
Best regards
Nomita

I'm afraid that I don't know about any changes that are happening to GEM (all I've heard is that the future of GEM is uncertain). I'd suggest making a thread in the Medicine forum and asking there - people who are currently doing GEM may be able to help. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by usycool1
I'm afraid that I don't know about any changes that are happening to GEM (all I've heard is that the future of GEM is uncertain). I'd suggest making a thread in the Medicine forum and asking there - people who are currently doing GEM may be able to help. :smile:

Thanks very much

Quick Reply

Latest