The Student Room Group

Summer Placement-Mean Manager?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on a voluntary unpaid placement for 6 weeks however I've realised I'm not learning anything at all.Im basically doing the jobs that the staff doesn't want to do.E.g I'll go in at 9 start putting items (new stock) on the shelves & I'll be doing that for about 3 hours have my lunch ,come back & then pick items that they have told me to pick for the next 3 hours again!
It's so tiring & nothing I expected it to be.
The manager is also very mean to the staff,it's so demoralising ( I guess they're used to it) .I feel like she's mocks me at times.The other day I did something wrong and she was laughing her head off :/

We work with no air conditioning because 'it costs the company' .In the last two hot days I thought I was going to faint ,it was horrible!

I worked so hard on the placement application and feel like it has all gone to waste.To make matters worse ,there's a family wedding in 3 weeks which I'm a bridesmaid.We have so much to do - the decorations ,dress trials ,makeup & hair trials etc and whatever hours I miss because of commitments she makes me work them another day.So let's say I miss 3 hours today ,instead of finishing at 4 tomorrow I'll finish at 7.I told her that I needed a day off the day before the wedding ,it became a big issue.I got a lecture about responsibility and she says "you're going to have to do those hours one way or another" .
It's an unpaid placement but I have a feeling she thinks it's paid because when I mention that I'll prefer a short break so I can leave early for work she says "you must be making a lot of money" .

I don't know what to do! I have 3 weeks left and can't take another day.
I really want to leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it has been a total waste. You are learning that work is hard and tiring and laced with people who have little respect for you or what you do. I do however question why you are working for free. You can obtain exactly the same conditions elsewhere but at least you would get minimum wage. Walking out for a wedding though is rather lame though. Everything you mention can be done after work or at weekends. Can you not find something else that pays and then walk out?

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
I don't think it has been a total waste. You are learning that work is hard and tiring and laced with people who have little respect for you or what you do. I do however question why you are working for free. You can obtain exactly the same conditions elsewhere but at least you would get minimum wage. Walking out for a wedding though is rather lame though. Everything you mention can be done after work or at weekends. Can you not find something else that pays and then walk out?

Good luck!

Thanks!.It is an unpaid unfortunately .The company organises the placement and you get allocated to a branch.
I don't mind it ,I know work is hard but I feel so unappreciated.It feels like I'm spending 28 quid on bus fare to be ridiculed.Im studying a healthcare related course but it feels like I'm in a business course.Its literally what I do at work (part time retail job) .

No I can't because the bride obviously has things to do and there are 4 of us bridesmaids.I didn't walk out but told her in advance because we have a lot to do on the day.Usually I'm there half 8 till 3 with a 30min break sometimes half 8 till 6.
I do work part time in retail .I have 2 jobs on the side.19 hours on the weekend and some weekday evenings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending