The Student Room Group

Medicine Application Help!

I need some help in regarding getting into med school. I recently just took my AS levels and feel as if they did not go to plan, or as well as I'd hoped. I really want to persist with medicine and have looked at foundation courses as another route into medicine. However they require specific entry criteria like postcode deprivation and benefits, which are something I do not have. I was just wondering are there any alternative routes for getting into medicine with AS levels along the lines of BBB? Apart from graduate entry as it is very expensive, is there any other way? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. :smile:
Reply 1
You could get your teachers to predict you all As because univerties normally just look at predicted grades

Or you could wait until after you have you're A levels and if you get the right grades you can apply after and take a gap year. Unis tend to love people that take a gap year if it's productive
http://www.medschools.ac.uk/STUDENTS/COURSES/Pages/FoundationPre-clinicalyear.aspx

These are all the Medical Schools that offer a foundation programme. It still might be worth applying for Medicine.
All of the Universities publish their admissions criteria and some don't necessarily consider AS grades. If you can compensate for this with a really good admissions test score (take UKCAT now and prepare for BMAT - Leeds moved onto BMAT last year and their number of applications dropped a lot, so look at Brighton, Lancaster and Leeds), lots of quality work experience which shows you can work with people, a good quality personal statement and some wider reading to show that you are really interested then you might have a shot. Only apply to universities that consider the less academic features (e.g. Not Leicester - they only looked at GCSEs, AS and UKCAT).
Failing that you might have to look at Graduate Entry Medicine. Currently, if you study an Undergraduate Degree at Liverpool University then they guarantee you an interview for the GEM programme.
Just wait until results day and see where you stand. They might have gone better than you think - if you haven't got 4 As then that doesn't mean you can't get in. If you are thinking of taking a gap year then that doesn't mean that you can't take your chances this year anyway. A lot of Universities let you apply again the year after if you didn't reach the interview stage. Just try and convince your teachers to predict you 3As and make sure you can justify it - through resits and extra homework.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
[1] Don't write off your results until you have that piece of paper in your hand. Things will often have not gone as badly as you think.

[2] It is better to try to apply to medicine as a first degree if you can, rather than relying on the possibility of graduate entry - graduate entry and its funding is changing, and there is uncertainty as to what its future holds.

[3] As has been said, talk to your teachers. See what they reasonably think you are heading for. Do YOU think you could push BBB up to AAA if this is what you get? If so, and your teachers are willing to predict you as such, then go for it. If they won't, but you nonetheless end up with AAA, much better to take a gap year and apply with the AAA.

[4] Foundation years are normally for people with disadvantaged backgrounds or those who didn't take the right A-levels.

Continue to prepare as if you're applying this September, enjoy your summer, and wait until you have your AS grades in your hand before making any big decisions.
Have you considered studying in other parts of Europe? They only want BBB at A-levels, and all you have to do is pasd thier entrance exam. I understand that there might be financial issues. However, you can always get a Loan. If i don't get into Medicine, i'm going to consider moving. I've just done my gcse's, and i've looked into every route of juat doing the course. I hope you do great in your A-levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Completely agree with everything that's been said. So There are still lots of options! Don't give up if it's what you really want to do :smile:

Please Wait until results day because although it may seem your exams haven't gone as well as you wanted them to, just how I thought last year, they most likely have gone better than you think! So don't rule anything out just yet

If you don't get the results you want, yes it may close a few doors regarding which unis you can apply to but there are lots you can still apply to! Do lots of research and you can apply to your strengths :smile:. Some unis look at predicted grades and other aspects.
Try at the moment to do the best you can to excel in other areas that universities look at eg work experience, ukcat, bmat, personal statement etc!

Even if you apply and say your teachers don't give you the predicted grades you need or your AS grades are too low etc don't worry. You can still apply this year as it will give you an idea of what the application process is like, but in yr 13 you will have to work really hard for all of your exams and focus on trying to achieve that AAA so you can reapply the next year! It is all possible!

The key is applying to your strengths. Good luck and enjoy your summer!
Reply 6
Original post by junior.doctor
[1] Don't write off your results until you have that piece of paper in your hand. Things will often have not gone as badly as you think.

[2] It is better to try to apply to medicine as a first degree if you can, rather than relying on the possibility of graduate entry - graduate entry and its funding is changing, and there is uncertainty as to what its future holds.

[3] As has been said, talk to your teachers. See what they reasonably think you are heading for. Do YOU think you could push BBB up to AAA if this is what you get? If so, and your teachers are willing to predict you as such, then go for it. If they won't, but you nonetheless end up with AAA, much better to take a gap year and apply with the AAA.

[4] Foundation years are normally for people with disadvantaged backgrounds or those who didn't take the right A-levels.

Continue to prepare as if you're applying this September, enjoy your summer, and wait until you have your AS grades in your hand before making any big decisions.

If i don't achieve an AAA at A2 what other degrees could i take which are similar to medicine, but unlike biomed, in how you spend most of your time in laboratories.
Original post by Vishaaal
If i don't achieve an AAA at A2 what other degrees could i take which are similar to medicine, but unlike biomed, in how you spend most of your time in laboratories.

I don't know, it's not something I'm very familiar with. I would have thought that most / all bioscience degrees would be significantly lab-based. At the end of the day, don't do a degree just to get into medicine - grad entry is very competitive, and as we've said, likely to change in the coming years. So it's important that whatever first degree you pick, you'd be happy with as a career if needs be. Bear in mind that you don't have to have a bioscience degree to do grad medicine - some but not all unis will accept a non-science degree.

If your A-level grades are only one grade out, it might be worth retaking and reapplying with resit grades - although this comes with its own set of challenges and will narrow the number if unis you can apply to.

BUT get your results first, you still have plenty of time to think things through after that.
Reply 8
How would i be able to find this information as i would like to know if its possible to study in Latvia or Sweden etc.
Original post by basit282828
Have you considered studying in other parts of Europe? They only want BBB at A-levels, and all you have to do is pasd thier entrance exam. I understand that there might be financial issues. However, you can always get a Loan. If i don't get into Medicine, i'm going to consider moving. I've just done my gcse's, and i've looked into every route of juat doing the course. I hope you do great in your A-levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by krishugh
How would i be able to find this information as i would like to know if its possible to study in Latvia or Sweden etc.

Just on the the latvian university website, and thwy should have information. if not, just send them an email.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending