The Student Room Group

Applying for PGCE without school experience

Hello,

I have just graduated with a degree in physics from the university of London and have decided I would like to become a physics teacher. I have thought about it before but only just made the final decision. I wasn't aware that I needed to obtain some experience observing classes before I apply for the PGCE course and as such I have left it late and considering how close the end of term is now for secondary school students I am struggling to find schools which can accommodate me at the moment.

If I am unable to find somewhere which will let me sit in in the final week and I can't get the experience am I still able to apply to go on the course or will it be immediately rejected?

I understand that physics is a subject which has a shortage of physics graduate applicants, would that help them forgive the lack of classroom experience?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Original post by Mr. Grieves
Hello,

I have just graduated with a degree in physics from the university of London and have decided I would like to become a physics teacher. I have thought about it before but only just made the final decision. I wasn't aware that I needed to obtain some experience observing classes before I apply for the PGCE course and as such I have left it late and considering how close the end of term is now for secondary school students I am struggling to find schools which can accommodate me at the moment.

If I am unable to find somewhere which will let me sit in in the final week and I can't get the experience am I still able to apply to go on the course or will it be immediately rejected?

I understand that physics is a subject which has a shortage of physics graduate applicants, would that help them forgive the lack of classroom experience?

Cheers

You can certainly still get school experience. You just need to be persistent to secure it. Where geographically are you?
It's a compulsory requirement that you have at least 2 weeks experience. You still have time to find some, because of your subject ( which yes is sought after, but not ridiculously so ) you can apply for a school expeirence programme on the teach website ( have a Google ).

You've still got time! And the experience will be beneficial to you, not just the application, to further cement in your mind that this is what you want to do with your life! :-)
Reply 3
Hello,

I'm in Manchester. I went with the option of School Experience Programme and have managed to find a placement. The university of Manchester only requires a minimum of 2 days, not 2 weeks. Thanks for the help.
Reply 4
Hi guys,

I recently applied for a PGCE with one year of teaching experience in Spain (6-13) and 3 months in England as a PPA Spanish Teacher (Year 3 - 6) and I got declined on the basis I had no secondary experience. I think this is a joke as I now have to wait another year to re-apply and in my opinion I have more than enough experience. Granted I haven't observed any Secondary School classes but I've actually been teaching.

Did you find out if there was a minimum time you needed? Also, how did you application go?

All the best

Original post by Mr. Grieves
Hello,
Cheers
Even if you absolutely can't get the experience I would still consider sending an application. Some unis may want to fill their course places.

Some unis say you must have two weeks teaching experience (mmu does) but not all of them.

Sure you may be at a disadvantage but with physics being a shortage subject and for the sake of not wanting to wait a whole academic year I would apply.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending