The Student Room Group

Passed my test 2 days ago, but nervous about driving alone!

2 days ago, to everyone's surprise including my own, I passed my driving test (first time). I have since been on two small drives alone.
The first was on the night that I passed. I simply did a few laps round the block. My second was yesterday (in the 35°C heat) which involved me going along the high street. This drive was pretty damned awkward alone. I got quite stressed. There were some nasty meeting situations (one required both of us to slow to 1mph just to pass each other). My car even brushed the kerb at one point.

As someone who has only just passed, I am now at my most vulnerable. I am nervous to do bigger drives and I have yet to go to my first roundabout alone. I am very nervous about driving alone. My parents now want me to do some more chores by driving, but I am very nervous. I feel like I need someone else in the car to assist me and tell me should I try and do something dangerous. But this time, I'm all alone and left to my own devices.

I am really worried that I am going to have a prang or a scrape, or get hopelessly lost or something like that. The fact I was getting stressed last drive makes me a little hesitant to go out again today.

Is it normal to feel like this just after passing? How did you guys cope with it?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minecraft27
2 days ago, to everyone's surprise including my own, I passed my driving test. I have since been on two small drives alone.
The first was on the night that I passed. I simply did a few laps round the block. My second was yesterday (in the 35°C heat) which involved me going along the high street. This drive was pretty damned awkward alone. I got quite stressed. There were some nasty meeting situations (one required both of us to slow to 1mph just to pass each other). My car even brushed the kerb at one point.
As someone who has only just passed, I am now at my most vulnerable. I am nervous to do bigger drives and I have yet to go to my first roundabout alone. I am very nervous about driving alone. My parents now want me to do some more chores by driving, but I am very nervous. I feel like I need someone else in the car to assist me and tell me should I try and do something dangerous. But this time, I'm all alone and left to my own devices.
I am really worried that I am going to have a prang or a scrape, or get hopelessly lost or something like that. The fact I was getting stressed last drive makes me a little hesitant to go out again today.
Is it normal to feel like this just after passing? How did you guys cope with it?

i was in the same situation. Start small and keep doing small until you are comfortable. I use to just drive to my post office to get a paper and every time i did it, i felt better. Drive slow, just take your time and slowly confidence will grow!
I still kinda feel like that because the whole 'starting lessons, taking test, pass test' think happened really quickly and took me by surprise! What I think helped me was taking a long 2hr journey through various roads whilst following someone, so I was driving alone but still had someone there just in case.

I am doing much better at alone driving now, if you've passed then you're good enough, so have confidence, you're doing just fine!
If it makes you feel any better, the very first time I drove alone, I bumped another car in a car park. :lol: You've already succeeded in not doing that, so that's good news. Anyway, that was 11 years ago and it's still the only accident I've ever had. You'll gradually get better - after that first episode, I found it helped to make sure I either had no music on or very quiet music, and to go over familiar routes that I took as a learner. If you have a willing and trustworthy friend/family member, I also found that company helped (just not anyone too noisy/distracting!) Quiet car parks (e.g. supermarket car parks at night) can be a good place to practise too.

You'll be alright - these things improve with practice, and before you know it you'll be wondering why you were so nervous to begin with. :smile:
Just keep going out there and driving, it's really the only way you'll get more comfortable. I felt like this at first but made a point to drive difficult roads or busy streets so I wouldn't be afraid of them anymore :smile: now I actually prefer to drive alone haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
getting lost and having a prang? just get a sat nav and insurance and you're good to go :wink:

you dread it, but you'll be fine once you get a few miles under your belt, driving alone is a rather more relaxed and less regimented affair compared to taking lessons.

Just use your commonsense, you can obviously drive as you passed, you just need to learn how to really drive now.

Just one minor point, if you had to slow so much as to pretty much come to a stop and scrape your wheels, maybe you should have stopped anyway, or taken a more dominant road position and told the other car to stop, its pointless both cars creeping past when one could have let the other go and both been on your way a lot quicker.
(edited 8 years ago)
Have a few more lessons that that you've passed your test - definitely get an hour of professional instruction on motorways.

Also suggest you fit a dashcam in case you have an accident - if you're a new driver, any decisions on accident faults are likely to be biased against you, it could save hundreds in insurance premiums.

If it were a different time of year, I'd suggest getting some night time practice in with an instructor too, but sadly it doesn't ever get properly dark this time of year.

I'd suggest you just start driving by really short runs - to the local shop and back - and gradually build up your journeys over the next few months.
Reply 7
I have only been driving just over a month now and like yourself was nervous about driving alone for the first.
Just take your time an start off with going to the local shops or finding a quiet road and drive up and down it for while till your confident enough to go further, the same with roundabouts I HATE!!!!! them lol where I live its roundabouts everywhere so they are unavoidable but just take your time with them aswell and don't let anyone rush you or intimidate you.
Good luck and enjoy like everyone else said you're obviously good enough to drive or you wouldn't have passed
Driving on your own can be so scary at first.
I remeber approaching my first box junction and cheering I made it out alive.
Now a month in I'm doing 4 hours journeys on the motorway home.
I recommend short journeys and building up, but throw yourself into it.

I also reccomend not having mates in the car who don't drive - they do not understand the nerves of the road and you will probably want to kill them when they don't understand why you are stressed out about a car meeting you in the road.

Don't let nerves hold you back, you can do it, and all new drivers have bumps. (Just try to make it walls, fences and kerbs - other drivers is usually bad)

Also, don't get p plates. I spent a fiver on mine just to be yelled abuse at by chavs.
Reply 9
2 days ago, to everyone's surprise including my own, I passed my driving test (first time). I have since been on two small drives alone.

Congratulations!!
And no need to feel nervous at all, though this is understandable of course, given that you are a new driver. More practice should give you more confidence. Try to keep positive!
I myself was very nervous too back when I was learning to drive, and passed my test after quite a number of attempts.
Reply 10
Quite a few people are like this but I'm the opposite, can't wait until I can drive on my own. I find other people in the car a distraction if anything to be honest.
I just passed my test yesterday and I'm also feeling nervous but I just plan to drive on roads I know and at the speed that suits me and if others think I should speed up, well, screw them they can overtake
I passed my test in February 2014 and I still get nervous every time I drive my car. In a way it's a good thing to be nervous cause you're more likely to be cautious, and therefore less likely to cause an accident.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Driving on your own can be so scary at first.
I remeber approaching my first box junction and cheering I made it out alive.
Now a month in I'm doing 4 hours journeys on the motorway home.
I recommend short journeys and building up, but throw yourself into it.

I also reccomend not having mates in the car who don't drive - they do not understand the nerves of the road and you will probably want to kill them when they don't understand why you are stressed out about a car meeting you in the road.

Don't let nerves hold you back, you can do it, and all new drivers have bumps. (Just try to make it walls, fences and kerbs - other drivers is usually bad)

Also, don't get p plates. I spent a fiver on mine just to be yelled abuse at by chavs.

My instructor told me not to get P-plates. I am now driving a car without any plates. But I still drive like a learner (as I was still one this time 3 days ago) so I bet people think I drive like an old person lel

I went on a longer drive last night, over my first ever roundabout alone. I had four cyclists to overtake, one after the other after the other. People behind me on the 60mph road were driving close behind me and I was overtaken twice for doing the speed limit. Even without L-plates.
(edited 8 years ago)
My instructor told me not to get P-plates. I am now driving a car without any plates. But I still drive like a learner (as I was still one this time 3 days ago) so I bet people think I drive like an old person lel

I went on a longer drive last night, over my first ever roundabout alone. I had four cyclists to overtake, one after the other after the other. People behind me on the 60mph road were driving close behind me and I was overtaken twice for doing the speed limit. Even without L-plates.

This is going to happen, more so at night because all the racers arise then.

You'll find people will go right up your arse but don't speed up for anyone unless you are comfortable and happy to do so. As long as your at or 5pmh under the speed limit I'd just leave them behind or on an a road/motorway let them pass.

The motorway was my hardest speed limit to adjust too, as basically 70mph (national speed limit) doesn't exist, it's generally 85mph
This is going to happen, more so at night because all the racers arise then.

You'll find people will go right up your arse but don't speed up for anyone unless you are comfortable and happy to do so. As long as your at or 5pmh under the speed limit I'd just leave them behind or on an a road/motorway let them pass.

The motorway was my hardest speed limit to adjust too, as basically 70mph (national speed limit) doesn't exist, it's generally 85mph

Maybe 9pm isn't the best time to drive after all.
Maybe 9pm isn't the best time to drive after all.

Its all relative, you get impatient people everywhere and anytime. they don't know you've just passed, and they will treat you like any other seasoned driver, in no time at all you'll be cursing the slow, unsure, cautious newly passed drivers, they are a thorn in the backside of everyone, you can tell a new driver a mile off

But evenings or early mornings are generally better for finding your feet so to speak, but I'll just throw this out there, there's nothing that'll give you more real experience than driving in the rush hour, or school run time, a baptism of fire, but in general other drivers are fine, people might seem like they are getting too close, but they are generally giving enough space

but if you gently swerve around in your lane a bit a bit not holding your road position and put on your breaks unnecessarily on a few corners, people will keep a good distance back like they should :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
I had P plates for a while after I passed, it really helped me feel more confident when driving alone because I felt like people would be more forgiving if I made a mistake haha.
I also went out with my mum, friends or boyfriend during most journeys, just because it made me feel more comfortable to have someone in the car, even though most of them can't drive themselves.
I also had my music on very quietly, because it made me a bit less stressed if I was driving by myself - however not so loud that it was distracting.

You'll get the hang of it, don't worry. I was also very nervous driving by myself as I had a car accident on one of my driving lessons the month before, so I made sure to ease myself into it. But now I've been passed for 6 months and I'm perfectly fine driving alone :smile: Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CheesePuffff
I had P plates for a while after I passed, it really helped me feel more confident when driving alone because I felt like people would be more forgiving if I made a mistake now

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do help when you are getting used to the car and stalling!

How long did you keep yours for if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
They do help when you are getting used to the car and stalling!

How long did you keep yours for if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

About 6 weeks I think. I know that might be a long time to keep P plates on to some people, but I didn't really pay attention to the time and rather just took them off once I was comfortable. I'd say if you're feeling really nervous, having P plates on until you feel more at ease is a good idea - you might find you only need them on for a week or so :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest