The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do.

I have just been told that i am expected to get BBBC in my AS levels this year and that there is no way that i could get an A* in A2. I wanted to study mechanical engineering in university and many universities have entry requirements from A*A*A to ABB which are apparently unattainable for me. What other routes are there into university if you don't get the grades? Or do i just go into clearing? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by linoculum
I have just been told that i am expected to get BBBC in my AS levels this year and that there is no way that i could get an A* in A2. I wanted to study mechanical engineering in university and many universities have entry requirements from A*A*A to ABB which are apparently unattainable for me. What other routes are there into university if you don't get the grades? Or do i just go into clearing? Thanks.

You can definitely still get an A* at A2 in the subjects with BBB; in order to get an A* overall you need to average 80% over all of your AS and A2 modules together, and you need to average 90% over just your A2 modules (with the exception of Maths which requires 90% across C3 and C4). A B is 70%+ UMS, so if you scrape a 90% average over your A2 modules you'll have an A* in that subject. The C may be more difficult to get an A* in as you'd have to get closer to an average of 100% UMS at A2.

For more information on the A* at A-level, read this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=815293
Does anyone know a school that offers these subjects for a levels as options? Maths, English combined, media, drama. My school doesn't allow me to pick two subjects at one block a maths and drama are at the same block. I could not do anything. I want to be an actor and maths also takes you anywhere you want to go! so...
Reply 3
Original post by Doomlar
You can definitely still get an A* at A2 in the subjects with BBB; in order to get an A* overall you need to average 80% over all of your AS and A2 modules together, and you need to average 90% over just your A2 modules (with the exception of Maths which requires 90% across C3 and C4). A B is 70%+ UMS, so if you scrape a 90% average over your A2 modules you'll have an A* in that subject. The C may be more difficult to get an A* in as you'd have to get closer to an average of 100% UMS at A2.

For more information on the A* at A-level, read this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=815293

Thank you for the advice! I will check out that link
Original post by carliecarliecarl
Does anyone know a school that offers these subjects for a levels as options? Maths, English combined, media, drama. My school doesn't allow me to pick two subjects at one block a maths and drama are at the same block. I could not do anything. I want to be an actor and maths also takes you anywhere you want to go! so...

Mine probably could, but that may be pointless if you're living five hours away! Your best option is just to look at other local sixth forms to you and see what they say, or maybe you'll need to compromise a little bit (film instead of media, english lit instead of english combined).

Quick Reply

Latest