University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask about open days and applying to Sheffield for 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

I got my AS results a few days ago.
Bio: A
Chem: A
Math: A
Physics: C (this is because I got a D for unit 1. I will be retaking unit 1. Got a B for unit 2 and A for unit 3)

I'm interested in the biochem/genetics courses at Sheffield.

I was wondering if applicants normally apply with 4 full A levels and if it's strongly recommended to do 4 full As as opposed to 3.5 full As.

Also, how many applicants are there per place for the biochem courses?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by jackien1
I got my AS results a few days ago.
Bio: A
Chem: A
Math: A
Physics: C (this is because I got a D for unit 1. I will be retaking unit 1. Got a B for unit 2 and A for unit 3)

I'm interested in the biochem/genetics courses at Sheffield.

I was wondering if applicants normally apply with 4 full A levels and if it's strongly recommended to do 4 full As as opposed to 3.5 full As.

Also, how many applicants are there per place for the biochem courses?

Good morning :smile:

First, congratulations on your AS results. It's a great preparation for your A-levels to have done so well with your AS. I'm also delighted that you're thinking of applying to Sheffield.

At Sheffield, we normally make an offer based on 3 A-levels and the normal offer for biochemistry or genetics is AAA or AAB, with chemistry being the key subject for these courses.

Our preference would always be for a student to focus on 3 A-levels and achieve the grades we've asked for rather than for a student to do 4 A-levels and miss their grades. For example if your offer was AAB and you did 4 A-levels and achieved ABBB then you have missed your offer. Please be aware that this answer is the Sheffield perspective - some universities may feel differently so please contact the other universities you're interested in for their view.

We offer a range of courses in Biochemistry and Genetics and you can find out more about them here: www.sheffield.ac.uk/mbb/prospectiveug/courses
The courses share a common first year which provides you with extra flexibility because if you start on one course (eg Biochemistry) and then decide at the end of the first year that you'd like to switch to a course from the same department (eg Genetics), then that's not a problem.

In terms of the ratio for applications to places, at Sheffield the average is that we receive 7 applications for every undergraduate degree place (so for every offer we make, we have to turn down 6 applicants). The department provides guidance on the application process at: www.sheffield.ac.uk/mbb/prospectiveug/apply

A couple of things to note when you apply:
(i) There is no advantage to applying for more than one course in this department

(ii) This department likes to interview applicants and you will be invited to a departmental open day after we've received your application. However, if you are unable to attend the interview day, then the decision about your application will be based solely on your UCAS application form.

I hope that information is useful. Our next Undergraduate Open Days are on Saturday 5 September and Saturday 24 October and you are very welcome to visit us on either of those dates. As part of the day you can attend a subject talk led by the department to find out more about the courses and, in the subject exhibition, talk to staff and students more informally about the courses. There's also lots of other activities taking place to introduce you to Sheffield (accommodation tours, university fair, self-guided campus tour, study abroad talks, managing your money etc etc!). You can book a place at:
www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/opendays

Good luck with your UCAS application and your A-level studies.

Best regards

Elizabeth
UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
Original post by jackhaugh
I've got a deferred place at Newcastle Uni, so I'll be starting in September 2016, but I've found a course I'm really interested in at Sheffield which is also a more preferable destination for me. If I was to apply to this course, would I have to resubmit a whole new UCAS application with new personal statements, references etc?

Cheers

Dear Jack

I'm really pleased that you'd like to come to Sheffield. :smile: I've checked with our Admissions team and there are two ways foward depending on your circumstances:

(i) If you applied to Sheffield for 2015 entry, received an offer from us, and made Sheffield your Insurance choice, you don't need to submit a new application form. Instead, if you contact our admissions team, they can help you switch to Sheffield. Please contact our Confirmation and Clearing helpline on 0114 222 8015.

OR

(ii) If you didn't apply to Sheffield or you did apply and didn't receive an offer from Sheffield, then you will need to submit a new UCAS application for 2016 entry. Applications for 2016 entry open in September. The deadline for submitting the form is 15 October 2015 (for medicine or dentistry only) or 16 January 2016 for all of our other courses.

I hope that's useful and we look forward to seeing you in Sheffield!

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Dear Jack

I'm really pleased that you'd like to come to Sheffield. :smile: I've checked with our Admissions team and there are two ways foward depending on your circumstances:

(i) If you applied to Sheffield for 2015 entry, received an offer from us, and made Sheffield your Insurance choice, you don't need to submit a new application form. Instead, if you contact our admissions team, they can help you switch to Sheffield. Please contact our Confirmation and Clearing helpline on 0114 222 8015.

OR

(ii) If you didn't apply to Sheffield or you did apply and didn't receive an offer from Sheffield, then you will need to submit a new UCAS application for 2016 entry. Applications for 2016 entry open in September. The deadline for submitting the form is 15 October 2015 (for medicine or dentistry only) or 16 January 2016 for all of our other courses.

I hope that's useful and we look forward to seeing you in Sheffield!

Best regards

Elizabeth

Thanks very much Elizabeth!
Good morning :smile:

First, congratulations on your AS results. It's a great preparation for your A-levels to have done so well with your AS. I'm also delighted that you're thinking of applying to Sheffield.

At Sheffield, we normally make an offer based on 3 A-levels and the normal offer for biochemistry or genetics is AAA or AAB, with chemistry being the key subject for these courses.

Our preference would always be for a student to focus on 3 A-levels and achieve the grades we've asked for rather than for a student to do 4 A-levels and miss their grades. For example if your offer was AAB and you did 4 A-levels and achieved ABBB then you have missed your offer. Please be aware that this answer is the Sheffield perspective - some universities may feel differently so please contact the other universities you're interested in for their view.

We offer a range of courses in Biochemistry and Genetics and you can find out more about them here: www.sheffield.ac.uk/mbb/prospectiveug/courses
The courses share a common first year which provides you with extra flexibility because if you start on one course (eg Biochemistry) and then decide at the end of the first year that you'd like to switch to a course from the same department (eg Genetics), then that's not a problem.

In terms of the ratio for applications to places, at Sheffield the average is that we receive 7 applications for every undergraduate degree place (so for every offer we make, we have to turn down 6 applicants). The department provides guidance on the application process at: www.sheffield.ac.uk/mbb/prospectiveug/apply

A couple of things to note when you apply:
(i) There is no advantage to applying for more than one course in this department

(ii) This department likes to interview applicants and you will be invited to a departmental open day after we've received your application. However, if you are unable to attend the interview day, then the decision about your application will be based solely on your UCAS application form.

I hope that information is useful. Our next Undergraduate Open Days are on Saturday 5 September and Saturday 24 October and you are very welcome to visit us on either of those dates. As part of the day you can attend a subject talk led by the department to find out more about the courses and, in the subject exhibition, talk to staff and students more informally about the courses. There's also lots of other activities taking place to introduce you to Sheffield (accommodation tours, university fair, self-guided campus tour, study abroad talks, managing your money etc etc!). You can book a place at:
www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/opendays

Good luck with your UCAS application and your A-level studies.

Best regards

Elizabeth

Thanks Elizabeth! That was useful information. However, I am living in Singapore so I probably won't be able to attend those open days.

Do international applicants not do interviews if they are unable to physically make it to Sheffield?
Thanks Elizabeth! That was useful information. However, I am living in Singapore so I probably won't be able to attend those open days.

Do international applicants not do interviews if they are unable to physically make it to Sheffield?

Hi there :smile:

I've checked with the department and there's no expectation that students living outside the UK will travel to Sheffield for an interview. If the admissions tutor did want to discuss your application, they would do this via Skype (or similar), but often they'll base their decision wholly on your application form.

If you are in the UK for another reason (for example visiting friends and family) and you would like to visit Sheffield, please let us know. As long as we have notice, we can usually arrange for you to have a campus tour and meet someone from the department as we fully appreciate that coming to one of our scheduled open days is difficult when you're coming from such a distance.

Good luck with your application :smile:

Elizabeth
I'm really sorry about all the questions, but if I was to submit a whole new application, could I just include the references attached from college? I'd struggle to get decent references otherwise as I worked for my Dad through school then myself, so I won't have employers etc. Also I'm taking the year out through medical reasons rather than to work or travel, so that sort of reinforces that more.

Thanks again
Hi there,
I got my As result back and got
Chemistry - B (7 UMS off an A)
Maths- B
ICT-B (3 UMS off an A and getting it remarked)
Biology-C (9UMS off a B) (resitting)
I was really interested in studing dentistry at Sheffield. Will these grades put me at a disadvantage?

Kind regards
Tracy
I'm really sorry about all the questions, but if I was to submit a whole new application, could I just include the references attached from college? I'd struggle to get decent references otherwise as I worked for my Dad through school then myself, so I won't have employers etc. Also I'm taking the year out through medical reasons rather than to work or travel, so that sort of reinforces that more.

Thanks again

Hi Jack

No worries :smile:. It's fine to use the references that are written by your college tutors - the reference has to include information about your suitability to study at university so we'd expect it to be written by teachers who have taught you.

I would also advise that you look at our information about disrupted studies as this enables you to provide more information about serious issues that have affected you (including medical issues):
www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/applying/disrupted/applicant

If there's anything else you'd like to ask, please do, either via the forum or via private message.

All the best

Elizabeth
Original post by TrayTrayDinh
Hi there,
I got my As result back and got
Chemistry - B (7 UMS off an A)
Maths- B
ICT-B (3 UMS off an A and getting it remarked)
Biology-C (9UMS off a B) (resitting)
I was really interested in studing dentistry at Sheffield. Will these grades put me at a disadvantage?

Kind regards
Tracy

Hi Tracy

Well done on your AS results :smile:. In Dentistry, we tend to focus on your GCSE results and your predicted A-level grades when assessing UCAS applications:
www.sheffield.ac.uk/dentalschool/undergraduate/bds/selection

Elizabeth
Hi Tracy

Well done on your AS results :smile:. In Dentistry, we tend to focus on your GCSE results and your predicted A-level grades when assessing UCAS applications:
www.sheffield.ac.uk/dentalschool/undergraduate/bds/selection

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth

Thank you so much! You don't know how much you made my day :smile:

Tracy
I am interested in applying to Sheffield for dentistry. In my AS I got 4As in maths, chemistry, biology and physics. And in my GCSEs I got 5A*, 3A and 1B, on your website the GCSE requirments are 6 As Including maths sciences and English language, however I got a B in English language, will this mean I will be automatically rejected? I got an A in English literature if that can be any substitute?
Hi there :smile:

I've checked with the department and there's no expectation that students living outside the UK will travel to Sheffield for an interview. If the admissions tutor did want to discuss your application, they would do this via Skype (or similar), but often they'll base their decision wholly on your application form.

If you are in the UK for another reason (for example visiting friends and family) and you would like to visit Sheffield, please let us know. As long as we have notice, we can usually arrange for you to have a campus tour and meet someone from the department as we fully appreciate that coming to one of our scheduled open days is difficult when you're coming from such a distance.

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth!
I was wondering, what's the ratio of students applying with 3 A levels as opposed to 3.5/4 A levels?

In the case of tied individual cases, the extra subject is looked at?

So the individual with 3.5/4 A levels is favored.
In the case of no interview.

Thanks for your time :smile:
Hi Elizabeth!
I was wondering, what's the ratio of students applying with 3 A levels as opposed to 3.5/4 A levels?

In the case of tied individual cases, the extra subject is looked at?

So the individual with 3.5/4 A levels is favored.
In the case of no interview.

Thanks for your time :smile:

Morning :smile:

At Sheffield we take a holistic approach to assessing UCAS applications so whilst your predicted grades are important, so are other parts of your application (your personal statement and tutor's reference) and we'd take all these into account when making a decision. If you'd prefer to take an extra A-level (so you're doing 4 instead of 3), that's perfectly fine but it wouldn't necessarily give you an advantage over other candidattes applying to Sheffield.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Morning :smile:

At Sheffield we take a holistic approach to assessing UCAS applications so whilst your predicted grades are important, so are other parts of your application (your personal statement and tutor's reference) and we'd take all these into account when making a decision. If you'd prefer to take an extra A-level (so you're doing 4 instead of 3), that's perfectly fine but it wouldn't necessarily give you an advantage over other candidattes applying to Sheffield.

Best regards

Elizabeth

Thank you!
I once heard from a teacher that the AS qualification, in comparison to a full A, is basically a joke.
The teacher then went on to say that a D at A2 would be better received than a B at AS level.
The subject in question was Econs and the student was hoping to apply to medicine.

Was the teacher right?
Thank you!
I once heard from a teacher that the AS qualification, in comparison to a full A, is basically a joke.
The teacher then went on to say that a D at A2 would be better received than a B at AS level.
The subject in question was Econs and the student was hoping to apply to medicine.

Was the teacher right?

I'd disagree, AAAb would look much better than AAAD I think, or even AABD if the extra work load affects other studies. If there are any Ds on your resume then I doubt they'll get a look in for medicine. My friend was unbelievably smart, got all A*s for GCSE and A Level and still didn't get an offer until he took a gap year.
I'd disagree, AAAb would look much better than AAAD I think, or even AABD if the extra work load affects other studies. If there are any Ds on your resume then I doubt they'll get a look in for medicine. My friend was unbelievably smart, got all A*s for GCSE and A Level and still didn't get an offer until he took a gap year.

Your friend got all A*s at A level and didn't get a medicine offer? Why not? Where did he apply to? Was his personal statement not good? Or his interview.

Did he not do the right subjects?
Your friend got all A*s at A level and didn't get a medicine offer? Why not? Where did he apply to? Was his personal statement not good? Or his interview.

Did he not do the right subjects?

When he first applied they just rejected him without a reason. He did 3 sciences and maths, he was a GENIUS. He volunteered at hospices, did charity events, a model student basically. Don't know why he didn't get an offer first time around but now he's in Liverpool doing medicine.
Reply 38
Hello,

I am currently on a gap year, and going to be applying to dentistry this year. I have 3A*s (Bio, Chem, Maths) and one A (Physics), also 7A*s and 4As at GCSE. I have 2 weeks work experience from last month in a general dental practice, another 2 weeks from Year 10, and actually worked as a dental nurse for 4 months this year. Also got a place at a general dental practice for 1-2 days a week work experience/ volunteering for the next year. I was a science prefect in school, which involved going to the local primary school to teach groups of younger children Science. My UKCAT score is 722.5. Does this sound like a strong application? What else can I do to enhance it? Is not volunteering at say a hospital long term a big minus for my application? Thanks in advance.
Reply 39
Hi,

I'm a Psychology graduate with a 2:1. I initially wanted to read medicine but I couldn't meet any offers because of personal issues that led to disruptions during my last year - I took A levels in History (A), Chemistry (D) and Biology (C - a handful of marks from a B) and an AS in Maths. I then took a year where I did AS and A2 physics (C) and English literature (B - one mark from an A) in one year and chose to study Psychology instead. I am now employed in a permanent graduate lab/ experimental technician role at the University I graduated from. To cut a long story very short, in my spare time and in my role I'm involved in a number of software projects - both from a technical side and a psychology experimental side. This has led me to have a constant connection to software development - currently I'm working on a few pieces of custom software that will help speed up our work processes and to better serve faculty/students as our university/department is rapidly expanding.

Anyway, two members of my family will be attending the university next year, as well as my partner potentially working in Sheffield.

All this adds up to me definitely wanting to apply for the MEng Software Engineering Course as a mature student.

In terms of applying, I've contacted the department and was told maths is a requirement even with a degree - which I'm obviously very happy with so I've signed up as a private candidate with a local centre.

This is where my questions come in:
1) as I'm not actually attending the school, is it acceptable to have a university lecturer be my referee?
1b) And I probably won't have predicted grades for My AS maths retake/A level maths - is this a problem?
2) in terms of applying, due to the context, I'll obviously be applying to just this university/this course - I was planning to mention the course/university directly because of this in my statement - is this frowned upon?

Many thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending