The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask about open days and applying to Sheffield for 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by em-robertss
Hello,
I'm interested in apply for the 2016 BA in English and Theatre and I have a few questions regarding course entry.
The required grades are stated on the website as AAB including English; I do the combined English A level, Literature and Language, and I was wondering whether a B grade in this subject would be acceptable as long as I got As in my other A levels (Theatre Studies and Media) and how flexible are the requirements, for example would A*BB be accepted with a strong personal statement?
Also, how many people apply to this course each year/ how many are accepted?
Sorry for all the questions! I've been to an open day and I absolutely love the city and the university! I've already been back to have a look around Sheffield as a whole!
Thank you so much :smile:

Hello :smile:

Thank you for your message and please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

To answer your questions, it doesn’t matter which subjects the A and B grades are in. There is a usually a degree of flexibility with the requirements and it is very likely that A*BB would be acceptable.

With regards to the numbers of students accepted each year, the department aims to take between 15 and 20 students. Last year the department received between 80-90 applications.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Best wishes

Nancy
Student Recruitment Administrator
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hi!

I'm a prospective student and would really like to study medicine at Sheffield. I was wondering if you could provide some data on the number of applicants/offers/interviews for this year and possibly lasts?

Thank you!
Original post by ScarletRose
Hi!

I'm a prospective student and would really like to study medicine at Sheffield. I was wondering if you could provide some data on the number of applicants/offers/interviews for this year and possibly lasts?

Thank you!

Thank you for your message.

The Medical School have provided me with the following details below:

2013 Entry
2,853 Applications
542 Interviews
338 Offers

2014 Entry
2,310 Applications
588 Interviews
363 Offers

2015 Entry
1,779 Applications
574 Interviews
387 Offers

Please note that the application numbers are approximate as we lose some unsuccessful applicants to Biomedical Science.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application.

All the best,

Nancy
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I am thinking of applying to do orthoptics, I was wondering where you could answer some questions I may have:
1) In a average week how many times do students attend for lectures/practicals etc.
2) if possible could you provide information on how many applicants for orthoptics were there for the past 2 years and how many were given interviews and had offers
3) lastly from what times do open days start and end
Many thanks,
Hello,

I am looking to apply for Zoology at Sheffield for 2016 entry.
I have AAAB (Biology, Geology, English Combined and Religious Studies) at AS. I am now studying Biology, Geology and RS at A2. My RS teacher has advised that I resit my AS this year in addition to my A2 exams, because it is a low B and I know that the typical offer for Zoology at Sheffield is AAB and she is concerned that I may end up with a C in RS.

My question is this: Does Sheffield reject or or look unfavourably on students who resit an AS?
Does the university mind how long the applicant took to finish their a levels? For your science courses.
Original post by jackien1
Does the university mind how long the applicant took to finish their a levels? For your science courses.

We're really pleased you're thinking of studying at Sheffield. Normally we expect students to complete their A-levels in 2 years.

However, we appreciate that sometimes things don't always go according to plan.

For some courses (although not medicine) we do consider applications from students who have taken re-sits and taken longer than 3 years to complete their A-levels: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/policies/resits

If you would like more information, please contact our Applicant Information Desk (AID), [email protected], 0114 222 8030.

To provide a fuller answer to your query, AID would need to know which science courses you were considering applying for.

Good luck with your application.

Nancy
Reply 67
Hi!
I'm thinking about applying to sheffield for medicine, I have 4 As at As (maths,chemistry,biology and geography), 5A* 6As at GCSE and 665 in the UKCAT. I've done a year volunteering in hospital, a week in a GP and two weeks shadowing doctors. Would I stand a decent chance applying to sheffield? Is there anything you'd recommend to make my application stronger?
Cheers :smile:
Reply 68
Hi I'm thinking about applying for medicine at Sheffield,
GCSEs: 3A*s, 4As, 4Bs
AS: AAAB
A2 Predictions: A*AA
Regarding my GCSEs my school made me take two a year early which I got As in and apparently this might affect my application here? To confirm I received 2As in year 10 and 3A*s, 2As,4Bs in year 11. Would this affect my chances of applying here?
I want to do maths at university of sheffield. I got AAABB in Maths, Extended Project, Economics & Business, Physics, and Geography repsectively. I am just wondering if I can get an offer with one grade lower, which is ABB with an A in extended project.
Reply 70
Hi,I'm interested in studying economics and politics at sheffield next year and I was wondering if my application if worth it. For AS I got:colone:nglish Lit: C (1UMS off a B)Sociology: BBusiness Sudies: BEconomics: D (1UMS off a C)I've done plenty of extracurricular stuff like a relevant EPQ as well as the royal economic society essay competition. I've been predicted AAB for A2 and was wondering if my application was worth submitting.Thank you
Original post by ZoologyDreamer
Hello,

I am looking to apply for Zoology at Sheffield for 2016 entry.
I have AAAB (Biology, Geology, English Combined and Religious Studies) at AS. I am now studying Biology, Geology and RS at A2. My RS teacher has advised that I resit my AS this year in addition to my A2 exams, because it is a low B and I know that the typical offer for Zoology at Sheffield is AAB and she is concerned that I may end up with a C in RS.

My question is this: Does Sheffield reject or or look unfavourably on students who resit an AS?

Thank you for your message.
I have spoken to the department and they have told me that having to re-sit exams is fine; all students are given the same consideration for this course.

Good luck with your application.

All the best,

Nancy
Original post by EducatedFH
Hi, I am thinking of applying to do orthoptics, I was wondering where you could answer some questions I may have:
1) In a average week how many times do students attend for lectures/practicals etc.
2) if possible could you provide information on how many applicants for orthoptics were there for the past 2 years and how many were given interviews and had offers
3) lastly from what times do open days start and end
Many thanks,

Thanks for your message. I can give you the following information in answer to your questions:

1. The average number of teaching sessions per week is approximately 25 hours but it does vary from week to week.

2. The department receives approximately 6-7 applicants for each place available on the course and offers are given to applicants who are suitable following interviews which take place between December and March.

3. The central University Open Day, on Saturday 24 October, is on from 10am-4pm. There is an Opthalmology and Orthoptics talk taking place at 11am. To book a place please visit: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/opendays
The Medical School also has departmental open days, these normally run from 10am-4.30pm. You can find out more about these open days here: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/openday

I hope this helps and good luck with your application.

Best wishes,

Nancy
Original post by anonsss
Hi,

I'm interested in studying economics and politics at sheffield next year and I was wondering if my application if worth it. For AS I got:

English Lit: C (1UMS off a B)
Sociology: B
Business Sudies: B
Economics: D (1UMS off a C)

I've done plenty of extracurricular stuff like a relevant EPQ as well as the royal economic society essay competition. I've been predicted AAB for A2 and was wondering if my application was worth submitting.

Thank you

Hello,

Thanks for your message.

The University bases offers on predicted A-level grades, so don’t worry too much about your AS-Level grades. If you are predicted AAB at A2, your application is definitely worth submitting.

Good luck with your application :smile:

Nancy
Original post by iJAKE
Hi!
I'm thinking about applying to sheffield for medicine, I have 4 As at As (maths,chemistry,biology and geography), 5A* 6As at GCSE and 665 in the UKCAT. I've done a year volunteering in hospital, a week in a GP and two weeks shadowing doctors. Would I stand a decent chance applying to sheffield? Is there anything you'd recommend to make my application stronger?
Cheers :smile:

Thanks for your message. I will send you an inbox message now.

Nancy
Original post by daniellon
I want to do maths at university of sheffield. I got AAABB in Maths, Extended Project, Economics & Business, Physics, and Geography repsectively. I am just wondering if I can get an offer with one grade lower, which is ABB with an A in extended project.

I have sent you an inbox message.

Best wishes,

Nancy
Hi Sheffield University!

I am looking to apply to the University for a place in Biology or Biochemistry for entry 2016. I am British but I currently live in Spain and am doing the Spanish Baccalaureate. My mark last year was 8'75.

My query is whether or not it is necessary for me to do the PAU, the exams Spanish students do at the end of Baccalaureate to get into university in Spain. I have looked on your website and it neither confirms or denies the necessity to do these exams. I can't see it being necessary however on the websites of some universities and they do require it (though most don't).

I would like you to confirm for me whether I need to do those exams or not.

May I also ask you to let me know the statistics for how many applicants you generally receive for these courses, as well as for Zoology.

I look forward to applying to Sheffield in October.

Thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)
hi again,

My subject about my extended project is about the sustainability of nuclear power,which I think is not really relevant to Bsc maths. I am just wondering if can still get a slightly lower offer?😀
Hi

I'm interesting in applying to Sheffield for 2016 entry to study Politics and IR and was just wondering whether you could tell me the statistics for how many applicants have applied in previous years in comparison with how many have actually been accepted.

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AlanAtkinson
Hi!
I'm thinking about applying to sheffield for medicine, I have 4 As at As (maths,chemistry,biology and physics), 5A* 6As at GCSE and 665 in the UKCAT. I've done a year volunteering in care home, a week in a GP and three weeks shadowing doctors in Tanzania. Would I stand a decent chance applying to sheffield? Is there anything you'd recommend to make my application stronger?
Cheers

I will send you a message now.

All the best,

Nancy
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest