The Student Room Group

CV gap - how to cover it?

//
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Say you did agency work, e.g. waitering or something like that. Nobody will ask you to prove that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Pretty sure they can ask for a reference.

They won't bother. Nobody ever has for me. You won't get any other decent ideas other than travelling and this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Just say you did some temp work for MI:5.

Pretty sure you can then use "Its classified" as a reason.
I can't be the only graduate to have experienced this, so I'm wondering what other people do...
I'm applying to an entry level job and I want to leave my degree off the application form (this isn't about that though). Problem is, I have a year long gap on my CV. It was my final year of uni and I decided to leave my job to focus on my degree.
Without my degree on a form, a year is unaccounted for.
My friends/family have told me to say I went travelling...but I'm not keen on saying that. I don't want my degree on the form.
Ideas?

Honestly, put a disability on your CV.

Say you have autism, OCD or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or something.

Employers will go much easier on you.

Entry level jobs won't care. You have a degree. That doesn't stop the rest of your application/CV demonstrating you are competitive for the job.

Don't risk a lie for a reason employers won't care about anyway. if in doubt, don't put any Education in at all.

Tell them why you won't leave then!

But yes, you can leave it off, because many also won't care about a gap much.

Employers use detailed forms because they are fed up with BS like putting a year down for a 2 day placement!

There's no one perfect answer to any of this, because filtering CVs is a human activity. But the most likely successful route is to tell the truth, because if it doesn't come out in the application form and you get to the next stage because the employer didn't know something they care about, you'll only fail when they do find out. If they don't care, they don't care. So start your applications with the truth and only get taken forward by employers who aren't going to get surprises through the process.
Say you volunteered abroad or something along those lines. It's very unlikely that they'll ask for a volunteer reference, and even if they do, what's really to lose? You could just say you don't want the job anymore instead of them finding out if you're really that worried.
Best idea suggested as yet.
On a scale of ethical to hobnob, I'd say that's quite hobnob.

I am absolutely serious

stop trying to write the perfect CV and being neurotic over every single word on it.
Yeah, well there's being neurotic and then there's just being an outright liar - I know which I'd prefer.

it's not that bad

http://www.indeed.com/resumes?sp=0
Lieeeeeee!!!

Seriously, just do it. Hell, if they want a reference you can give them my number. Say you worked for me for a year (Lacuna Corporation, registered business).
Yeah, well there's being neurotic and then there's just being an outright liar - I know which I'd prefer.

If telling the truth isn't getting you anywhere, then I find it hard as to why you don't consider telling a minor lie like volunteering experience. I recall seeing you say you did Philosophy. Maybe if you're ditching Philosophy from my your CV, then you should also ditch it from your life. :wink:
Wow, that's a pretty cool search function. I didn't know you could do that. I'll have a look at the local competition. Btw, thanks for linking me to that - are you saying lot of them lie?

no, just wanted to let you see what other people wrote.

my point is, it does not have to be perfect and the most perfect CV in the world.
Reply 13
I can't be the only graduate to have experienced this, so I'm wondering what other people do...
I'm applying to an entry level job and I want to leave my degree off the application form (this isn't about that though). Problem is, I have a year long gap on my CV. It was my final year of uni and I decided to leave my job to focus on my degree.
Without my degree on a form, a year is unaccounted for.
My friends/family have told me to say I went travelling...but I'm not keen on saying that. I don't want my degree on the form.
Ideas?

Why don't you mention your degree?
Original post by Josb
Why don't you mention your degree?

It says in the post you quoted.
Reply 15
It says in the post you quoted.

You dropped out?
Reply 16
No. I have a 2.1.

So why don't you want to mention this? I don't get it.
Reply 17
Are you a graduate?

Yes why?
Reply 18
Are you a graduate?

Bro look. Just stop this stuff

The guy is trying to help you but all you're doing is being vague and stuff

Just get straight to the point yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
Yes why?

Do you find it hard getting entry level work with your degree? Might be a redundant question in you never have though. Not keen on this thread derailing into why I want to do this. I could leave my CV on it but 99% of entry level positions just bin it so I need to leave it off in future - which will leave a gap, hence people suggesting I make something up.

Original post by sf 2k15
Bro look. Just stop this stuff

The guy is trying to help you but all you're doing is being vague and stuff

Just get straight to the point yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

OKAY BRO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending