The Student Room Group

Can I swap courses at the same university?

Hiya, I'm meant to start a nursing degree in October at Birmingham City university but now I want to radiography. BCU do radiography so I was wondering will I be able to swap courses?
Ask BCU - nobody here will be able to give you a definitive answer. If you meet the entry requirements then you have a chance, but radiography is a competitive degree so they may say no, in which case you will have to decide if you want to take a gap year and reapply next year.
radiography although no as popular as nursing is still competitive so i really doubt you can switch, so take a gap year and reapplying is your best bet
Original post by Snufkin
Ask BCU - nobody here will be able to give you a definitive answer. If you meet the entry requirements then you have a chance, but radiography is a competitive degree so they may say no, in which case you will have to decide if you want to take a gap year and reapply next year.

Is radiography really a competitive degree? :O
Original post by morningstar49

I believe so, all NHS funded degrees are.

there were only 1059 diagnostic radiography in England for 15/16 so my question to you is define competitive?:P

http://www.sor.org/ezines/studenttalk/issue-73/hee-increases-radiography-training-places
Original post by Snufkin
I believe so, all NHS funded degrees are.

Oh myyy, oops my bad ahah! Didn't even know radiography is a NHS funded degree. I thought only nursing, midwifery and physiotherapy are NHS funded degrees!
Original post by claireestelle
there were only 1059 diagnostic radiography in England for 15/16 so my question to you is define competitive?:P

http://www.sor.org/ezines/studenttalk/issue-73/hee-increases-radiography-training-places

Ohhh I see, I didn't know that! I'm guessing that's supposed to be a rhetorical question so I'm not gonna answer it ahha. But thankyou! By the way,could you tell me the best Uni to do a radiography course in the UK?
Ohhh I see, I didn't know that! I'm guessing that's supposed to be a rhetorical question so I'm not gonna answer it ahha. But thankyou! By the way,could you tell me the best Uni to do a radiography course in the UK?

That i couldn't tell you, radiographers are registered health professionals so really the different between courses at universities cant vary massively so i d pick somewhere based on how you feel about the location of the uni, how they organise placements and other factors like that.
Original post by claireestelle
That i couldn't tell you, radiographers are registered health professionals so really the different between courses at universities cant vary massively so i d pick somewhere based on how you feel about the location of the uni, how they organise placements and other factors like that.

Thankyou sooo much! I was thinking that one of the Russell group's Unis might be the best place to apply for!
Original post by Thatmuslimahxo
Hiya, I'm meant to start a nursing degree in October at Birmingham City university but now I want to radiography. BCU do radiography so I was wondering will I be able to swap courses?

Hi there,

The Diagnostic Radiography course is currently full so we would advise you to speak with admissions to see whether they can keep your details on file should any places become available. Their contact number is 0121 331 5500 or you can email [email protected]

We hope that helps!

Sunny (BCU Team)
Reply 11

Just curious as to whether you've decided to hold off and apply for Radiography next year or to go through with Nursing? I used to study Nursing at BCU, however, near the end of my first year I withdrew after discovering a passion for Radiography. Unfortunately, I had to repeat my Access course as BCU now require a physics module which I didn't have at the time. Now, after 2 years out, I'll be returning to BCU in September this year to study Radiography. Finally! :smile:
I'm waiting for august 13th to do adjustment and if that doesn't work out then I'll just do nursing.
Reply 13
I'm waiting for august 13th to do adjustment and if that doesn't work out then I'll just do nursing.

Fair enough. Just don't settle for second best, do nursing only if it's what you want. Going into it when deep down it's not what you want will affect your studies. Good luck though.
Wait you need grades BCU at A level to do the course or is BCU something else? So how does this work as I heard NHS based subjects are very competitive and hard to get into also? If grades are not a big deal is it more of experience?
Original post by Cherry82
Wait you need grades BCU at A level to do the course or is BCU something else? So how does this work as I heard NHS based subjects are very competitive and hard to get into also? If grades are not a big deal is it more of experience?

BCU = Birmingham City University.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
BCU = Birmingham City University.

Oh haha, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending