The Student Room Group

Horrid first driving lesson

I had my first driving lesson today which was 2 hours and I felt so overwhelmed that I just burst into tears during the lesson and as soon as I walked through my front door afterwards.

The instructor is a nice guy but I feel like he wasn't teaching me in a way which made any sense. He named the pedals but didn't explain what they did (like when I lifted the clutch up when it was in gear the car moved forwards which startled me as I didn't expect it). I didn't stall but I found it hard to keep my feet still on the pedals whilst looking around before taking the hand-break off. I then realised I could move by having my foot on the clutch and the handbreak off and then once moving put my foot on the accelerator which was so much easier. Once I'm moving I'm fine but he didn't tell me how to stop and when you're trying to stop the car you're not receptive to him explaining things. I kept asking questions and trying to clarify things but he just didn't explain things well to me at all. I feel so negative about it and I don't think it's because I'm incompetent but because I'm frustrated that he won't help me understand it before I am moving.

Has anyone else changed instructors for this reason? I'm worried that I'm blaming him when it's just my fear of driving but I honestly feel that he didn't explain. I know people change instructors because they're rude but he was a nice guy just made me feel too overwhelmed. I'm wondering if I should learn in an automatic car instead and then once I've passed that test then, if I need to, learn again in a manual? I'm not good with practical things as it is and I feel that driving a manual is too complicated.

Do any of you have any advice? Thank you.
Reply 1
Change instructor
Original post by Sparkliest
I had my first driving lesson today which was 2 hours and I felt so overwhelmed that I just burst into tears during the lesson and as soon as I walked through my front door afterwards.
The instructor is a nice guy but I feel like he wasn't teaching me in a way which made any sense. He named the pedals but didn't explain what they did (like when I lifted the clutch up when it was in gear the car moved forwards which startled me as I didn't expect it). I didn't stall but I found it hard to keep my feet still on the pedals whilst looking around before taking the hand-break off. I then realised I could move by having my foot on the clutch and the handbreak off and then once moving put my foot on the accelerator which was so much easier. Once I'm moving I'm fine but he didn't tell me how to stop and when you're trying to stop the car you're not receptive to him explaining things. I kept asking questions and trying to clarify things but he just didn't explain things well to me at all. I feel so negative about it and I don't think it's because I'm incompetent but because I'm frustrated that he won't help me understand it before I am moving.
Has anyone else changed instructors for this reason? I'm worried that I'm blaming him when it's just my fear of driving but I honestly feel that he didn't explain. I know people change instructors because they're rude but he was a nice guy just made me feel too overwhelmed. I'm wondering if I should learn in an automatic car instead and then once I've passed that test then, if I need to, learn again in a manual? I'm not good with practical things as it is and I feel that driving a manual is too complicated.

Change instructors if you felt it was the instructor that wasn't helping :smile: There's nothing wrong with that at all.

It's a skill - it's not easy at first but you'll get it, you just have to get back on the horse :h: Don't be put off by your first lesson. I promise it does get easier over time, all you need is practice.

Also, once you've learned you don't forget - it's like riding a bike. :smile:

Good luck! :woo:

Spoiler

Im sorry that you had such a bad time :frown:

I used to do 2 hour lessons and honestly they were just way too much for me. I would strongly recommend bringing it down to 1 hour if that is possible as lessons will definitely feel less overwhelming.

Your driving instructor does not sound like a good one at all. If you are asking specific questions and he is not fully answering them then that is not a good thing. I don't think it's your fault at all i mean sure learning to drive can be a bit scary and hard at first, but with practice and good understanding you should get the hang of it.

My advice would be to stick with him for a while as you say he is a nice person which is good. If nothing improves and you still feel like you are not learning or fully understanding concepts then i would consider switching because that is most definitely a good enough reason.
(edited 8 years ago)
Change instructor and stick with a manual. Don't let one person ruin your experience of driving and dent your confidence.

I had a terrible first instructor - so terrible that I did 30 lessons with them and then switched to an automatic. I ended up spending way more money than I expected and couldn't afford to carry on with my lessons - I was 17 at the time. Then life got in the way (A-Levels/Uni) and I had other financial priorities so I didn't go back to learning to drive until I was 22. I passed first time with a brilliant instructor in a manual car.

Don't let it put you off - get another instructor. If they're rubbish, get another. Have a look online for the best recommended ones in your area. At first when I was 17 I went with a major driving school - personally I think they just want money out of you and take ages to teach you anything. I ended up with a highly recommended local instructor and his prices weren't higher than the major driving schools. Do some research and choose a good school with a recommended instructor - best of luck.
Reply 5
The instructor was with BSM although he was recommended by two friends and my Mum is friends with his wife. But I felt like he just rushed what he had to say because he had to say it rather than because he was trying to help me understand. The only reason I managed to move the car was because I remembered my Dad explaining how to move. I had no idea how to stop though and I kept asking but he wouldn't tell me until I was already moving and by then I'm too focussed on the school children on their bikes and scooters then listening to him.

My Mum's friend told me of another instructor who is a woman and is apparently very kind and patient. I've also contacted an automatic driving school and they have a slot available for next week. I don't know what to do. My lesson yesterday was £50 and I feel like it was a complete waste of money as I didn't learn anything, in fact I left the lesson more confused and nervous then I was when I started. What do you guys think? Should I try with another manual instructor or just go automatic? I want to learn as fast as possible and not burn through my savings.
Reply 6
Also, baring in mind the instructor is pretty much a family friend, what's the best way to explain I want to cancel my next lesson and all future lessons lol?
The instructor was with BSM

This means absolutely nothing. It is just a franchise - an umbrella company used by self-employed driving instructors so that they can benefit from the brand name, just like Burger King restaurants. All it means is that he is probably a bit more expensive than an instructor who is completely independent as he has to pay a cut to BSM.
The instructor was with BSM although he was recommended by two friends and my Mum is friends with his wife. But I felt like he just rushed what he had to say because he had to say it rather than because he was trying to help me understand. The only reason I managed to move the car was because I remembered my Dad explaining how to move. I had no idea how to stop though and I kept asking but he wouldn't tell me until I was already moving and by then I'm too focussed on the school children on their bikes and scooters then listening to him.
My Mum's friend told me of another instructor who is a woman and is apparently very kind and patient. I've also contacted an automatic driving school and they have a slot available for next week. I don't know what to do. My lesson yesterday was £50 and I feel like it was a complete waste of money as I didn't learn anything, in fact I left the lesson more confused and nervous then I was when I started. What do you guys think? Should I try with another manual instructor or just go automatic? I want to learn as fast as possible and not burn through my savings.

It would be much better to learn with a manual, so I would go with the the other instructor and see how you do. Don't be put off driving by one bad lesson - this is one of those things that happens. This is really isn't the kind of thing you can rush learning, you'll just need to take however long you need to take. It really helps if your parents or another driver can insure you on their car so you can practise driving with them :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Good bloke
This means absolutely nothing. It is just a franchise - an umbrella company used by self-employed driving instructors so that they can benefit from the brand name, just like Burger King restaurants. All it means is that he is probably a bit more expensive than an instructor who is completely independent as he has to pay a cut to BSM.

I know but he had paperwork with a list of everything he had to tell me and he seemed to rush through it. A bit like an a-level teacher just rushing through the syllabus so they can sit back and say they covered everything rather than actually helping the student understand what's going on.

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
It would be much better to learn with a manual, so I would go with the the other instructor and see how you do. Don't be put off driving by one bad lesson - this is one of those things that happens. This is really isn't the kind of thing you can rush learning, you'll just need to take however long you need to take. It really helps if your parents or another driver can insure you on their car so you can practise driving with them :smile:

I think I'm going to try manual with another instructor who is a female as I have a few friends who changed from male to female and found themselves to be more comfortable and confident around them. I just really have such a negative feeling regarding driving now whereas before I was so excited. I think the problem with the instructor is all he'd say is 'try again' without explaining what I did wrong.

Hey man, maybe give it another lesson or two. If it's still bad, switch. I didn't change instructor and I got to test ready state and failed (because of somebody else not indicating their intention at a roundabout) D:

I haven't driven for 5 years, so I'll be switching instructor anyway when I get back to it. Think I'm going to do bike first though :biggrin:

The thing where the car attempted to move with your foot on the clutch is because you'd found the bite point

Stopping, mirror > brake on (progressively) > clutch down when the speed drops > downshift > come to stop > handbrake on > ready the car if you're about to move off again (find bite point, clutch up slightly with accelerator down until you feel it wanting to move). Actually you should mirror and signal before that

EDIT: I also learnt with BSM. Don't know who I'll be relearning with though, since I last drove in 2010
It might be better to switch, no point giving more money if it's not working out
(edited 8 years ago)

Don't learn automatic. Manual for life
I know but he had paperwork with a list of everything he had to tell me and he seemed to rush through it. A bit like an a-level teacher just rushing through the syllabus so they can sit back and say they covered everything rather than actually helping the student understand what's going on.

I think I'm going to try manual with another instructor who is a female as I have a few friends who changed from male to female and found themselves to be more comfortable and confident around them. I just really have such a negative feeling regarding driving now whereas before I was so excited. I think the problem with the instructor is all he'd say is 'try again' without explaining what I did wrong.

This guy clearly isn't as good as your friends/family say he is. Get a new one. Say to him you'd be more comfortable learning with a girl rather than a guy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending