The Student Room Group

please help barry with shyness and social anxiety

i've been on a course for months, but i've not got close to anyone because of shyness and social anxiety. i regret it now as i finish up soon. i wanted the connections everyone on my course made. how do i freely talk to people and make friends before the course finishes? other people can do it, why can't i? how is it so easy to people? i don't understand why its so hard? i even tried adding one of them on facebook and got rejected, most likely for never talking much. so some constructive advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by savemebarry
i've been on a course for months, but i've not got close to anyone because of shyness and social anxiety. i regret it now as i finish up soon. i wanted the connections everyone on my course made. how do i freely talk to people and make friends before the course finishes? other people can do it, why can't i? how is it so easy to people? i don't understand why its so hard? i even tried adding one of them on facebook and got rejected, most likely for never talking much. so some constructive advice would be appreciated.

Make an effort to talk to them, force yourself out of your comfort zone.
Sometimes you need to reach out to people if they don't do that to you.

Be approachable, friendly and take risks, that is the only way.
Reply 3
It just takes practice. All people suffer from social anxiety at some point, especially when dealing with new people. But others often don't avoid social situations and so have more experience dealing with new people.

Feeling at ease is hard for people with SA so all your positive characteristics are hidden from view. It's not that you can't, it's just that your social skills are rusty. Join a group like this one http://www.meetup.com/leadinglightsocial/events/223127988/ and buy this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Social-Anxiety-Shyness-Gillian/dp/1849010005
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending