The Student Room Group

University Of Portsmouth's Petroleum Engineering Is Best!!

In my view University Of Portsmouth's Petroleum Engineering is one of the best choice because the course itself is designed by ( Saudi Aramco ) Oil company which is the world's no.1 E&P Company. How many of you support my opinion?

Scroll to see replies

I went for an open day in Portsmouth. The place seemed relatively nice. However, the classroom was big. I mean it could fit around 200 people or so and I remember the lecturer telling me that they had 150 first year students.

I can't remember how many students were on each class, but I believe that the less amount of classmates the better as you get more attentions from the staff.

In addition you can only do a Bachelor's and to make it worse the last time that I checked (it may have changed) the course is not accredited, therefore you won't become a chartered engineer.

If it's your only option go for it, in no way am I saying that the course is terrible or that the university is bad however there are better options. And hey, at the end a degree is a degree get yourself a first class honours and the world is yours.

Anyway, are you going there this september?
Reply 2
Yeah, I am going this September and It's clearly mentioned on website that this particular course is Accredited by IMECH.... Btw thanks for opinion:smile:

The other option was University Of Manchester but the problem is that their Student Union's and Petroleum Course's feedback isn't good plus the course is not accredited.... Almost the same is the case with Aberdeen and Salford. Only Leeds have best feedback among all
(edited 8 years ago)
Hm... It might have changed then, or I didn't look properly to begin with.

I cant believe that you turned down Aberdeen and Manchester though, I mean... they are the universities that have been doing this course for longer and with higher employment links, and they are accredited.

Manchester - http://www.seaes.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses/petroleumengineeringbeng/
Aberdeen - http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/engineering/petroleum_engineering/

I see that you are very excited to go to Portsmouth and enthusiasm is definitely good. If it was me though I would have gone either with Man or Abd because they offer MEng and have better industrial links. But if your heart it set out to Portsmouth then go for it. When we're young and set our minds into to something there is no turning us back hey, good luck bro.
Original post by mohsinnaveed
Yeah, I am going this September and It's clearly mentioned on website that this particular course is Accredited by IMECH.... Btw thanks for opinion:smile:

The other option was University Of Manchester but the problem is that their Student Union's and Petroleum Course's feedback isn't good plus the course is not accredited.... Almost the same is the case with Aberdeen and Salford. Only Leeds have best feedback among all

hold up. hold the phone.

how can Manchester NOT be accredited..? didn't they start the chemical engineering course? (IMO, i know this is about Petroleum engineering, but as Petroleum engineering can be seen as a type of chemical engineering, therefore this particular side of the argument is closed)

so how in tarnation would you assume that Manchester, of all places, Wouldn't be accredited..?

& btw, what do you mean by '..feedback isn't good..'?? :/
Reply 5
See Unistats pls... And unfortunately it's true that Manchester don't have accredited petroleum program
Reply 6
[QUOTE=Marquinhos;57506877]Hm... It might have changed then, or I didn't look properly to begin with.

I cant believe that you turned down Aberdeen and Manchester though, I mean... they are the universities that have been doing this course for longer and with higher employment links, and they are accredited.

Manchester - http://www.seaes.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses/petroleumengineeringbeng/
Aberdeen - http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/engineering/petroleum_engineering/

I see that you are very excited to go to Portsmouth and enthusiasm is definitely good. If it was me though I would have gone either with Man or Abd because they offer MEng and have better industrial links. But if your heart it set out to Portsmouth then go for it. When we're young and set our minds into to something there is no turning us back hey, good luck bro.

Thanks bro... Btw which University are you going? And which course?
Reply 7
Original post by theDanIdentity
so how in tarnation would you assume that Manchester, of all places, Wouldn't be accredited..?

See Unistats pls... And unfortunately it's true that Manchester don't have accredited petroleum program

Manchester:
http://careers.energyinst.org/product?product=86515

Aberdeen:
http://careers.energyinst.org/product?product=83833

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8

Thanks a lot for clearing my confusion. There were many sources showing up no accreditation for manchester and aberdeen.
Reply 9
Thanks a lot for clearing my confusion. There were many sources showing up no accreditation for manchester and aberdeen.

Both unis state they are accredited and who by on their own web sites. Not confusing at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
See Unistats pls...

Also, according to unistats Manchester MEng has 84% satisfaction. Yes, the BEng is lower, but I imagine that's because the better students stay on to do the MEng.

Portsmouth is 65%.

Also Manchester has higher ave. salary for its graduates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Just as an aside, I wouldn't be too fussed about accreditation for petroleum engineering, as from what I've seen industry isn't that bothered about it like they are about other disciplines.
[QUOTE=Smack;57509163]Just as an aside, I wouldn't be too fussed about accreditation for petroleum engineering, as from what I've seen industry isn't that bothered about it like they are about other disciplines.

Yeah, In my personal view the main thing matters is University's links with industries and reputation e.g Portsmouth has direct link with Saudi Aramco whereas British Petroleum has direct link with University of Manchester and Shell is supporting Aberdeen etc
Thanks bro... Btw which University are you going? And which course?

I'm going to Leeds hopefully!
[QUOTE=Marquinhos;57509573]I'm going to Leeds hopefully!

Excellent choice.... Good Luck!
In my view University Of Portsmouth's Petroleum Engineering is one of the best choice because the course itself is designed by ( Saudi Aramco ) Oil company which is the world's no.1 E&P Company. How many of you support my opinion?

Hey there , i am going for petroleum engineering in portsmouth ? How is it there in portsmouth ? Are u also coming to portsmouth
[QUOTE=Karan barde;57555993]Hey there , i am going for petroleum engineering in portsmouth ? How is it there in portsmouth ? Are u also coming to portsmouth

Yes I am also coming this year... Inbox me your fb id
Yes I am also coming this year... Inbox me your fb id

Hey sorry i dont come on fb . are u on whats app ? Which country are u from ? If u r on whats app i give u my number
I'm currently at univerosty of Portsmouth going into second year of Pharmacy, anything you want to know about the university and city, feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by Karan barde
Hey sorry i dont come on fb . are u on whats app ? Which country are u from ? If u r on whats app i give u my number

I am from Pakistan, Inbox me your number so I can add you

do add your full name and country in message :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest