The Student Room Group

Economics UCAS advice/personal statement?

Hi, I am planning to apply for university in 2016 for Economics/related courses. I wish to go onto investment banking after University and am hoping to get into one of the target universities (Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick) I just sat AS Levels in Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Physics. Was predicted AAAB and my subject teachers said I will be predicted A*A*A plus an A in AS Further Maths next year, I would try and continue all four but can't fit it all in due to AS Further and bringing a B up may be difficult also.

At GCSE I got 7A* 3A and 2Bs and also took AS Business Studies and got an A. Now the background info is cleared, I would most like to study Economics however due to its competitive nature don't want to risk being rejected from all of the Unis I listed so have been looking at courses which are less competitive such as Statistics with Finance at LSE, Economics and Statistics at UCL and maybe the new Finance degree at LSE. I'm currently thinking of basing my PS on Economics with a financial economics focus and to mention how the use of statistics in conjunction interests me, is this doable to mention three very related but still different subjects and expect offers?

Also has anybody who has previously applied successfully adapted there PS to suit Economics and other courses which aren't pure Economics and still got the offer? Thanks!
Hi

I've moved your thread to the PS advice forum, as I think you'll get more useful responses here.

Realistically, LSE is a top university, and according to their website, they place a lot of emphasis on the PS. Yes, finance or statistics and finance at LSE will be less competitive than economics, but that's not to say they aren't still going to be very competitive courses. UCL is also a top university, and it's very likely that if they don't want you for economics, they will consider you for closely related courses such as economics and statistics.

Economics is a pretty competitive/popular degree choice anyway, and both LSE and Oxford are very high risk choices, who reject candidates with excellent grades all the time, and you're more likely to be rejected if your PS suggests you aren't 100% sure on your course choices.

I think it would be better to give yourself the best chance of getting into economics, and produce a PS completely tailored to that subject, and consider finding a different, slightly less competitive university for your fifth choice.

You might want to consider having a read of this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Hi

I've moved your thread to the PS advice forum, as I think you'll get more useful responses here.

Realistically, LSE is a top university, and according to their website, they place a lot of emphasis on the PS. Yes, finance or statistics and finance at LSE will be less competitive than economics, but that's not to say they aren't still going to be very competitive courses. UCL is also a top university, and it's very likely that if they don't want you for economics, they will consider you for closely related courses such as economics and statistics.

Economics is a pretty competitive/popular degree choice anyway, and both LSE and Oxford are very high risk choices, who reject candidates with excellent grades all the time, and you're more likely to be rejected if your PS suggests you aren't 100% sure on your course choices.

I think it would be better to give yourself the best chance of getting into economics, and produce a PS completely tailored to that subject, and consider finding a different, slightly less competitive university for your fifth choice.

You might want to consider having a read of this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections

Yeah, we're pretty much on the same page, applying to top universities for an oversubscribed subject is very risky, however my reading/work experience etc is all related to one of the three which makes me think whether I should go all out for a less competitive option...

What I don't want to do is sacrifice a place at one of those top universities because I went for one of the most competitive courses as i'd be content studying all of them from looking at the course structures. If I was to get rejections from my top 4 it's very likely I would reapply the following year with A2 results. But it seems like I need to explore the subjects even further to make my PS more specific.

At the moment in my personal statement plan, I have chosen to dedicate 90-95% to the academics and then 5-10% on the 'other' section as I have heard admission tutors have recently preferred this ratio, this also gives me enough room to discuss the subjects. I am beginning to think that a 3 subject split however may be too risky...I've definitely taken the advice on board however so thank you!

Any other opinions would be great

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you can write a PS that includes finance, economics and stats and dedicate a para to each. They are all interrelated. The best way to go about it is to have a look at what modules each course you're wanting to apply to offers and see what's common between them and focus on those topics.
LSE do place a lot of emphasis on the PS being 100% focused on the course that you are applying for there, so be careful
Reply 5
Original post by alleycat393
I think you can write a PS that includes finance, economics and stats and dedicate a para to each. They are all interrelated. The best way to go about it is to have a look at what modules each course you're wanting to apply to offers and see what's common between them and focus on those topics.

Never thought of this but that makes a lot of sense! So the universities will still see that I have interests relevant to the course they offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by *Interrobang*
LSE do place a lot of emphasis on the PS being 100% focused on the course that you are applying for there, so be careful

Yeah this is also a big issue, unfortunately wasn't at the open day as I wanted to ask how they would like the personal statement for the new Finance degree. I assume many applicants will apply for economics at other institutions as these universities will not offer a straight Finance BSc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by *Interrobang*

Yeah this is the problem. I assume many applicants for the Finance BSc will not be applying for finance at other top unis as it isn't offered and probably will lean towards Economics at different universities. I may email admissions on what they are looking for and if there will be any leeway.

I can't see many A*AA + applicants writing a personal statement all on Finance as it may restrict their chances for other universities as they don't offer the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by iBall
Yeah, we're pretty much on the same page, applying to top universities for an oversubscribed subject is very risky, however my reading/work experience etc is all related to one of the three which makes me think whether I should go all out for a less competitive option...

What I don't want to do is sacrifice a place at one of those top universities because I went for one of the most competitive courses as i'd be content studying all of them from looking at the course structures. If I was to get rejections from my top 4 it's very likely I would reapply the following year with A2 results. But it seems like I need to explore the subjects even further to make my PS more specific.

At the moment in my personal statement plan, I have chosen to dedicate 90-95% to the academics and then 5-10% on the 'other' section as I have heard admission tutors have recently preferred this ratio, this also gives me enough room to discuss the subjects. I am beginning to think that a 3 subject split however may be too risky...I've definitely taken the advice on board however so thank you!

Any other opinions would be great

Posted from TSR Mobile

LSE do explicitly say what they want to see in a PS on this page (you have to scroll down a bit) http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2016/economics.aspx

If you'd rather study at a top uni, or not at all, and seriously don't mind getting 5 rejections, then your strategy should be somewhat different to the average applicants. However, reapplying with A2 results wouldn't necessarily guarantee you a place (although it would make you a stronger applicant), so you do need to think about plan B (or plan C).

Would it be worth visiting some slightly less prestigious (but still good) universities, and giving them a chance?
Reply 10
LSE do explicitly say what they want to see in a PS on this page (you have to scroll down a bit) http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2016/economics.aspx

If you'd rather study at a top uni, or not at all, and seriously don't mind getting 5 rejections, then your strategy should be somewhat different to the average applicants. However, reapplying with A2 results wouldn't necessarily guarantee you a place (although it would make you a stronger applicant), so you do need to think about plan B (or plan C).

Would it be worth visiting some slightly less prestigious (but still good) universities, and giving them a chance?

Thanks for the LSE link, the personal statement will take a few drafts and soul searching but I think I have the evidence to show my passion as long as I can make that focus on one subject.

Hopefully it doesn't come to reapplying but I can't see myself gladly attending a university which is not highly reputable,with the current state of the economy and Uni fees potentially rising again I wouldn't want to sacrifice prestige and potentially jeopardise my intended career because I want to start my studies in 2016, I haven't really thought about plan B which is a good point, I think I'll have to hope it works first time around, if I fail to do that then I'll have to get the possible A2 results and apply more cautiously on the gap year I suppose

I have considered applying to some unis with AAB entry requirements but at the same time wonder if it's wise to use an option on a university you wouldn't want to attend

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall
Thanks for the LSE link, the personal statement will take a few drafts and soul searching but I think I have the evidence to show my passion as long as I can make that focus on one subject.

The biggest issue with this will probably be the character limit, I expect. I think it's totally possible to demonstrate you are passionate about more than one thing, but it's less easy to do that in 4000 characters, while still showing off everything that makes you a good candidate. The PS really is quite a short piece of writing when you consider everything you have to fit in. Applying to two different subjects just does put you at a disadvantage sometimes, and that is the way it is.

Hopefully it doesn't come to reapplying but I can't see myself gladly attending a university which is not highly reputable,with the current state of the economy and Uni fees potentially rising again I wouldn't want to sacrifice prestige and potentially jeopardise my intended career because I want to start my studies in 2016, I haven't really thought about plan B which is a good point, I think I'll have to hope it works first time around, if I fail to do that then I'll have to get the possible A2 results and apply more cautiously on the gap year I suppose

I have considered applying to some unis with AAB entry requirements but at the same time wonder if it's wise to use an option on a university you wouldn't want to attend

The thing is, there is a gap between applying to a university with a slightly lesser reputation and one that will genuinely make a difference to your career options- Are you hoping to work abroad and looking for a university which is very highly regarded internationally?

Would you rather not go to university at all, or go to one with a slightly lesser reputation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Comments in bold.
Reply 12
Comments in bold.

Yeah I think I'll draft it over the weekend and then get some feedback as to whether it sounds too wishy washy or not. But from there I should have a clearer picture on what I need to cut and then that will hopefully lead me to my course choice

I want to enter a career in Investment Banking which means a target uni (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick & Imperial is ideal) I'm also thinking about getting a masters abroad (very far ahead) but going to the best possible university for undergrad makes this a whole lot easier than if I went to a university with less reputation however it would still be doable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
No further maths at A2? Good luck getting into one of those unis (ie. your chances are extremely slim)
Original post by iBall
Yeah I think I'll draft it over the weekend and then get some feedback as to whether it sounds too wishy washy or not. But from there I should have a clearer picture on what I need to cut and then that will hopefully lead me to my course choice

I want to enter a career in Investment Banking which means a target uni (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick & Imperial is ideal) I'm also thinking about getting a masters abroad (very far ahead) but going to the best possible university for undergrad makes this a whole lot easier than if I went to a university with less reputation however it would still be doable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if you're aware of the PS builder, but that should help you see how much content you need in each situation.

I accept in a career like investment banking, university prestige does matter, but do research this a bit further. I would expect there to be people who have done very well for themselves without coming from one of those 5 unis. I can totally understand that you want to give yourself the best possible chance of doing well, and I'm not saying don't aim high, but equally you're talking about unis that reject lots of very stellar candidates every year. Just, if you do aim very high, you need to give yourself the best possible chance of succeeding, and IMO, writing a very tailored PS to one subject is part of that.

Original post by Buses
No further maths at A2? Good luck getting into one of those unis (ie. your chances are extremely slim)

To be fair, LSE do say on their website that they make offers to candidates with A at AS Further Maths. LSE are generally pretty open and honest about their entry requirements, and I don't think they'd say this if those with A at further maths really did have only a very small chance of getting a place. Warwick don't even mention further maths at all in their entry requirements. That said, I do agree not having A2 Further Maths does make OP perhaps a bit less competitive than a candidate who offered it- which is another reason he should probably consider a plan B.
Reply 15
Original post by Buses

Fair point, I assume you're talking about pure econ/maths and econ etc? I'll apply to what I am competitive for, will just evaluate my chances. Do you have any stats to show how slim my chances would be at the Unis stated?

Many people however do receive offers without doing Further maths for A2 at the universities stated so it's doesn't seem to be the ultimate decider but it's helpful. A student at my school now studying Economics at Warwick took Maths, Economics and Business Studies A2 with no FM whatsoever and received an offer and I'm sure many others did also. This is the same for UCL but with different A2 options and that can also be seen from browsing TSR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I don't know if you're aware of the PS builder, but that should help you see how much content you need in each situation.

I accept in a career like investment banking, university prestige does matter, but do research this a bit further. I would expect there to be people who have done very well for themselves without coming from one of those 5 unis. I can totally understand that you want to give yourself the best possible chance of doing well, and I'm not saying don't aim high, but equally you're talking about unis that reject lots of very stellar candidates every year. Just, if you do aim very high, you need to give yourself the best possible chance of succeeding, and IMO, writing a very tailored PS to one subject is part of that.

Will have a look at the PS builder.

I understand a target university is not the be all and end all and many people come from lower ranked universities and still are successes - I've seen this firsthand during work experience so I'm not doubting that at all, however the majority of a Front Office IB have come from top institutions.

In regards to aiming high, I understand that a one subject PS is ideal, and of course I would do that however econ is very competitive and that's why I've been looking at other courses which are related and less competitive but still offered at the Top Unis so I will aim to make multiple drafts by course and finalise later to the date

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall
Will have a look at the PS builder.

I understand a target university is not the be all and end all and many people come from lower ranked universities and still are successes - I've seen this firsthand during work experience so I'm not doubting that at all, however the majority of a Front Office IB have come from top institutions.

In regards to aiming high, I understand that a one subject PS is ideal, and of course I would do that however econ is very competitive and that's why I've been looking at other courses which are related and less competitive but still offered at the Top Unis so I will aim to make multiple drafts by course and finalise later to the date

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's your life, and I don't mean that in a snippy way at all. You're the one who has to live with whatever PS you write, and we're just here to advise you. If you believe there's a calculated risk in applying to a less competitive course and having a less tailored PS then go for it. You also have to consider the standard of uni you want to go to and the risks you're willing to take.

Just do bear in mind- Finance at LSE is still a competitive course, it's not, say Czech Studies at Bristol (meaning no disrespect to anyone doing that particular course).

We do see a lot of people on TSR who say they want to apply for a very competitive course at 5 top/top-ish universities, who haven't really thought it through at all. However, I do feel like you've thought this through more than some people, and if this is what you want to do, then go for it.

The thing is, you've still got lots of time to change your mind. Don't forget you can add choices even after the Oxbridge deadline, so you can change your mind right up until January if you're not sure what your fifth choice should be.

Maybe try writing two sample personal statements- one for Econ, and one for Econ and Finance, and seeing what the differences are and what the strengths and weaknesses are for each one.
Reply 18
It's your life, and I don't mean that in a snippy way at all. You're the one who has to live with whatever PS you write, and we're just here to advise you. If you believe there's a calculated risk in applying to a less competitive course and having a less tailored PS then go for it. You also have to consider the standard of uni you want to go to and the risks you're willing to take.

Just do bear in mind- Finance at LSE is still a competitive course, it's not, say Czech Studies at Bristol (meaning no disrespect to anyone doing that particular course).

We do see a lot of people on TSR who say they want to apply for a very competitive course at 5 top/top-ish universities, who haven't really thought it through at all. However, I do feel like you've thought this through more than some people, and if this is what you want to do, then go for it.

The thing is, you've still got lots of time to change your mind. Don't forget you can add choices even after the Oxbridge deadline, so you can change your mind right up until January if you're not sure what your fifth choice should be.

Maybe try writing two sample personal statements- one for Econ, and one for Econ and Finance, and seeing what the differences are and what the strengths and weaknesses are for each one.

Haha, no worries I don't feel 'snipped' at all. In life I want to shoot for the best and if I don't get it, fall back and keep progressing. In any case, when applying, my PS will be dedicated to the course I apply to, I wouldn't want to create unnecessary risk for myself.

Yes, Finance at LSE is very competitive and if that became my first choice I'd try my best to make my PS a finance one, the trouble with that course being it can affect you in a bad way as Finance is not offered by many universities and could prevent a good Econ app.

I know that a very safe 5th choice is smart but that's largely dependent on the individual.

Forgetting my own situation, if a student is predicted to be an A*AA+ student and plans to apply for Economics, a safe choice (AAB) e.g. Lancaster and Loughborough. Therefore if the student is rejected from the 4 A*AA - AAA courses their only offer will be from their weaker fifth choice. If the student achieves/exceeds their predicted grades attending that university is also 'risky' for their future considering debt and career prospects and I'm sure many would reapply then however many would be content.

I'm definitely drafting my PS this coming week at the latest and will try to create a frame which can be modified for the potential courses until I decide on one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Buses

Hmmm still nothing? What do you define as 'extremely slim'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending