The Student Room Group

Classic Car Appreciation Thread

Hiya guys, who else has a classic car, along with the inevitable insurance wrangles by being a young driver too :O
Triumph Dolly 1500 here!
Reply 1
Sadly dont own a classic car but a modern small car but I plan in the future to purchase a VW Mk2 Golf (Love these) and also love the old Austin Mini Coopers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Rathor
Sadly dont own a classic car but a modern small car but I plan in the future to purchase a VW Mk2 Golf (Love these) and also love the old Austin Mini Coopers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Decent mate! Tbh my knowledge doesn't extend much further than Triumphs and MGs, have you got any your having a look at or just thinking atm?
Reply 3
Nah currently I'm not in the position financially to buy a classic car so sticking with my hyuandai getz ( daily runner ) until I can save up some money and gain some NCB from insurer before I go ahead with another car. Really like the two cars I mentioned but will look for one when I'm in the position to buy one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I come from a family of Classic enthusiasts, we've something close to 30 classic cars and motorbikes between us. Here's one you should be able to appreciate as a Triumph lover :smile: The red and white car on the left is my brother's 1961 Triumph Herald 1200 Coupé. A very rare shape for this type of car and appreciating year on year ... :smile:

The red one on the right was my 1969 Triumph Herald 13/60 Convertible, who sadly is no longer with us due to a failed differential when I was between jobs... :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by danty
I come from a family of Classic enthusiasts, we've something close to 30 classic cars and motorbikes between us. Here's one you should be able to appreciate as a Triumph lover :smile: The red and white car on the left is my brother's 1961 Triumph Herald 1200 Coupé. A very rare shape for this type of car and appreciating year on year ... :smile:

The red one on the right was my 1969 Triumph Herald 13/60 Convertible, who sadly is no longer with us due to a failed differential when I was between jobs... :frown:

Holy **** thats a lovely pair of cars. Love the old style black and silver number plates!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I restored a Volvo P1800, it was a full restoration as it was sitting in a junkyard when I rescued it. Took 7 years for the bodyshell to be finished. Was sent to Germany for galvanizing and paintwork.

I did the engine rebuild myself, bought a new rebuilt gearbox and rear-axle.

Only kept it for 2 months after it was a finished product, someone offered what could only be said as silly money for it and I'd have been silly not to take it. He wanted one that was off the same year as he viewed it as the ones made by Jensen was highly collectible and long ago he had one from he same year as well as colour. I told him for that kind of money I would be happy to entertain him.
Reply 7
Original post by Alfissti
I restored a Volvo P1800, it was a full restoration as it was sitting in a junkyard when I rescued it. Took 7 years for the bodyshell to be finished. Was sent to Germany for galvanizing and paintwork.

I did the engine rebuild myself, bought a new rebuilt gearbox and rear-axle

Only kept it for 2 months after it was a finished product, someone offered what could only be said as silly money for it and I'd have been silly not to take it. He wanted one that was off the same year as he viewed it as the ones made by Jensen was highly collectible and long ago he had one from he same year as well as colour. I told him for that kind of money I would be happy to entertain him.

Tremendous effort to restore that! And good shout on selling restoring is a money and time expensive business and getting anything back must be seen as a bonus, there's many more derelict old cars out there after all!
Reply 8
Original post by danty

Those look very good have you had them recently sprayed?
Reply 9
Original post by JBlad
Those look very good have you had them recently sprayed?

The Red/White one was bought in bare-metal condition stripped down ready to be fully restored in 2010. She was originally two-tone grey but we opted for the red/white colour scheme - so she was painted red first, then the white was added on top after (which is how they were actually painted in the factory)

The red convertible had been shoddily hand painted by the previous owner - she always looked brilliant in photographs but up close you could see all the blemishes in the paintwork. I drove her everywhere with the roof down, regardless of weather :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by danty
The Red/White one was bought in bare-metal condition stripped down ready to be fully restored in 2010. She was originally two-tone grey but we opted for the red/white colour scheme - so she was painted red first, then the white was added on top after (which is how they were actually painted in the factory)

The red convertible had been shoddily hand painted by the previous owner - she always looked brilliant in photographs but up close you could see all the blemishes in the paintwork. I drove her everywhere with the roof down, regardless of weather :smile:

Top man! Yes the red and white is a much better look to two tone grey, don't worry mine is hand painted too but even from a distance the blemishes can be noticed! :P
Reply 11
Original post by JBlad
Top man! Yes the red and white is a much better look to two tone grey, don't worry mine is hand painted too but even from a distance the blemishes can be noticed! :P

Drop a picture or two in mate it'll be lovely to see :smile: here is another of the family cars... my mothers 1961 Wolseley 1500, just been put back on the road after over 25 years of being locked away :smile:
Reply 12
I've had about 70 classics in the last 10 years. Mostly MG's Jags and Triumphs.
I could put up a few pictures if anyone's interested...
Reply 13
Original post by JC.
I've had about 70 classics in the last 10 years. Mostly MG's Jags and Triumphs.
I could put up a few pictures if anyone's interested...

Even if no one else is, I certainly am :smile: Over the years I've grown a lot of appreciation for these finer things in life :smile:

~Matt
Reply 14
Original post by danty
Even if no one else is, I certainly am :smile: Over the years I've grown a lot of appreciation for these finer things in life :smile:

~Matt

I don't know much about that, Matt. I just like having and playing with toys!

Here's a selection then...

I dont own a classic car at the moment, but i would love a classic mini.
Im a bit of a mini fan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending