The Student Room Group

Looked after child applying to University

I'm foster care (they call us looked after children great name...) and was wondering what universities have different entry grades or specific help for people who are going to be coming out of care.

I have looked at the University of Nottingham already so I know they have great program for it.

I am looking to study Maths at university. Any university in the U.K would be awesome.

Thanks guys <3
I seem to remember Kent?
Reply 2
Hi
I don't know about the different entry requirement but phone or email the uni and as because the worst thing that can happen is they say no. I did find this pic On student finance England website ImageUploadedByStudent Room1435870577.644608.jpg
Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
:hi:

Manchester offers guaranteed year-round accommodation to students (so you don't need to worry about where you live during the holidays) and additional financial support, amongst other things. There's also a member of staff from the student support team who's responsible for helping care leavers. http://www.manchester.ac.uk/connect/teachers/students/secondary/widening-participation/targeted-groups/

Pretty much all universities will have some form of extra help available for care leavers, and they will very often be more than willing to help you with things like extra advice even before you apply - you just need to get in contact with the uni.

It might be worthwhile getting in touch with Buttle UK, which is a charity that does lots of work with care leavers going to uni.

Have you had any contact from the Leaving Care team at your local authority? They should be able to help you too. You should be aware that your local authority still has statutory responsibilities towards you while you're at uni - make sure you're aware of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest