The Student Room Group

Should women be allowed to go topless in public? ('Western' hypocrisy?)

Poll

Should women be allowed to go topless in public?

Here in the UK and more widely in Western Europe and North America, we often have people complain about the way women in North Africa and the Middle East are told to dress differently to men. Typically the reasons given is for modesty and to not sexualise women. Yet these are the same counter arguments given against me whenever I argue my support to let women go topless in public.

The truth is as a gay guy I have to 'deal' with seeing attractive and unattractive men topless in public all the time, as do straight women. Oh and yes men's chest are as sexually appealing/unappealing as women's breast are. Nevertheless we cope and get on with life just fine. So if gay men and straight women can handle it, is it not time for straight men to handle it in Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Yes :h:
Not for me. But I will never understand why it's ok for men to walk around topless in public and not women.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Yes :h:

perv. anyway no. clothes is what separates civilisation from the barbarian wilds.
Original post by Man.bear.pig
perv. anyway no. clothes is what separates civilisation from the barbarian wilds.

No one is advocating for public nudity :hmpf:
Reply 5
If someone wants to go topless, then I think they should be allowed to. Currently breasts are very sexualised in our culture, which restricts people's freedoms and creates unrealistic expectations of women's bodies. Frankly, the idea that the human body is naturally offensive is ridiculous and we should do away with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
No one is advocating for public nudity :hmpf:

Original post by Reformed2010
Here in the UK and more widely in Western Europe and North America, we often have people complain about the way women in North Africa and the Middle East are told to dress differently to men. Typically the reasons given is for modesty and to not sexualise women. Yet these are the same counter arguments given against me whenever I argue my support to let women go topless in public.
The truth is as a gay guy I have to 'deal' with seeing attractive and unattractive men topless in public all the time, as do straight women. Oh and yes men's chest are as sexually appealing/unappealing as women's breast are. Nevertheless we cope and get on with life just fine. So if gay men and straight women can handle it, is it not time for straight men to handle it in Britain?

really?? :K:
k den.
smiley made me literally lol though. thanks bredda :yy: lol
I see nothing wrong with women going topless if they want.
I won't.
really?? :K:
k den.
smiley made me literally lol though. thanks bredda :yy: lol

topless nude
Of course. Breasts aren't supposed to be sexual. That's just a Western thing. If men can walk around topless, women should be able to as well. A bit of extra flesh isn't harming anyone.

(also I'm super lesbian so you know bonuses all around...)

jokes :P
topless nude

who said nude? no one said the word "nude?" :K:
who said nude? no one said the word "nude?" :K:

nudity = nude

must i explain everything to you?
The reason why I disagree with it is because it's a middle finger to assimilation, not because it's oppressive.
nudity = nude
must i explain everything to you?

who said nudity? who said nude?
neither OP nor I.
You didn't read OP. And just wanted to post yes. Now you're trying to backpedal :holmes:

so yes. you must explain why you're being equivocal and bringing up irrelevant, unsaid points to support that you were wrong in the 1st place.
Then you wanna try and twist it on me like I'm the one confused when I just simply pointed out that you don't know what you're talking about rofl.
Now let me explain to you :wink: :
It says topless. Not fullblown nudity.
Toplessness is uncivil. No one said nudity. And you know it :colonhash:
x

You said "clothes is what separates civilisation from the barbarian wilds"

But topless no clothes (at all)
Original post by OU Student
Not for me. But I will never understand why it's ok for men to walk around topless in public and not women.

because men's chest aren't sexualised.
well actually...they are now that I've brought it up...
"pecks" and when men twitch their chests and all.
hmmm :holmes:
so in that regard, no one should show their chest...
anything else is uncivilised in my eyes.
x :h:

You're being immature. If someone isn't wearing a shirt is that not relevant to clothes. Aren't tribes ridiculed to say the least for going topless?
:colonhash: Now it's okay for us? Hypocritical much?
Still. No one said nudity. X my post out all you want to. We both know you saw title and immediately posted yes.
No one said nude nor nudity so stop deflecting.
Now you're boring me.

Original post by Reformed2010

Because many men will walking around with an erection...:tongue:
JK, I think breasts are just too sexualised, in Quebec, women are allowed to walk around topless.
No. A lot of girls look meh shirtless anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending