The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Chemistry 2015/2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Junioh
yeah our teacher gave us a list from SQA or something(can't remember)
i quite like the idea of analysis of the unknown

Unknown what?
Original post by wordshark
We've done the course in a really weird order. We started by doing most of unit 3 then most of unit 1 and now the investigation. I'm really enjoying the it so far! I'm doing determination of vit c in fruit juices (very original, I know:tongue:!!) and it's gone really well so far. Really just titrations which are easy. Our teacher encouraged us to do a tried and tested investigation as they get the best marks.

The simpler the better~ doesn't need to be anything very sophisticated:smile:
Im thinking of analysis of the unknown
hopefully its an easy compound :wink:
Unknown what?

any chemical, the teacher basically gives you a chemical and you have to determine what that chemical is by different tests(melting point, boiling point, solubility etc.
Original post by Junioh
any chemical, the teacher basically gives you a chemical and you have to determine what that chemical is by different tests(melting point, boiling point, solubility etc.

That sounds pretty interesting, good luck with it :tongue:
Original post by HiddenNinja01
That sounds pretty interesting, good luck with it :tongue:

thanks~ fingers crossed please let it be a straightforward chemical!
We've done the course in a really weird order. We started by doing most of unit 3 then most of unit 1 and now the investigation. I'm really enjoying the it so far! I'm doing determination of vit c in fruit juices (very original, I know:tongue:!!) and it's gone really well so far. Really just titrations which are easy. Our teacher encouraged us to do a tried and tested investigation as they get the best marks.

Oh im doing something very similar for biology except its determining glucose content of juices/fruits which isnt working out very well haha (Probably because of the interference of vit c content inside the fruits/juices)
Original post by Junioh
thanks~ fingers crossed please let it be a straightforward chemical!

Let it be a little complex though to show that your techniques are up to scratch but not complex to the point you cant get correct results :tongue:
Oh im doing something very similar for biology except its determining glucose content of juices/fruits which isnt working out very well haha (Probably because of the interference of vit c content inside the fruits/juices)

Vit C can be a pain for me too! You have to filter the juices but it takes ages and meanwhile the vit c is oxidising screwing your results more and more as you go.
Vit C can be a pain for me too! You have to filter the juices but it takes ages and meanwhile the vit c is oxidising screwing your results more and more as you go.

Yup, i made a huge mistake by picking that experiment :s-smilie: , neither my teacher or anyone else in the science department can help me work out/ predict if my experiment is valid or not in measuring glucose alone :/
Let it be a little complex though to show that your techniques are up to scratch but not complex to the point you cant get correct results :tongue:

hahahahah hopefully~ :biggrin:
Original post by Junioh
hahahahah hopefully~ :biggrin:

Best of luck, hope it all goes well :smile: Make sure your school can provide accurate equipment for carrying out the experiment :tongue:
Best of luck, hope it all goes well :smile: Make sure your school can provide accurate equipment for carrying out the experiment :tongue:

The good part of this experiment is that I don't need to measure out anything~
I won't have a lot of uncertainties!!
btw how did u find the NAB? :smile:
so christmasy already~ :h:
can't believe we start the christmas holiday on the 23rd... so late :frown:
Original post by Junioh
The good part of this experiment is that I don't need to measure out anything~
I won't have a lot of uncertainties!!
btw how did u find the NAB? :smile:

Oh thats great then! And i did all i could haha, there where 2 questions which i had no idea how to answer so i guessed..but i should be fine :smile:
J
Original post by Junioh
so christmasy already~ :h:
can't believe we start the christmas holiday on the 23rd... so late :frown:

It's a travesty. How am I supposed to do my last minute shopping :tongue:
Original post by Junioh
The simpler the better~ doesn't need to be anything very sophisticated:smile:
Im thinking of analysis of the unknown
hopefully its an easy compound :wink:

Im doing that one too! it sounds very interesting and my teacher told me that the last time someone at my school did that one they got 24/25!
I'm comparing the accuracy of two methods of determining Iron concentration. One method will be a standard back titration using something like potassium permanganate as the indicator and the other method will be a chemiluminescence reaction. Then whatever one is the most accurate method I'm going to use to determine the iron conc. in something like a broccoli or another green vegetable.

Thoughts?
Original post by claraghattas
Im doing that one too! it sounds very interesting and my teacher told me that the last time someone at my school did that one they got 24/25!

wow really! good luck then :smile:
Original post by Zain-A
I'm comparing the accuracy of two methods of determining Iron concentration. One method will be a standard back titration using something like potassium permanganate as the indicator and the other method will be a chemiluminescence reaction. Then whatever one is the most accurate method I'm going to use to determine the iron conc. in something like a broccoli or another green vegetable.

Thoughts?

what about colorimetry?
Reply 99
Anyone else doing Vitamin C?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending