The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Chemistry 2015/2016

Hi, saw some threads for other Advanced Highers started but didn't see a thread started for this yet so thought I would make one.

Will be a good thread to use throughout the year to discuss problems, receive help, and procrastinate on in the run up to exam time

Anyway whose doing the new advanced higher and what stuff have you already began to do? Our teacher decided to get some of the practicals out of the way first but we only did standard solution stuff and back titrations. Did you guys know we are now being "nabbed" so to speak on our practicals?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey Zain~
Also doing the new AH here,
So our NABs also involve practicals? Interesting :smile:
So far we've done EM spectrum, electronic configuration and the periodic table, spectroscopy, bonding, shapes etc. We have to learn the rest of Unit 1 before we come back in August~
Currently using the old AH chemistry revision guide book+SCHOLAR(again, old AH)+a bunch of old AH chemistry booklets
Any suggestions on textbooks and resources available for cfe AH chemistry?
Original post by Junioh
Hey Zain~
Also doing the new AH here,
So our NABs also involve practicals? Interesting :smile:
So far we've done EM spectrum, electronic configuration and the periodic table, spectroscopy, bonding, shapes etc. We have to learn the rest of Unit 1 before we come back in August~
Currently using the old AH chemistry revision guide book+SCHOLAR(again, old AH)+a bunch of old AH chemistry booklets
Any suggestions on textbooks and resources available for cfe AH chemistry?

We haven started unit 1 yet at all, and no our nabs don't involve practicals. There is a small unit/part or the course that focuses on experiment technique where you basically do a bunch of experiments and log everything you do in a "day book" and write the reports up yourself. In the past this wasn't assessed as a nab but now it is :/
Original post by Zain-A
We haven started unit 1 yet at all, and no our nabs don't involve practicals. There is a small unit/part or the course that focuses on experiment technique where you basically do a bunch of experiments and log everything you do in a "day book" and write the reports up yourself. In the past this wasn't assessed as a nab but now it is :/

Oh okay~ totally misunderstood :tongue:
Yeah we did something similar last year for old higher, PPAs? should be fine:smile:
Unit 1 is heavily physics-based. Having the knowledge of higher physics is very helpful and if you've done higher physics last year then it should be a breeze~
Our teacher decided to start us on the practical stuff. We've done all the volumetric and gravimetric stuff (which I've quite enjoyed). The calculations involved are so easy and barely a step up from higher. I wonder how the actual theory parts are going to be!
Original post by Junioh
Oh okay~ totally misunderstood :tongue:
Yeah we did something similar last year for old higher, PPAs? should be fine:smile:
Unit 1 is heavily physics-based. Having the knowledge of higher physics is very helpful and if you've done higher physics last year then it should be a breeze~

Taking Higher Physics this year hopefully, so maybe studying it alongside chemistry would help?

Original post by wordshark
Our teacher decided to start us on the practical stuff. We've done all the volumetric and gravimetric stuff (which I've quite enjoyed). The calculations involved are so easy and barely a step up from higher. I wonder how the actual theory parts are going to be!

I suspect very hard, our teacher is trying to get us some extra teaching periods so she can teach the new course more efficiently.
Reply 6
Original post by Zain-A
Taking Higher Physics this year hopefully, so maybe studying it alongside chemistry would help?

I suspect very hard, our teacher is trying to get us some extra teaching periods so she can teach the new course more efficiently.

The first topic (for us at least) is basically Higher physics all about electromagnetic spectrum and photons etc. Ps orbitals are really interesting!
Original post by muchensmile
The first topic (for us at least) is basically Higher physics all about electromagnetic spectrum and photons etc. Ps orbitals are really interesting!

m8 chemistry as a whole is really interesting
Reply 8
Original post by Zain-A
m8 chemistry as a whole is really interesting

Well said.
Original post by muchensmile

Also doing the new AH chemistry, never done physics in my life so I'm constantly lost about unit 1 :frown:
Is it bad I haven't looked at unit 1 yet? I'm just waiting till school starts again lol
Original post by Zain-A
Is it bad I haven't looked at unit 1 yet? I'm just waiting till school starts again lol

Hey! We got about half way through the first unit in June, it's quite interesting but probably a lot easier to understand if you've done higher physics; if not it may be a good idea to brush up on that first before you start AH chem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prepare for one of the most dire courses on your timetable lads, AH chem is drier than a camels urethra
Original post by Pennyarcade
Prepare for one of the most dire courses on your timetable lads, AH chem is drier than a camels urethra

Haha - I agree. Wanted to do AH Bio instead but couldn't sadly. I think that might be related to how your teacher teaches you it though. If you have a teacher who makes it interesting you're more likely to actually enjoy it and find it interesting.

I find some bits really dull because my teacher is dull af.

I have AH biology on my timetable which imo makes AH chemistry look bloody fantastic in comparison.
Original post by eirinbeese
Haha - I agree. Wanted to do AH Bio instead but couldn't sadly. I think that might be related to how your teacher teaches you it though. If you have a teacher who makes it interesting you're more likely to actually enjoy it and find it interesting.

I find some bits really dull because my teacher is dull af.

I find it incredibly boring due to the lack of human biology aspects, if I get to the point where I haven't received an offer from a med school I'm dropping it pronto haha
Original post by Zain-A
I find it incredibly boring due to the lack of human biology aspects, if I get to the point where I haven't received an offer from a med school I'm dropping it pronto haha

It'll be late February, early March at the best, are you not better just seeing it through haha to May?
It'll be late February, early March at the best, are you not better just seeing it through haha to May?

I know a few people that had 4 rejections by december :frown:

Haha it's not that bad, they could have made it much worse anyway

Probably aha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending