The Student Room Group

Whats wrong with supporting more than one football team from the same country ?

For example, if I like both Fulham and Manchester City almost as much as one another ?

Scroll to see replies

You can't as they are at the same level.

Why do you support each?

You are allowed to support one league team (national), one non-league team (regional) and one village team (local).
Original post by scrotgrot
You can't as they are at the same level.

Why do you support each?

You are allowed to support one league team (national), one non-league team (regional) and one village team (local).

Lets say Fulham is your favourite team in London as you live in London and your favourite general team is Man City ?
So one team is your local team but because they're **** the other is your glory team?
It's just how footy works here. Supporting two teams just seems absurd. I mean, you can support two teams if you want, but it'd seem a bit dumb.
Original post by timexdelivers
Lets say Fulham is your favourite team in London as you live in London and your favourite general team is Man City ?

You support Fulham in that case unless you feel you have stronger links with Manchester.
Reply 6

Weigh up how much you prefer City vs how many Fulham games you'll go to/how much better going to live games will be over watching on TV
Nothing.
You support one team.

Would you have 'supported' man city when they were battling back from division 1? (championship)

Posted from TSR Mobile
For example, if I like both Fulham and Manchester City almost as much as one another ?

If Fulham played City, who'd you want to win?

Original post by Wilfred Little
So one team is your local team but because they're **** the other is your glory team?

I'm half expecting the majority of the FF regulars to rinse you about how they have just as good of a connection to a club as a local fan.
Support one with heart and soul !! Actually make the effort to go to the games and be part of the atmosphere that makes it the beautiful game. Dont stay at home and be an arm chair ******. If you have the means to support your team by actually going to the match do it !!
Don't see why it's a big deal to like multiple teams, imo restricting yourself to just one is stupid
Reply 12
Ignore that lol, nothing wrong with watching at home
Reply 13
Everything.

Football is a part of cultural heritage, but not in a way that music or films are. It's about identity. You can't be a part of two social classes, you can't be a part of two subcultures at the same time, and you can't support two football teams. You need to buy into one team's heritage, history, culture and identity and you force yourself to spread yourself too thin by supporting more than one club.
It just seems like everything wrong with the modern game when people are more "armchair" based and that dosent mean that people go can't afford to go should do, but that if they had the choice then these people would. Basically they are prevented from going out of necessity to finance the cost of living whereas the typical fan these days who can afford to go is not as convicted in his support and this combined with the lack of safe standing is therefore driving the atmosphere down.

It's so hard to get a song going in the lower holte unless you are with the brigada boys that most people don't bother starting to sing because it dies down, hell even after scoring. I mean you would expect out set of fans to rejoice in scoring goals after the pathetic first half of the season. #rant
Don't really see how you can support two clubs equally. I can't imagine liking any other club with the passion I have for Villa. I have a second team (Bristol Rovers) but I could never imagine myself saying I 'support' them'.

I just imagine if you're supporting two clubs, the passion you have for either club can't possibly be as strong as how the majority of those fans feel.
Original post by neal95

It's so hard to get a song going in the lower holte unless you are with the brigada boys that most people don't bother starting to sing because it dies down, hell even after scoring. I mean you would expect out set of fans to rejoice in scoring goals after the pathetic first half of the season. #rant

That's because the crowd is in a state of shock when Villa score at the Holte End.
I think it depends on if you mean active support or armchair support. A lot of people will armchair support other teams than the one they actively support. Sometimes this can be having an armchair glory team, but often it's for more "legitimate" reasons. Can be personal links (supporting your local club and your childhood club for example, or following a club that has family connections even if you mainly support another club), or it could be clubs that have positive links to your own club (players or managers having links for example). Could even be negative links to another club (particularly if an underdog blows a big chance for a rival team). Other reasons might just be liking the way a club plays, or does business, or it's ground, or it's fans, or it's manager.
Most of the time teams would be in different league, but it's still possible to have 2 teams in the same league, although it's likely to be a much looser support if they are in the same league as your main club. I support Norwich, but do support Leicester to an extent as I now live near Leicester and a few friends and collegues are Leicester supporters. If nothing else it's useful to know how they are doing to be able to take part in conversations. That said, when they play Norwich next year, they are just another 6 points to be taken and a chance to improve the goal difference. Hoping it doesn't come down to us and them for survial though.
Original post by little_wizard123
That's because the crowd is in a state of shock when Villa score at the Holte End.

Pmsl true. Why are the majority of our goals always at the north and involve benteke, it's peculiar. Cleverly strike against Everton and Bentekes free kick against qpr was top notch though watching that fly in!
Reply 19
Original post by ExMus
It's just how footy works here. Supporting two teams just seems absurd. I mean, you can support two teams if you want, but it'd seem a bit dumb.

You know,whatever supporting 2 teams is, I would have thought that dumb isn't it.

If anything it's 'dumb' to just support one team if you think about it.

I am of course not saying football fans are dumb however.The fact is they cannot help being fanatical.

If someone is quite new to football,and hasn't grown up following a team as a result,then I say by all means follow more than one team.

Just don't keep changing them.....

Edit: Come to think of it probably the wisest thing to do if you are lucky enough to be in this position ....lis to NOT choose to follow big Premiership teams!

In fact Id say choose 2 foreign teams,a non- league team,a Scottish league team and a sleeping giant.

That should give you plenty to reseach and entertainment / enjoyment over the years
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest