The Student Room Group

Need advice on what to do!

I'm so confused about my uni situation and don't know what to do! Really need some advice! I started a degree in education/teaching at a not so good university (around 50-70 in the league tables) and passed first year with a 2.1, started the next year but became ill with glandular fever and had to take a year out. Within this time, I reflected on what I was doing, I achieved 2 A's and 2 B's at a level and always felt I could do better. I decided to start uni again, went to a top 10 uni only to basically fail the year due to illness yet again and so I decided to go back to the original course (education with qts), now I'm nearly 22 in August, I haven't done very well this year and am really down, as I still feel I should be at a better university. I am considering swapping again but I don't know what to do? Is it worth it as I will have to start second year again and then do third year so won't graduate until I'm 24 or should I stick at teaching degree and graduate in a year's time but at a not so good university? I'm so down and feel like always make wrong decision but then I think life's too short and that it doesn't matter which uni you're at, as long as you get a degree, but then I always think I haven't pushed myself hard enough and should be at a better uni! Any advice would be helpful! Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by jdo35

a) are you happy at the one you're at? with respect to facilities, living, course... not just the obvious unhappiness at your situation
b) is your current degree going to lead you into what you want to do (teaching/educational, presumably)?

What do you think a "better uni" will give you? If you actually just want a job at the end of it then the difference between the universities will be less than marginal. Most of it is on you, your skills, and your experience. Your A-levels will be on your applications still: it will be clear that you evidently had other choices or could have gone somewhere considered more prestigious. If you're worried what people think about your university then just stop. People in the real world stop caring quite quickly.

You sound dissatisfied because you feel like you've wasted this time and have little to show for it. I'm not sure delaying things another year by changing around is really going to help much. I think you'd benefit from just getting your degree and getting out to start your life. There's absolutely no reason you can't push yourself to achieve a stellar result from your current position. As someone who could have always done more work, but never did, I can't see you making a drastic change. Keeping up momentum over a year will be easier than going back a step and doing it for two.

(and an entirely personal opinion: if it's an ex-poly or similar I think a lot of those universities are very good for teaching. All this reputation and prestige bobbins comes from a lot of research (which propagates money into more research) but you're not doing a research-focused subject so I don't know if you feel the benefit much. You're more of the expert there on the differences though, that's just a hunch)

Final thought... does funding become an issue?
You won't be able to afford another year, sorry. You get length of course + 1 year from student finance and it looks like you've already used up one.

Will you be able to appeal and retake under mitigating circumstances?

Also have you looked at if you can just use all the credits in your final year for your degree classification? My uni has two methods of working it out. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest