The Student Room Group

The annoyance of parking tickets.

So I got a parking ticket for parking in my uni house street in Plymouth a few weeks ago.

I tried applying for a residential permit online, but the waiting period was 2 weeks with a chance of receiving a ticket if you parked before the 2 weeks.

So I arrived at my uni house pretty late on the night, the sign of the permit times being obscured by parked cars (they put it on a wall next to the road) and the other sign was lost somewhere in a tree that hadnt been cut. id only just brought the car down from the Midlands, and assumed it was like most permit areas (9-5pm). I was too tired to check other signs, so I'm a bit of an idiot.

Anyway, next day I get a ticket. So I return to plymouth council and purchase a parking permit from the shop (now it's open, I was in midlands beforehand) and ask advice as I proved I lived on the street with a tenancy how I could revoke the permit. I put in an appeal and explain I'm a resident who didn't have the time to purchase a permit but have now. And they refused it and put the fine up to £70. I can appeal again but risk further costs.

How the hell do I get out of this one?
I've never known a council to rob you even after you prove you live on the street!!! Anyone got out this situation?
lol @ raising the fines if you dare question them. They probably want to buy themselves some new shoes.
Reply 2
You should've just paid the £35 before they put it up! It doesn't matter if you live on the street or not, just whether or not you have a permit. Pay up and take it as a life lesson to check the signs properly before leaving your car.
Reply 3
You could've appealed it based on the signage not being clear enough, but it's too late for that now you've already put in an appeal for a different reason. You're just going to have to stump the bill this time unfortunately.
PARKING TICKET?! BWAHAHA my dad got one recently. He was not best pleased.
Original post by Dez
You could've appealed it based on the signage not being clear enough, but it's too late for that now you've already put in an appeal for a different reason. You're just going to have to stump the bill this time unfortunately.

I did, but when all the cars moved that were smart enough not to get tickets, the sign weren't obscured when the bugger came round to give me one! At night time you can't see anything as everyone and anyone parks there until 8am. :frown:

Got another one now for being in a car park which had a 20 minute grace period. Yet fined me £60 for trying to get my car moving after it packed in for 17 minutes and broke down. (Issues with a bumper after a collision)
Reply 6
you took a chance and got caught, what there to moan about?

you knew you needed a permit, why didn't you apply for one earlier? the fact you live on the street is neither here nor there, you need a permit, no permit = getting fined

why did you have to park outside on the street? why not elsewhere? why not in a carpark? would have cost a few quid, or even free for an overnight stay
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mcgreevy1993
I did, but when all the cars moved that were smart enough not to get tickets, the sign weren't obscured when the bugger came round to give me one! At night time you can't see anything as everyone and anyone parks there until 8am. :frown:

Got another one now for being in a car park which had a 20 minute grace period. Yet fined me £60 for trying to get my car moving after it packed in for 17 minutes and broke down. (Issues with a bumper after a collision)

they have 10 minutes, you know, to allow for a bit of an extra que in a shop etc.

over stayed your time for whatever reason = parking fine justified.

if you were at your car for that time, why didn't you buy an extra hour for a quid?

you cant really moan when there's no real reason for anybody to receive parking fines, its either through laziness or inaction, and both are easily remedied.

Stupidity = justified fine

it seems some just aren't cut out for this driving lark, barely a new driver and racking up crashes and fines like there's no tomorrow, maybe you're being told something.
(edited 8 years ago)
Pay up. Learn your lesson. Move on. Simple.
Original post by kernow24
they have 10 minutes, you know, to allow for a bit of an extra que in a shop etc.

over stayed your time for whatever reason = parking fine justified.

if you were at your car for that time, why didn't you buy an extra hour for a quid?

you cant really moan when there's no real for anybody to receive parking fines, its either through laziness or inaction.

Stupidity = justified fine

it seems some just aren't cut out for this driving lark, barely a new driver and racking up crashes and fines like there's no tomorrow, maybe you're being told something.

Kernow why don't you go and mind you buisness for a change instead of jumping on posts with your assumptions.

The 20 minute grace period was actually advertised. It was stated, the company is called Parking eye, Google it - gets people all the time. Fistral beach Newquay, I'm assuming kernow is for Cornish. Check out the Newquay voice, the owner clearly states "20 minutes". I drove in and decided I didn't want to park there and left. This is the point a grace period to decide if you meet the contractual agreements of the private property owned car park. If you don't agree, you have 20 minutes to leave. Hence I left. Do your research or atleast ask the question before you jump on your guns again.

Yes I'm clearly crashing into things all the time. I mean my car is basically written off. Oh wait no, someone hit me whilst I was parked up overnight. I haven't hit anyone. They didn't leave a note. I fixed my car. Got over it. And I've also managed to not die on the motorway, or get a speeding ticket, or kill anyone else. Take your opinions elsewhere and stop wearing your arse as a hat.
And here's the owner of the car park staring there's a 20 minutes grace period for you, Kernow - because not every car park has the same parking grace period.

image.jpg
But you parked there for more than 20 mins
Original post by SonicOfPron
But you parked there for more than 20 mins.

No, this one I was actually there for 17 minutes.
(edited 8 years ago)
There is a national appeals scheme I think. Or appeal to your local councillors, worth a try if the council is not a one party state.
Original post by barnetlad
There is a national appeals scheme I think. Or appeal to your local councillors, worth a try if the council is not a one party state.

My residental one is the council, but i think I'm going to man up and pay it.

The other is a private scheme, (20 minute grace period at Fistral Bay) but I've googled them and a lot of Con/scam things are coming up and im scared to approach it?
Ashampoo_Snap_2015.07.03_22h55m53s_003_.png

thank you for your message, it'll be filed in the bin where it belongs.

Online bully? you utter retard.

Don't you like it being pointed out that you're an atrocious driver? you haven't had a licence long, and you've crashed, you act like a mong on motorways, you're an utter menace, and itll be a good day for other motorists in your area when you rack up 6 points and lose your license, make the most of it, it wont last long in plymouth, they are s**t hot on speeders, careless drivers etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mcgreevy1993
And here's the owner of the car park staring there's a 20 minutes grace period for you, Kernow - because not every car park has the same parking grace period.

image.jpg

all car parks have a 10 minute grace period, this is government legislation, that's why I pointed it out.

Im well aware of how fistral car park works, having worked at the surf centre at fistrel for a year until recently, now working in st ives

and that's an old article, and it no longer applies to the car park, after they updated the terms in 2014 and started to offer '1st hour free' parking, with additional time payable at the machine, in addition to the recent government change of a 10 minute grace period, the signage is perfectly clear, makes no mention of any grace period, and is clear about he free time allowed, along with charges and penalties.

so, you got a 'fine' by either
a) staying for more than an hour without buying a ticket
or
b)over stayed your ticket time by over 10 minutes.

All the timing is carried out automatically, without any human input, and runs from when you entered, til when you leave.

As a bit of helpful advice, a court ruled against parking eye last year at this car park, that only time 'parked' should be counted as the time in the car park, although it was only in the magistrates court, so set no precedent against the company, but could be a possible defense if you were to not pay the fine and parking eye attempts to take you to court, and your 'parking' could be proven to be because of a breakdown

Personally I wouldn't pay it, and hope they cant be bothered to take you to court.

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Couple-win-parking-fight/story-20849706-detail/story.html
Hh
(edited 8 years ago)
Despite your harsh message, I will reply to your actual helpful one as finally after numerous post you have actually offered a new driver advice instead of slandering them. Congrats, if you've done this earlier we would of saved us both a lot of time.

Thankyou for the advice, I do not want debt collectors after me so of course I will need to contact them but I will nt pay.

I did not purchase a ticket as my passenger go out to check parking times, we did not want to stay long so we moved off to leave.
Evidently being a terrible driver, I stalled the car on the slope part near the beach front, other drivers were trying to park behind me so I waited for them to leave. I then parked near the shop, got out for 2 seconds to look for a parking sign myself, could not find one, entered the car and left.

I've already contacted the owner regarding this issue so I am hoping it will be resolved as a misunderstanding.

I am paying my residential fine.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest