The Student Room Group

University applications, accommodation etc help

Hi I had a few queries about university. I'll be starting my last year of college in September but I heard the deadline for uni applications is around January so i'd like to have everything sorted in advance.

1) I'm currently on a MMP in my extended diploma but I have another year to improve my grade so is it worth applying to universities with that entry criteria or should I apply for some with higher criteria? The universities i'd ideally like to go to are either DMM or DDM.
2) Is it worth going to open days for my ideal universities or could I find the necessary information online? (Some unis I want to go to are around a 6 hour drive away).
3) Most halls don't have parking, is it worth bringing my car with me to uni?
4) Should I send my university applications off by myself or do you receive help from college with your applications?
5) Can you pick which uni hall you want to stay in or are you allocated a place somewhere based on which campus you're studying at?

Thank you in advance if you can answer any of these questions. :smile:
I'll answer questions that I can and move this over to Applications and UCAS for them to do the rest. :smile:

2) It's worth the drive to go to open days as marketing departments will always make sure the uni looks its best online (some could be using pics up to 5 years old just because they make the uni look good) and have a chat to current students/the course leader.

3) No. You won't use it in the first year if living in halls.

4) Your college will help you out with it and they'll require a reference. Have a chat to your student support services if you need extra help.

5) You get to choose but I'd recommend being on campus.
Original post by ElysseMatthias
Hi I had a few queries about university. I'll be starting my last year of college in September but I heard the deadline for uni applications is around January so i'd like to have everything sorted in advance.
1) I'm currently on a MMP in my extended diploma but I have another year to improve my grade so is it worth applying to universities with that entry criteria or should I apply for some with higher criteria? The universities i'd ideally like to go to are either DMM or DDM.
2) Is it worth going to open days for my ideal universities or could I find the necessary information online? (Some unis I want to go to are around a 6 hour drive away).
3) Most halls don't have parking, is it worth bringing my car with me to uni?
4) Should I send my university applications off by myself or do you receive help from college with your applications?
5) Can you pick which uni hall you want to stay in or are you allocated a place somewhere based on which campus you're studying at?
Thank you in advance if you can answer any of these questions. :smile:

1) Its worth discussing with your teachers what they think you can achieve- they will put predicted grades on your application and if they are happy to predict DMM/DDM its worth applying to a couple of choices asking that but do have a couple less ambitious choices asking for what you are on now.
2) You can find the factual information online like course details and accomodation details but you can't see the local area or experience the atmosphere or see what the campus really looks like without going to an open day so its worth going if you can
3) I would say in first year whilst in halls don't bring it- most unis have more than adequate public transport to town or are walking distance from it and obviously there is the issue of where you would park it. In second year when you are in a house you might have a driveway so it might be easier to bring it up.
4) Normally colleges help- you apply through your college using their buzzword so that someone from there can provide your reference and check your application through before they send it off
5) You can express preferences but you aren't guareenteed your top choices.
Reply 3
Hi All,

I saw this post and thought I might be able to help out. I'm moving out of my current accommodation this August (I'm moving it with my other half) and so it will be free for this coming September (2015). It's a self contained, high specification, en-suite, and fully furnished studio apartment. The rent is £110pw, and that includes all bills. It's just a 10 minute walk from the campuses in Liverpool, and just 10 minutes from town. While it is a studio, there is still plenty of chance to interact with the other people in the building, while still getting to have your privacy. If you like you can call me on 07947 632609 and I could chat to you about the place and set up a viewing with the estate agent (I can be there too if you like). Or you can send me a message through this.

With it being so close to campus, but yet slightly away, it give you a chance to take a break and have your own space

Hopefully this is of some help to someone, if not then sorry about that!!J
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending