The Student Room Group

Mosquito Bites - advice please?

So, I have some mosquito bites from last week. They're so damn itchy! I currently have some Savlon. Is there anything better I can use? And how long do they take to go?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just don't scratch and irritate them. They'll go away soon enough.
Reply 2
Scratch them till you don't feel anything.
Reply 3
Sprays and creams just draw your attention to the bite I find. Best just to stick with general painkillers and try and forget they're there, at least if you can put it out of your mind for a while it won't be quite so bad.
In the past I've bandaged my mosquito bites up as they become very red, large, and swell up my legs, you can't see them and therefore forget about them! It's the only thing I find that works
Reply 5
I personally like Eurax. And I do my utmost not to scratch before the Eurax kicks in.
Reply 6
Quite often there is a very tiny blister at the centre of a mosquito bite. If you are very precise, you can pop it without causaing any lasting damage, and in my experience they have stopped itching immediatley aftwards.
Hydrocortisone cream. Stops the itching and redness quickly.
Reply 8
Original post by carabroadley
In the past I've bandaged my mosquito bites up as they become very red, large, and swell up my legs, you can't see them and therefore forget about them! It's the only thing I find that works

Yeah, I put a plaster on one of them last night partly because I kept catching it.

Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 9
I'm just here to brag and say I have never been bitten by a mosquito. I am immune
Reply 10
Original post by Zander01
I'm just here to brag and say I have never been bitten by a mosquito. I am immune

Or maybe they have set standards on what they bite?

:aetsch:
Original post by A5ko
Or maybe they have set standards on what they bite?
:aetsch:

Yes, they prey on the weak :dumbells:
Reply 12
Original post by Zander01
Yes, they prey on the weak :dumbells:

..and those without big nets around their beds.

OP, did you not have a net?
Reply 13
Original post by A5ko
..and those without big nets around their beds.

OP, did you not have a net?

No I didn't. I was in France last week and it really wasn't something I thought about taking.
Reply 14
Original post by OU Student
No I didn't. I was in France last week and it really wasn't something I thought about taking.

A French Mosquito?

I wouldn't worry too much. The worst case scenario is you become obnoxious for a few days.
Original post by UnicornSparkle13
Hydrocortisone cream. Stops the itching and redness quickly.

this :smile: although I usually have to take antibiotics when I get bitten. Got blood poisoning from one once, and now every time I get bitten I have a bad reaction to it:cry:
Use Jungle Cream from Boots. It might stink a little but it does prevent more bug bites. Also Alo Vera that's been in the fridge will cool the skin down and moisturise the area.
If not, just forget it's there and it shouldn't feel itchy.
Reply 17
Original post by amylouisenic
this :smile: although I usually have to take antibiotics when I get bitten. Got blood poisoning from one once, and now every time I get bitten I have a bad reaction to it:cry:

^ Good advice.

She's even put the pic up of when she was stung on her lip as her avatar.
Original post by A5ko
^ Good advice.

She's even put the pic up of when she was stung on her lip as her avatar.

Yep, thought it would help support my post.
(edited 8 years ago)
There's also key-ring type things which emit a high frequency noise which apparently keeps them away too

Quick Reply

Latest