The Student Room Group

Problem Launching The Sims 3 (Mac origin download)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1435910437.750777.jpg

I got a new MacBook Air about 3 weeks ago and yesterday I downloaded The Sims 3 (as a discount package including 'high end loft stuff' and 'late night). I installed this through origin as it's the way to download it without a disk, which is legit, I didn't do it illegally or anything.
It says that it's installation is all complete so in launchpad I click 'The sims 3' and the launcher appears, no problems here. I press the triangle play button on the left and no error appears or anything which is good, but a large blue screen appears with the green plumblob (I think I included a photo). I assumed this was a loading screen but it doesn't change at all, I have waited over half an hour at least.
My internet connection is good. I haven't got any other tabs open. I have tried restarting my MacBook multiple times.
I contacted the Origin EA Games helpline and they suggested that I downloaded the latest 'patch', then restart my Mac, then try playing again. I have followed these instructions and there is no difference.
Please help I beg you, I paid £30 and have done nothing wrong, I just wanna be a kid again and waste my summer playing 😅😂😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alice_Hannah

I got a new MacBook Air about 3 weeks ago and yesterday I downloaded The Sims 3 (as a discount package including 'high end loft stuff' and 'late night). I installed this through origin as it's the way to download it without a disk, which is legit, I didn't do it illegally or anything.
It says that it's installation is all complete so in launchpad I click 'The sims 3' and the launcher appears, no problems here. I press the triangle play button on the left and no error appears or anything which is good, but a large blue screen appears with the green plumblob (I think I included a photo). I assumed this was a loading screen but it doesn't change at all, I have waited over half an hour at least.
My internet connection is good. I haven't got any other tabs open. I have tried restarting my MacBook multiple times.
I contacted the Origin EA Games helpline and they suggested that I downloaded the latest 'patch', then restart my Mac, then try playing again. I have followed these instructions and there is no difference.
Please help I beg you, I paid £30 and have done nothing wrong, I just wanna be a kid again and waste my summer playing 😅😂😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you tried contacting EA again?
Reply 2
Original post by Alice_Hannah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not being funny... are you sure that the MBA meets the minimum system requirements?

My macbook air runs on a 1.4GHZ CPU, the new ones to my knowledge run on a 1.6GHZ CPU.... I may be wrong but I doubt this is enough to run the new generation of SIMS games...

If it still won't work after a reboot, you could try re-installing it.

Let me know how it goes.
Original post by WSH1995
Not being funny... are you sure that the MBA meets the minimum system requirements?

My macbook air runs on a 1.4GHZ CPU, the new ones to my knowledge run on a 1.6GHZ CPU.... I may be wrong but I doubt this is enough to run the new generation of SIMS games...

If it still won't work after a reboot, you could try re-installing it.

Let me know how it goes.

The Sims 3 is over six years old, and it ran absolutely fine maxed out on my old Core 2 Duo equipped Mac from the same year- it's not particularly resource intensive. A vastly newer Core series processor shouldn't have any issues running it, even the U variants running at lower clock speeds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending