The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2016/17 Postgraduate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by such_a_lady
I'm already here! When are you coming?

Do you know if there's a facebook group or somesuch for this year's incoming postgrads? :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by rosewood1993
Do you know if there's a facebook group or somesuch for this year's incoming postgrads? :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/678398058967530/
Reply 2022
Has anyone completed the registration? Should the student record section disappear when the registration is completed or is it a bug? Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vilar
Has anyone completed the registration? Should the student record section disappear when the registration is completed or is it a bug? Thank you!

Just finished mine and it disappeared
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 15.18.14.png
Original post by such_a_lady
Just wanted to pass on some advice an outgoing masters student wanted to give to new grads who didn't do undergrad at Oxford! She said: don't be afraid to speak up in seminars and classes! Don't be afraid to be wrong! She said that in the tutorial system here you often get used to being wrong in front of people very quickly, but many graduate students in her classes who hadn't been through the tutorial system were often very quiet and wouldn't speak or contribute for fear of making a fool of themselves. I know the imposter syndrome is real, but don't be afraid of putting your ideas out there and making yourself heard! Something I'll remember as well even though I've been here for four years :smile:

This is actually really helpful, thank you! I just got the reading list for my course so I'm in mild panic mode right now...
@such_a_lady What wonderful advice! I'm not sure how I missed it before. I'll do well to remember it too. Imposter syndrome is going into full force now that we are approaching the start of term.
Did anybody achieved a 65 or under and still get onto a course? :-)
Right: does anybody know exactly how often we are required to wear gowns WITH hoods?

I've read over pages on academic dress on both my college's website and Oxford's own website but I can't find a clear answer. I'm planning on buying a gown, but since the hood costs £60 (like, why is it so much???) was hoping I could get away with simply hiring that for the events it is required for. If it's needed quite frequently throughout the year then I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the hood outright.
At Cambridge, it's for graduation only. Not even matriculation. The vendors who sell/rent them should have a pretty fair list of requirements on hand, which you can ask about.
Hi everyone,

I've got a room in a Linacre accommodation called The Beeches, is there anyone else here also going to be living there? Kind of nervous about not knowing anyone! :smile:
Original post by liiilliliillllli
Could you please message me (here or direct) when you find out? International calls from here are quite expensive.

I'm doing Computer Science. Yourself?

Hey, congrats on the offer to study CS! I'm now in the position you were in a year ago and finalising my application. References are all set, personal statement and CV are close to being ready to send off, but still procrastinating on pressing that final "apply" button! Any tips you can share? Mind sharing what your background is (UG degree etc)? Thanks a lot, and good luck with the degree!
(edited 7 years ago)
Dear fellow post grads,
I am thinking of applying to Oxford to do my Ma. I have taken two years out, although I did achieve a 2.1 in my degree. However, I have autism and look I don't want to sound racist, but that whole thing about not looking people in the eye so therefore you're racist really ticked me off because I have great difficulty with social skills, anyway I just wanted to know if that's still a thing at Oxford. Thank you very much.
No idea-- but have you thought of having a T-shirt made up explaining your difficulty? :smile: It might solve a few of your problems with unwelcome questions during the first week.
[My son's on the autism spectrum, although in ways different from you. Creativity becomes useful at times in that situation, as does black humo(u)r.]
Original post by punkbreath
Dear fellow post grads,
I am thinking of applying to Oxford to do my Ma. I have taken two years out, although I did achieve a 2.1 in my degree. However, I have autism and look I don't want to sound racist, but that whole thing about not looking people in the eye so therefore you're racist really ticked me off because I have great difficulty with social skills, anyway I just wanted to know if that's still a thing at Oxford. Thank you very much.

It shouldn't be a problem at all :smile: I believe the article you're referring to was corrected by the authors once people pointed out that autistic people struggle to make eye contact - I know a few students on the autism spectrum here and they have never been accused of or perceived as being racist!
Original post by under_the_sea
It shouldn't be a problem at all :smile: I believe the article you're referring to was corrected by the authors once people pointed out that autistic people struggle to make eye contact - I know a few students on the autism spectrum here and they have never been accused of or perceived as being racist!

If it was just one article, then my source has told me wrong. He made it out to be a big group calling everyone who didn't look people in the eye racist. I see that I was wrong now. Thank you for clearing that up.
Reply 2036
Hi

Wondering if anyone could advise me - for my postgraduate applications, I have to supply an extract of a longer piece of undergrad. work, does anyone know how long the note giving context to it should be? Or if there is any specific way this should be written? Or just any tips on extracting longer essays, Im finding it difficult as feel like I have now disrupted its flow.

Thanks so much any help would be greatly appreciated!
I took two chunks from a master's thesis that had some internal coherence, and that the examiners had noticed were especially good. I then used maybe 3 or 4 lines before each to explain just what the hell was going on. This was for history-- other disciplines may be harder to package cleanly.
Hi! First time posting here! I am applying to the MLF in Oxford and I am struggling a bit with the Statement of Purpose. Being it only 300 words is quite limiting, does someone have advice or would like to review it?
I graduated 3rd of my class from Law School and I have an LL.M. with distinction... what are my odds?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending