University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2016/17 Postgraduate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Charu26
Hello All!,

Just joined The Student Room :smile:

Im planning on applying for the MSc in Global Governance and Diplomacy.... Anyone else looking at the same programme?

Hey Charu,

This is one of the programs I am considering as well. However, I am a bit worried about my chances for admission. Do you mind sharing your background? =)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
I'll be applying to the MSt British and European History, from 1500 to the Present. No idea about college choice yet.
Reply 22
Original post by Harutyun
Hey Charu,

This is one of the programs I am considering as well. However, I am a bit worried about my chances for admission. Do you mind sharing your background? =)

Hi!,yeah Im also worried about my chances, cos I still don't have any relevant work experience...

Im current finishing my honours year (4th year) in Politics and International Studies at an Australian University, so i guess a lot will depend on the class I end up with..

But Im pretty sure I'll be able to secure some solid references...

What about you?
Reply 23
You should not worry about that. I have heard that work experience is definitely a plus but not something that will make them refuse giving you admission to the program, if the other components are good. It is much more important for the US universities than the European ones. Hope this is true because I also have no work experience. Only several internship at highly respected institutions domesticly but nothing "long term" that I can brag about. In my opinion, if you graduate with a first, you will stand a pretty good chance for admission. :wink:

This year is my last at a top Dutch uni in International Studies. My grades were disastrous (high 2:2) the first year due to the change in environment (I am not from the Netherlands) but I managed to improve and scored a high 2:1 in the 2nd year. Aiming to get a first in the third year. I do realize my chances are extremely slim but Global Governance and Diplomacy is one of the courses at Oxford I really like!
Reply 24
Original post by Harutyun
You should not worry about that. I have heard that work experience is definitely a plus but not something that will make them refuse giving you admission to the program, if the other components are good. It is much more important for the US universities than the European ones. Hope this is true because I also have no work experience. Only several internship at highly respected institutions domesticly but nothing "long term" that I can brag about. In my opinion, if you graduate with a first, you will stand a pretty good chance for admission. :wink:

This year is my last at a top Dutch uni in International Studies. My grades were disastrous (high 2:2) the first year due to the change in environment (I am not from the Netherlands) but I managed to improve and scored a high 2:1 in the 2nd year. Aiming to get a first in the third year. I do realize my chances are extremely slim but Global Governance and Diplomacy is one of the courses at Oxford I really like!

Your situation is very similar to mine, cos im not from Australia either, so struggled early on, but caught up eventually, pretty much in the final stretch now.. Yeah, thats what I heard about work experience too... We'll see once admission opens for the GGD... I'll let you know if I decide to go ahead :smile:, cos like you said, somehow a first is needed to have a decent chance at it!
Aha I promised myself I wouldn't be posting on TSR about my application this time round, but guess I'm breaking my promise...I'm probably going to apply for a DPhil in Archaeology. The college question is a little bit different for me as I've already been at Keble (for undergrad) and St Cross (for MSt), so don't know whether to go back to one of them or try somewhere different, knowing that even if I do get pooled to a grad college, I had loads of fun at St Cross last year so wouldn't mind that at all :smile: I imagine it will come down to which college has funding for my subject area...
I'm going down to do a BSc in aviation to get my ATPL and become an airline pilot. After I get some work, I hope to return and study physics to Ph.D. level.
Planning to apply for the DPhil in English, hopefully at New College.
Reply 28
I'm thinking of applying for US History Mst, anyone else considering this?

No idea about colleges at the moment. Other history hopefuls, what kind of grades are you currently on at undergrad?
I'm applying for the 650-1550 Literature Mst! So excited that applications have finally opened.

Not sure about colleges yet but I quite like the idea of postgrad only ones.

My dissertation ideas aren't entirely formed yet but I've got a fairly good idea of the kind of thing I want to study. I graduated this summer and I'm currently on a year out working at a University library, so I'm using the time to read a lot and tighten up proposal ideas, as well as improving my medieval language skills.

Hi to any other medievalists out there!
Reply 30
Original post by egypt94
I'm thinking of applying for US History Mst, anyone else considering this?

No idea about colleges at the moment. Other history hopefuls, what kind of grades are you currently on at undergrad?

If you have a 2:1, you should be accepted (as long as you don't mess your application). The acceptance rate is about 50%.

In History, the only challenging degree is the Mst in History of Art (less than 30%).

Page 5 here:
https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/access/content/group/e862de08-70ab-4873-8dec-f493382c969a/noticeboard/gjcc_latest_minutes.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
If you have a 2:1, you should be accepted (as long as you don't mess your application). The acceptance rate is about 50%.

In History, the only challenging degree is the Mst in History of Art (less than 30%).

Page 5 here:
https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/access/content/group/e862de08-70ab-4873-8dec-f493382c969a/noticeboard/gjcc_latest_minutes.pdf

Thanks so much for supplying that link! That's so helpful! But could you please tell me where you got the 50% statistic from? From the link you supplied it seemed to me like a lot of the history courses have a 20-30% acceptance rate...?
Reply 32
Original post by historynerd24
Thanks so much for supplying that link! That's so helpful! But could you please tell me where you got the 50% statistic from? From the link you supplied it seemed to me like a lot of the history courses have a 20-30% acceptance rate...?

"Target numbers" doesn't equal number of offers sent. These figures are their targeted enrolments for each degree. They send more offers than that.

In 2014-2015:
There were 268 applications for a PhD in History (+Art and Medicine) and 167 offers. Admission rate: 62%.

There were 667 applications for a Master in History (+Art and Medicine) and 338 offers. Admission rate: 51%.

The real challenge is to get funding:
30 PhD offers were funded; funding/offers=18%

24 masters were funded; funding/offers=7%
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
"Target numbers" doesn't equal number of offers sent. These figures are their targeted enrolments for each degree. They send more offers than that.

In 2014-2015:
There were 268 applications for a PhD in History (+Art and Medicine) and 167 offers. Admission rate: 62%.

There were 667 applications for a Master in History (+Art and Medicine) and 338 offers. Admission rate: 51%.

The real challenge is to get funding:
30 PhD offers were funded; funding/offers=18%

24 masters were funded; funding/offers=7%

Thanks so much!!!
Reply 34
Original post by Josb

Page 5 here:

Thanks, this is really helpful. Do you have a lot of experience with history postgrad applications? If so how important is it to have a fully formed idea of the research proposal? At the moment I have (I think) a pretty good basic idea but certainly nothing detailed
Reply 35
Original post by egypt94
Thanks, this is really helpful. Do you have a lot of experience with history postgrad applications? If so how important is it to have a fully formed idea of the research proposal? At the moment I have (I think) a pretty good basic idea but certainly nothing detailed

I've only applied to PhDs, but masters' proposals should be less elaborated. I think it's very important to know the bibliography and the archives you will use (locations and types). You should ask your profs (those who will write your reference) to help you.
Reply 36
Original post by nmorgan
I'll be applying to the MSt British and European History, from 1500 to the Present. No idea about college choice yet.

Hi! Would you mind sharing your background with us? University, grades, other potential unis for masters etc.
Reply 37
When are people thinking of applying? And how much preparation do you think we need before doing so?
Original post by egypt94
When are people thinking of applying? And how much preparation do you think we need before doing so?

I'm hoping to apply by about the end of November / beginning of December.

In terms of preparation, I'm just reading around my area of interest so that I have a slightly stronger dissertation proposal. I work full time though and I've graduated so I already have the written work I'm going to submit sorted.

How about you?
Reply 39
Original post by LytillSquerell
I'm hoping to apply by about the end of November / beginning of December.

In terms of preparation, I'm just reading around my area of interest so that I have a slightly stronger dissertation proposal. I work full time though and I've graduated so I already have the written work I'm going to submit sorted.

How about you?

Thanks for the reply :smile:

I had been thinking of applying as early as possible (i.e. September) but perhaps I should be focusing on researching my proposal and preparing my application more thoroughly.
For the CV section of the application, do you know what we're expected to include? I haven't come across much info on this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending