The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2016/17 Postgraduate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by squashi
Anybody who applied for the January 22 deadline (DPhil) still waiting for interview invitations? I haven't heard anything and the wait is killing me... :frown:

I applied for the January 22 deadline (MPhil) and I have also not heard anything from the department. The waiting part is tough indeed.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
I got an e-mail from them the other day, got all excited, and then realised it only said that my application is now being considered :biggrin:
Reply 562
Anyone applied for MSc in Social Science of the Internet?
I am still waiting for the outcome, but I was told that interviews are provisionally scheduled to take place the week beginning 29th February.
Reply 563
Does anyone know if the offers which Oxford give out state specific grade requirements (ie 67%) or simply a 2.1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone who applied by the jan deadline for masters heard back? :3 is it too soon to start expecting?
Original post by egypt94
Does anyone know if the offers which Oxford give out state specific grade requirements (ie 67%) or simply a 2.1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford's requirements are less specific on their website as opposed to Cambridge, stating that they require a "first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours," while Cambridge specifies either one or the other. I am however sure that Oxford later on specifies the requirements in the actual offer.
Original post by Alexander I
Oxford's requirements are less specific on their website as opposed to Cambridge, stating that they require a "first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours," while Cambridge specifies either one or the other. I am however sure that Oxford later on specifies the requirements in the actual offer.

Thank you for this. What i don't understand, however, is on what conditions the offer will be made, as contrasting LSE, oxford has no idea about our last year modules. Maybe they will say just a first or a 2:1?
Original post by BruceWaynee
Thank you for this. What i don't understand, however, is on what conditions the offer will be made, as contrasting LSE, oxford has no idea about our last year modules. Maybe they will say just a first or a 2:1?

I have actually thought about this too. I believe that Oxford uses this "flexible" approach to add more flexibility to their admissions process. Although they accept 2.is (67% at least) they do not limit themselves to that. As to how they determine the conditions on your offer without knowing your last year results, it is difficult to say. They probably examine your first and second year results and based on that, estimate the direction to which you are going. If you are a well-rounded applicant and satisfy the admissions and the department alike, they will probably ask you for a 2.i (in the case where the course is flexible between a 2.i and a First). But in the case where you have not entirely satisfied the parties involved and they see the potential of academic growth, they will probably challenge you and ask for a First. This is what I believe, not what I know for certain.

On the other hand, Cambridge is more specific with the degree classifications, asking for either a high 2.i or a First (separately for respective course). In the case where they ask for a 2.i and an offer is made, they specifically ask for 67% overall in your undergraduate degree. I believe that Oxford follows the same rule; thus, it is less likely that they ask for a plain 2.i in any case, as this can be everything from a low 60-69%. Rather, they specifically state the percentage, especially in cases where a 2.i is asked for.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by stuvetus
Hi, I am applying for a MSt in Classical archaeology. As part of my application, I was going to take out two 2500 extracts from my undergraduate dissertation. One problem is that the research was carried out using coins as the primary source. I have several illustrations which, while integrated into the body of the text, form the part of a separate list of illustrations. I would like advice on what to do. Would it be a good idea to upload a separate list of illustrations, in addition to the two extracts? Finally, I was wondering whether it is advisable to send the bibliography, or if the extracts with footnote citations adequate?

Best regards,
stuvetus

Hi! I applied for the MSt in Classical Archaeology too! My main area of interest is numismatics so this is really awesome! I would honestly advise emailing the graduate administrator, just so you're 100% sure what they would like to see. In my sample papers, my illustrations follow the essay (so they are not incorporated within the paper itself, but are present after the essay and before my bibliography). Good luck!
Original post by prospectivegrad
Has anyone who applied by the jan deadline for masters heard back? :3 is it too soon to start expecting?

From what I've seen it looks like most departments take the full 10 weeks before they send out decisions! I personally am not expecting to hear anything until late March.
Reply 570
Original post by Pe94
Anyone applied for MSc in Social Science of the Internet?
I am still waiting for the outcome, but I was told that interviews are provisionally scheduled to take place the week beginning 29th February.

I've applied for that course as well, but haven't heard anything. Given that the provisional interview dates are in 2 weeks time I assume we should be hearing back soon. Good luck!
Original post by younglaracroft
Hi! I applied for the MSt in Classical Archaeology too! My main area of interest is numismatics so this is really awesome! I would honestly advise emailing the graduate administrator, just so you're 100% sure what they would like to see. In my sample papers, my illustrations follow the essay (so they are not incorporated within the paper itself, but are present after the essay and before my bibliography). Good luck!

Hi, I am also glad to see a fellow numismatist on here!

Maybe I did not express myself quite correctly, but the illustrations in my sample papers are attached to a separate 'list of illustrations', which follow the bibliography at the end. When I wrote 'integrated,' I meant that the illustrations are numbered for citation within the text, and that they are essential to the topic. In retrospect, I suppose it was a silly question, because the paper obviously cannot do without the illustrations. However, at that time, I was not quite so sure. In any case, I have resolved my doubts, and submitted my application.

Also, I have been reading your posts, and have found them to be very helpful. In fact, I was going to ask the department if it might be possible to send one sample with 3000 + words, but you have already clarified that its perfectly acceptable. So, thanks a lot. And good luck to you too!
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone applied for MSc in Environmental Change and Management or MSc in Nature, Society and Environmental Governance?
I received an offer for Msc Global Governance and Diplomacy last month with a first class undergraduate degree as a conditional requirement. I am currently averaging 73% but I am curious as to whether anyone has any first hand or anecdotal experience of Oxford reviewing and amending their conditions if I were to miss out by one or two marks?
Thanks in advance.
Has anyone here applied for the MPhil in Russian and East European Studies? :smile:
I have applied for an MSc before the January deadline (8th) and I have noticed people have had interviews, yet I have not heard anything at all... From what it seems is that internationals are being interviewed first but I may be wrong though.

Is this a good position to be into as I have had no contact from the department, if i have been rejected or not. I would of thought they would of rejected me before they sent out interview invitations.

Any suggestions?
Original post by BioGeek
I have applied for an MSc before the January deadline (8th) and I have noticed people have had interviews, yet I have not heard anything at all... From what it seems is that internationals are being interviewed first but I may be wrong though.

Is this a good position to be into as I have had no contact from the department, if i have been rejected or not. I would of thought they would of rejected me before they sent out interview invitations.

Any suggestions?

What course did you apply for besides an MSc?

I submitted my application (MPhil) on the 20th and I have not either heard anything regarding it. I believe that most applicants receive the outcome of their applications in March, whether it be an invitation to an interview or an actual offer.

Also, remember that interviews are not normally held as part of the admissions process (at least for the courses I have looked at); thus, you can be exempted from one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rotkäppchen
I got an e-mail from them the other day, got all excited, and then realised it only said that my application is now being considered :biggrin:

I know that feeling mate. You receive it following the submission of your application, thinking that it is a notice on your application status, when in fact it is a mere formality, confirming that your application is intact.
(edited 8 years ago)
How long after the questions did you guys hear back for MSc Computer Science?
Original post by Alexander I
What course did you apply for besides an MSc?

I submitted my application (MPhil) on the 20th and I have not either heard anything regarding it. I believe that most applicants receive the outcome of their applications in March, whether it be an invitation to an interview or an actual offer.

Also, remember that interviews are not normally held as part of the admissions process (at least for the courses I have looked at); thus, you can be exempted from one.

Immunology. I got an email today that I have been put on the wait list!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending