The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2016/17 Postgraduate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I am applying for the MSc in Comparative Social Policy, and I'm pretty nervous. This is where I'm at so far/background:

Completed my Undergrad at a U.S. University, top 5 all Women's college
BA in Public Policy and Philosophy
Gpa: 3.75
Work experience: Director of a non profit summer program in Latin America, two state internships

One publication at my UG college's Policy Forum
Presented at one UG conference in DC

In terms of the application I'm struggling a little with how to write the SOP. Also I'm using already written samples but cutting them down and polishing them up.

Is anyone else applying to this program? Are you feeling confident about your application? I'm anxious, it's my first choice masters program but I don't want to be so unrealistic about my chances. Also, how are people choosing their college preference?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Ppolpg
I am applying for the MSc in Comparative Social Policy, and I'm pretty nervous. This is where I'm at so far/background:

Work experience: Director of a non profit summer program in Latin America, two state internships

In terms of the application I'm struggling a little with how to write the SOP. Also I'm using already written samples but cutting them down and polishing them up.

Is anyone else applying to this program? Are you feeling confident about your application? I'm anxious, it's my first choice masters program but I don't want to be so unrealistic about my chances. Also, how are people choosing their college preference?

There's no harm in applying except if you can't afford the application fee (I think it's like 40euros?). And with a good GPA, good school, relevant work experience and publications you seem like you tick all the boxes :smile: What I did to assess my chances (as I'm also in the process of applying) was contacting people who got into the course I want to do and ask them about their background. I admit you have to do a bit of online creeping e.g. is there a facebook group for the course, has someone who's enrolled posted on TSR, etc. :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by DreamByDay
There's no harm in applying except if you can't afford the application fee (I think it's like 40euros?). And with a good GPA, good school, relevant work experience and publications you seem like you tick all the boxes :smile: What I did to assess my chances (as I'm also in the process of applying) was contacting people who got into the course I want to do and ask them about their background. I admit you have to do a bit of online creeping e.g. is there a facebook group for the course, has someone who's enrolled posted on TSR, etc. :smile:

I think you are completely right. Every department is so different and looking for unique qualifications. What program are you applying to?
Reply 83
Have to wait until at least January for a response! :frown:
Original post by Ppolpg
I think you are completely right. Every department is so different and looking for unique qualifications. What program are you applying to?

I'm applying to the MPhil in Politics - European Politics and Society option.

Aaaargh saying it out loud is enough to make me nervous haha!

How about yourself?
Original post by Ppolpg

I studied abroad at a top all women's college in Massachusetts last year. Where did you study? Good luck with your application!
Reply 86
Original post by historynerd24
I studied abroad at a top all women's college in Massachusetts last year. Where did you study? Good luck with your application!

I studied at Mills College in California. Did you attend Smith? Thanks!
Reply 87
I'm applying to the MPhil in Politics - European Politics and Society option.

Aaaargh saying it out loud is enough to make me nervous haha!

How about yourself?

I know this whole process is really nerve racking, especially when you really want to get into the program.

MSc comparative social policy.
Reply 88
Also, is anyone who is applying for MScs reaching out to faculty? The program I'm applying to said its not necessary, but I'm not sure if I should do it anyway.
Anyone MFoCS ?
Original post by Ppolpg
I studied at Mills College in California. Did you attend Smith? Thanks!

No MHC but I took a class at Smith.
Reply 91
I just submitted my application but when I was looking through it all my documents had disappeared and now I can't even log in because it says my password is invalid even though it isn't! :'( So frustrating!!!
Original post by omgwhat
I just submitted my application but when I was looking through it all my documents had disappeared and now I can't even log in because it says my password is invalid even though it isn't! :'( So frustrating!!!

:O sounds so frustrating! But at least you've got loads of time to sort it out if you're applying for the January deadline (how did you manage to put together your application already??)
Reply 93
:O sounds so frustrating! But at least you've got loads of time to sort it out if you're applying for the January deadline (how did you manage to put together your application already??)

I contacted Student Services and they have now sorted it out for me! :biggrin:

It took a lot of time and effort but I was determined to get it out of the way. I also contacted a potential supervisor who liked my ideas which motivated me to really see it through. Get going, it's a blast to finally finish it off.
Original post by omgwhat
I contacted Student Services and they have now sorted it out for me! :biggrin:

It took a lot of time and effort but I was determined to get it out of the way. I also contacted a potential supervisor who liked my ideas which motivated me to really see it through. Get going, it's a blast to finally finish it off.

Sounds motivating indeed :smile: I've talked to my three referees and they all agreed, and I'm finishing off my writing samples and personal statement currently before my lecturer takes a look at them. The thing I'm most worried about is that there doesn't seem to be much interest in the Department I'm applying to for the specific subject I want to write my thesis on....hope it doesn't harm my chances :frown:
Reply 95
Hi everyone!

Thinking about applying to Oxford Dphil in Philosophy (alongside KCL PhD and Birmingham PhD).
I am currently studying two years Research Masters program in philosophy in Netherlands.
I hope to achieve 8,2/10 (or even higher) - which is first class in UK system. (Given the fact that 9 and 10 are rarely given - "10" is considered to be mythical as I was told)
I did undergrad in philosophy in other European country but didn't do so well - 3,6 (USA GPA).
I have 3 published papers in the subject X I am interested in (2 of them in the top journals in the field)
4 book reviews (again in the top journals about the subject X)
13 Conferences (some of them professional)
3 Invited talks
Worked as co-editor in student philosophy journals and one conference proceedings.
Participated in 4 summerschools in philosophy.
I think that my interests match really good with several faculty members at Oxford. (In fact, one professor confirmed his interest in the subject).
One ref-letter writter is well known in the field and I suppose the letter will be a good one.
Writing sample and thesis about the subject X.
I am not sure what to expect really given high level of competition there, but well who knows.
In short, not expecting it to happen XD
I wish you all good luck with your applications!
Reply 96
Sounds motivating indeed :smile: I've talked to my three referees and they all agreed, and I'm finishing off my writing samples and personal statement currently before my lecturer takes a look at them. The thing I'm most worried about is that there doesn't seem to be much interest in the Department I'm applying to for the specific subject I want to write my thesis on....hope it doesn't harm my chances :frown:

It's good that you're almost done! I didn't write new samples, I simply took old pieces of work that had received good grades - you could do that if you are struggling to finish off!

I really do hope that it doesn't harm your chances too. Though think of it this way, a new idea and one that falls mildly outside of the expertise of potential supervisors might prove an exciting task for the department. You also need to know that at Masters level, the potential supervisor doesn't have to be an exact match to you. I was told this by two professors there! At this stage it needs to be similar and the department will make an allocation accordingly.
Original post by omgwhat
It's good that you're almost done! I didn't write new samples, I simply took old pieces of work that had received good grades - you could do that if you are struggling to finish off!

I really do hope that it doesn't harm your chances too. Though think of it this way, a new idea and one that falls mildly outside of the expertise of potential supervisors might prove an exciting task for the department. You also need to know that at Masters level, the potential supervisor doesn't have to be an exact match to you. I was told this by two professors there! At this stage it needs to be similar and the department will make an allocation accordingly.

Thank you for the kind reassurance :smile: Yes indeed - I'm hoping my topic will be seen as intriguing/novel!
Reply 98
I've heard a few people getting offers already for Cambridge. Do Oxford do the same thing (rolling applications) or do they not look at applications until after the deadline in January?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Original post by egypt94
I've heard a few people getting offers already for Cambridge. Do Oxford do the same thing (rolling applications) or do they not look at applications until after the deadline in January?

From memory, for courses with final application deadlines in January, they don't officially look at the applications and start making offers until the January deadline has passed, so as not to disadvantage people who apply in time but near the deadline. I may have that wrong but I think that's how it works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending