The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2016/17 Postgraduate

I hope it's not inappropriate to start a topic so early - but I saw quite a few of us hanging around this year's thread, so maybe we should have our own.

What's everyone thinking of applying to?

For taught degrees, how specific is your dissertation idea?

Is it better to apply to a popular college you're in love with (and risk rejection and being sent to the least-applied-to) or pick a less-subscribed one? Supposing there's relevant faculty in several places.

What are you doing this year to strengthen your application?

(I'm looking at an English Mst, but still narrowing down strand options.)
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm looking at the pharmacology course :redface: waiting for my results before I start deciding colleges etc :colondollar:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
I'm wondering why the Oxbridge postgrad threads are in the Postgraduate section and not in the Oxford/Cambridge sections, like for the other unis?
Reply 3
Original post by Josb
I'm wondering why the Oxbridge postgrad threads are in the Postgraduate section and not in the Oxford/Cambridge sections, like for the other unis?

I've no idea - I was just following the trend. Sorry if this wasn't the right place to put it!
Reply 4
Nice to see this thread pop up so early!

I´m still in the initial phase of screening universities for their different courses.

Is anyone that is considering a degree in Economic/Finance planning on doing the GRE?
Hey guys,

I'm wondering: are you applying as finalists of your undergrad degrees, or as recent graduates?

Genuinely stuck. Should I apply during final year (with Firsts from my first and second year at university), or should I apply once I've graduated, with even more grades under my belt to 'boast' about? (Assuming of course next year goes as well as the others have gone.)

Thoughts appreciated!

FTC: I just finished my second year of philosophy at KCL. Looking to apply for the MSt in Ancient Philosophy.
Do you guys reckon a 65% average from a good law school would be anywhere near sufficient to get in for a politics based course?
Reply 7
Hello! A hopeful MSt in languages here. Applying with a slightly lower 2nd year grade (64%) after a *lot* of mitigating events. Quite hopeful going forward; a first/high 2.i in all my literature papers so far, and a promising Year Abroad Project. Very nervous though; I'd forgotten how daunting the process of applying to uni was!

No idea which college to go for. Wadham looks lovely.
Reply 8
Still deciding on whether I should. Anyone know when applications will open?
Reply 9
Hi all,

I'm a belgian student, I am thinking about applying to the Mphil International Relations.

I found a dissertation idea that would fit with one of the lecturer and I am hoping my grades, work experience and additional subjects I took will be enough to be allowed in.

Does any of you know if there are Colleges more suited to International Relations? On the course page I think most are listed.
I am applying for the Mphil in British and European History, from 1500 to the present.

Original post by WokSz
Anyone know when applications will open?

I think I read somewhere that it was 1st September but not entirely sure

Original post by kestrels
Is it better to apply to a popular college you're in love with (and risk rejection and being sent to the least-applied-to) or pick a less-subscribed one? Supposing there's relevant faculty in several places. d.

Bump about colleges. Also if we don't get our first choice what is the pooling situation is like? Does almost everyone get pooled to a post-grad college or does it vary?
Reply 11
I have rejected my offer. :frown:

Original post by historynerd24

I am applying for the Mphil in British and European History, from 1500 to the present.

Good luck, we may speak again. :biggrin:

Bump about colleges. Also if we don't get our first choice what is the pooling situation is like? Does almost everyone get pooled to a post-grad college or does it vary?

In my experience, you get pooled to Kellogg, Linacre, St Cross, etc. :s-smilie:
Some people - the better ones I presume - can be allocated to older colleges.
Reply 12
For those struggling with the colleges, I repost my map of Oxford colleges (in blue: postgrad colleges):

Original post by Josb
For those struggling with the colleges, I repost my map of Oxford colleges (in blue: postgrad colleges):

Thanks so much that's really helpful!

Original post by Josb
I have rejected my offer. :frown: Good luck, we may speak again. :biggrin:.

May I ask why you rejected your offer? And are you applying for a history mphil too? :smile:
Reply 14

May I ask why you rejected your offer? And are you applying for a history mphil too? :smile:

PhD, no funding. :frown:
Reply 15
That map is hugely helpful, thank you!

Also, as someone who just visited and toured almost all of the colleges: anything north of Keble takes a LONG time to walk to. Finding LMH and St. Hugh's was an adventure.

I wish I hadn't fallen in love with the most oversubscribed colleges (St. John's, Magdalen)... but I do have to say that every college I saw was gorgeous.
Reply 16
Original post by kestrels
That map is hugely helpful, thank you!

Also, as someone who just visited and toured almost all of the colleges: anything north of Keble takes a LONG time to walk to. Finding LMH and St. Hugh's was an adventure.

I wish I hadn't fallen in love with the most oversubscribed colleges (St. John's, Magdalen)... but I do have to say that every college I saw was gorgeous.

You may consider the location of the postgrad site. Several historic colleges have a distant second site/accommodation. I applied to Balliol because postgrads are not far from the college.
If I apply again, I will draw a new map with postgrad accommodations.
Reply 17
I'm going to start my degree this year and I'm thinking of doing a PG cert in Architectural History with Kellogg College.
Reply 18
Hello All!,

Just joined The Student Room :smile:

Im planning on applying for the MSc in Global Governance and Diplomacy.... Anyone else looking at the same programme?
Reply 19
I'm thinking of applying for the MSt in English (1900-present) or possibly even the MSt in World Literatures...

My thought process is in its early days though as I'm yet to come up with an UG dissertation topic, let alone a Masters research proposal! 😄
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending