The Student Room Group

Shopkeeper's wife was extremely rude to me - am I overreacting?

So I went to my corner shop to get some change lo and behold the wife of the Shopkeeper jumped up from her seat behind the counter and blocked her husband from giving me change. Her reason? "We don't have change, we have no coins". Can you believe the cheek of this fug?

They had change however she didn't want to give it to me despite the fact that I was willing to purchase a cold drink... She told me that I need to spend more but and she even suggested I buy a scratch card when I said I don't want sweets or chocolate bars.

I think she was a racist. She was Indian.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Danny McCoyne

I think she was a racist. She was Indian.

Yup, 100% agree with you.

Spoiler

I don't know why, but I find it quite rustic and villagey the way you called him a "shopkeeper".
Original post by EdmundWoodstock
I don't know why, but I find it quite rustic and villagey the way you called him a "shopkeeper".

what would you call someone who keeps a shop?
Original post by cambio wechsel
what would you call someone who keeps a shop?

The owner
You were trying to change a fifty weren't you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yelllowribbon
Yup, 100% agree with you.

Spoiler

Honestly I felt discriminated by her because I'm black I don't know and unless you're Indian or black you wouldn't understand. Indian people are incredibly racist that's not to say that ALL Indian people are racist but this was the case in this scenario.

She gave a white woman in the queue before me change but when it was my turn she wrinkled her nose and refused. I find it absolutely sickening the way I was treated that I left the drink on the counter and walked out with my dignity in tact.
Reply 7
Honestly I felt discriminated by her because I'm black I don't know and unless you're Indian or black you wouldn't understand. Indian people are incredibly racist that's not to say that ALL Indian people are racist but this was the case in this scenario.

She gave a white woman in the queue before me change but when it was my turn she wrinkled her nose and refused. I find it absolutely sickening the way I was treated that I left the drink on the counter and walked out with my dignity in tact.

Suck it up.

Racist or not she can refuse to sell to you or deal with you anyway she wishes.

Unless your gay, and it was for religious reasons she didn't serve you :wink:
Original post by A5ko
Suck it up.
Racist or not she can refuse to sell to you or deal with you anyway she wishes.
Unless your gay, and it was for religious reasons she didn't serve you :wink:

Why should I suck it up?

You are a racist too if you stand behind her ill-timed refusal to dispense some change. I mean I bought something.

Are you Indian?
You what? Why would we be jealous of white people idiot

Hmm if that's actually what did happen, then yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it was racist.
And yeah bit of a generalisation, but fair enough, a lot of the older generations are kinda racist imo
Original post by Need2Study4Exam
indian people are racist and jealous of white people.

I don't think jealous is the correct word because they love to build a rapport and relations with white people and be accepted by the White English. It's a side effect of living in the UK for such a long time I suppose and it begins with pretending that you're white to fit in by adopting their way of life to the point that you have no identity of your own. I mean many of them can't even speak their mother tongue.
Original post by yelllowribbon
Hmm if that's actually what did happen, then yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it was racist.
And yeah bit of a generalisation, but fair enough, a lot of the older generations are kinda racist imo

Trust me I'm a pleasant and polite person and would never disrespect anyone but this woman had no such regard. I felt insulted.
Reply 13
Why should I suck it up?

You are a racist too if you stand behind her ill-timed refusal to dispense some change. I mean I bought something.

Are you Indian?

Yes, I'm a pseudo-Indian. (White Brit).
Original post by EdmundWoodstock
The owner

:laugh:
She doesn't have to give you change, who do you think you are :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Daisy21
Funny cos Im getting something like this soon

Original post by daindian
what about the white people that use fake tan lol

The question was
"You what? Why would we [indians] be jealous of white people idiot[?]"
And I gave an answer.

What has white people wanting tans got to do with anything?
Reply 17
Original post by TheGuyReturns
The question was
"You what? Why would we [indians] be jealous of white people idiot[?]"
And I gave an answer.

What has white people wanting tans got to do with anything?

White people tan in order to have more melanin in their pale skin like other people who don't lack melanin.
Reply 18
Original post by maximum
White people tan in order to have more melanin in their pale skin like other people who don't lack melanin.

This. Or like little old me we apply fake tan to seem less pale!

That's unlucky mate, what was the shop keeper's reaction?

Quick Reply

Latest