The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter - History or History and IR?

I'm a fresher starting this year (2015-16) and I have an unconditional place for History and International Relations (as I'm on my gap year and already have my grades), but I'm starting to think that history and IR might be a little too much politics for me, history is my true interest but the third year of history and IR looks so good and I'm a lot more interested in modern and international history rather than medieval england and things, although the first two years is a lot more focused on politics than history which doesn't really suit me that well. I have the grades to be accepted onto the straight history course, do you have any advice what I should do? Wait until I get there to decide? Anyone know how easy it is to change courses? Does anyone do history/history and IR and give me advice on the courses?! I'm also thinking history might be a slightly more respected subject but I'm not sure, and it could maybe be a lot harder to get a really good grade?! No idea, please helppppppppp

Thanks!
Original post by sophie7648
I'm a fresher starting this year (2015-16) and I have an unconditional place for History and International Relations (as I'm on my gap year and already have my grades), but I'm starting to think that history and IR might be a little too much politics for me, history is my true interest but the third year of history and IR looks so good and I'm a lot more interested in modern and international history rather than medieval england and things, although the first two years is a lot more focused on politics than history which doesn't really suit me that well. I have the grades to be accepted onto the straight history course, do you have any advice what I should do? Wait until I get there to decide? Anyone know how easy it is to change courses? Does anyone do history/history and IR and give me advice on the courses?! I'm also thinking history might be a slightly more respected subject but I'm not sure, and it could maybe be a lot harder to get a really good grade?! No idea, please helppppppppp

Thanks!

I can't tell you much as I'm applying for 2016 study, but I may be able to offer some help. I'm interested in History and Politics or Politics and International Relations- both have a VERY similar course structure with only minor differences, but ultimately cover the themes of IR. Like you, I prefer both modern and international history, and am pleased that the His/Pol course doesn't dwell on Ancient history as there is a seprate Ancient History/ Classics degree. Although, I do enjoy Politics and want to pursue a degree in it- hence why both choices have a Politics structure.

Back to the point... what I will say is that IR does have a Political basis to it, you cannot really study one without the other. From what I can see though, IR may be used in a more Historical sense- i.e evaluating past events in terms of the relationships between nation-states, decisions made (military action etc.) also formation of alliances/treaties/diplomacy between states. So the degree may not actually delve too much into political structures of our time, Political Theory, political participation etc.

Another possibility is because the degree is a joint honours, you will be studying from two different schools, and IR will be essentially studied on its own whereby Politics is featured quite heavily. Like I say, I can't really give you too much advice, ultimately that the course might not feature as much Political study as you think. Have you had a good look at the modules? Also, have you emailed course tutors to get a little more info?

Hope I helped in some way!:smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending