The Student Room Group

Should i withdraw my offers and go to a uni that wants no qualifications

I am tempted to withdraw my firm offer because i failed my access course. I was told by the marketing department to call the admissions of my firm choice before i make a hasty decision. Whilst i am meant to get the access course document today, it hasn't come. I just want to ****inkg know my failed credits as i know its 12 credits at pass and 3 credits at merit.

So i called the admissions and i get sort of insulted (i expected it). I found it hard to explain my case but because my college hasn't given me the result, it made things harder. The admissions said that my provisonal Grades are too low meaning the marketing team are idiots to even consider me to call up and i felt embarrased to even call them in the first place.

I made a thread a while ago about a university accepting me with no qualifications (and it seems it has been deleted :confused:). I couldn't apply because of the offers i have but now with my firm choice unlikely to take me and i wasn't going to go to my insurance choice anyway, i feel the need to withdraw and to immediately apply to this uni (despite it being in the bottom and with bad reviews) as i can't cope living at home anymore.

Please decide on my fate on what to do, whether i should withdraw or not
the question is would you personanly definetly be happy at the uni you want to apply to for 3 years taking into account the bad reviews, if so and they ll definitely take you with your grades AND you know your offers wont then dont see why not
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
the question is would you personanly definetly be happy at the uni you want to apply to for 3 years taking into account the bad reviews, if so and they ll definitely take you with your grades AND you know your offers wont then dont see why not

Personally, i wouldn't mind because all education establishments have flaws in them.

The university that im planning doesn't want anything but because i am trying to do a music degree, they need to know if i can read music and understand the theory and this is the huge con.

If i withdraw and apply to the uni, i would need to be confident in reading music and if i don't get a place, i'm technically ****ed for a long time. It's my fault for failing the access course due to my depression
Original post by O.Ozz
Personally, i wouldn't mind because all education establishments have flaws in them.

The university that im planning doesn't want anything but because i am trying to do a music degree, they need to know if i can read music and understand the theory and this is the huge con.

If i withdraw and apply to the uni, i would need to be confident in reading music and if i don't get a place, i'm technically ****ed for a long time. It's my fault for failing the access course due to my depression

I d wait until you get your results definitely confirmed and then at least you know what you re applying with. do you have a grade 5 in music theory or anything like that that shows you know your stuff with music?
I m sure its not all your fault, hope it works out for you.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I d wait until you get your results definitely confirmed and then at least you know what you re applying with. do you have a grade 5 in music theory or anything like that that shows you know your stuff with music?
I m sure its not all your fault, hope it works out for you.

I have no clue on music theory at all. I can read maybe basic notes. my firm offer was a music degree but the interview consisted of me talking my passion and playing a tune for them. They didn't care if i could read music.

It is going to be hard to get into uni with poor grades
Reply 5
Original post by callum_law
If you can't even pass an Access to HE diploma, how on earth do you think you are gonna manage at uni? Even if it is music.

mate, i've said this 100 times to you, music is my strong point. It is what i do.

All i know is,

I aint living in this house
I need a life, urgently
I'm already too old to go uni, so its better to go now
And i need my desired career
Original post by O.Ozz
I have no clue on music theory at all. I can read maybe basic notes. my firm offer was a music degree but the interview consisted of me talking my passion and playing a tune for them. They didn't care if i could read music.

It is going to be hard to get into uni with poor grades

it will be a bit hard yes, but worth trying to apply for places if you don't meet your offers.
What are your plans for after uni, it sounds like your only reason is to get away from home. Its worth stating that going to uni is not a solution to depression, its a stressful place everyone gets depressed and wants to leave at some point in the first year. If you don't have good reasons you will struggle and end up failing in uni especially if you already have depression, need to get that sorted out.

It sounds like you take everything personally maybe thats part of your problem thats understandable the person probably wasnt trying to insult you, just a thought anyway.

Was the application at the other unis for music as well? Also not going to uni isnt the end of the world I would look into College especially if you are hoping to do music, you do not have to go to uni for a music qualification.
Original post by O.Ozz
mate, i've said this 100 times to you, music is my strong point. It is what i do.

All i know is,

I aint living in this house
I need a life, urgently
I'm already too old to go uni, so its better to go now
And i need my desired career

Best of luck then, bud. Just hope you can commit yourself to music then.
Reply 9
Original post by Mathlover123
What are your plans for after uni, it sounds like your only reason is to get away from home. Its worth stating that going to uni is not a solution to depression, its a stressful place everyone gets depressed and wants to leave at some point in the first year. If you don't have good reasons you will struggle and end up failing in uni especially if you already have depression, need to get that sorted out.

It sounds like you take everything personally maybe thats part of your problem thats understandable the person probably wasnt trying to insult you, just a thought anyway.

Was the application at the other unis for music as well? Also not going to uni isnt the end of the world I would look into College especially if you are hoping to do music, you do not have to go to uni for a music qualification.

I can not look into college and go back at the age of 20. Most colleges don't want mature students in BTEC courses anymore

I had a conditional offer to study music at my firm choice and that interview just consisted of me expressing my passion. I'm angry to fail my access course but i don't want to live here anymore. I can't take being a loser anymore and i want a career as well as no jobs wants me
Reply 10
You know what guys, this is annoying me :frown:

I think i'm going to withdraw as it clear my firm choice won't accept me after that phonecall i had earlier
Original post by O.Ozz
You know what guys, this is annoying me :frown:

I think i'm going to withdraw as it clear my firm choice won't accept me after that phonecall i had earlier

Original post by O.Ozz
bump

Why bump? From your last response it sounds like you've already made up your mind?
Reply 12
Original post by lledrith
Why bump? From your last response it sounds like you've already made up your mind?

:frown: idk man, im a *******,

i can't decide, i was meant to get my documents today but i haven't received anything at all and im getting upset. If i have received them today, this issue would have been solved today.

as i said, my firm choice was not favourable of the provisional results i have. It's clear they don't want me and i know insurance wouldn't want me as well.
Original post by O.Ozz
:frown: idk man, im a *******,

i can't decide, i was meant to get my documents today but i haven't received anything at all and im getting upset. If i have received them today, this issue would have been solved today.

as i said, my firm choice was not favourable of the provisional results i have. It's clear they don't want me and i know insurance wouldn't want me as well.

I've not had my results transcript either; do you know which exam board you were doing your Access course with? Sometimes they have a schedule on their site of when results are to be posted.
Reply 14
Original post by lledrith
I've not had my results transcript either; do you know which exam board you were doing your Access course with? Sometimes they have a schedule on their site of when results are to be posted.

its ocn i think. what was yours?
Original post by O.Ozz
its ocn i think. what was yours?

Ascentis.

Apparently they're done moderating but I've not managed to get any answers yet about when we'll actually have something on paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending