The Student Room Group

Changing from Psychology to Mental Health Nursing - Advice?

Hi everyone, I really need some help!

I have an offer to study the Psychology Access course at Reading College this September. However, I've decided the better choice is to become a mental health nurse instead. They do offer a Mental Health Nursing Access at Reading College but I don't know how easy it would be to switch to that, or if it would even be the right decision for me. :s-smilie:

My biggest concern is that I would ideally like to work and gain experience while becoming qualified - how can I do this? Is there any way I could apply for low-level jobs in the NHS now that could help me work my way up to doing a nursing degree alongside my job in future? I've had 3 years experience working with young people and I don't really want to stop now!
Original post by aterax
Hi everyone, I really need some help!

I have an offer to study the Psychology Access course at Reading College this September. However, I've decided the better choice is to become a mental health nurse instead. They do offer a Mental Health Nursing Access at Reading College but I don't know how easy it would be to switch to that, or if it would even be the right decision for me. :s-smilie:

My biggest concern is that I would ideally like to work and gain experience while becoming qualified - how can I do this? Is there any way I could apply for low-level jobs in the NHS now that could help me work my way up to doing a nursing degree alongside my job in future? I've had 3 years experience working with young people and I don't really want to stop now!

i m really sorry but with the current system you have to go to uni and do the nursing degree full time, theres no way of working you re way up really. You can still work bank whilst you do your degree if you think that you can manage it but working full time isnt doable.

you can phone up the college and ask if they switch you over so you know what you re options are.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
i m really sorry but with the current system you have to go to uni and do the nursing degree full time, theres no way of working you re way up really. You can still work bank whilst you do your degree if you think that you can manage it but working full time isnt doable.

you can phone up the college and ask if they switch you over so you know what you re options are.

Thanks for the answer Claire! I have heard about NVQ Level 2 and 3 qualifications which people undertake while working as Healthcare Assistants or similar. And then they go onto the Nursing Degree from there. Is that true?

That's why I'm asking if an Access Course is really necessary? If there's a possibility of working while becoming qualified.

Any ideas?
Original post by aterax
Thanks for the answer Claire! I have heard about NVQ Level 2 and 3 qualifications which people undertake while working as Healthcare Assistants or similar. And then they go onto the Nursing Degree from there. Is that true?

That's why I'm asking if an Access Course is really necessary? If there's a possibility of working while becoming qualified.

Any ideas?

As far as i know, not many universities accept NVQ level 3's and if they do its in combination with other qualifications, so in that case an access course would be necessary.

You could do an access course part time and work alongside it, but when doing the actual nursing degree especially alongside placements they say to work as little as you can really.
Reply 4
As far as i know, not many universities accept NVQ level 3's and if they do its in combination with other qualifications, so in that case an access course would be necessary.

You could do an access course part time and work alongside it, but when doing the actual nursing degree especially alongside placements they say to work as little as you can really.

Thanks for that, I get that the degree is quite tough and people do struggle to work alongside it. This might be a dumb question, but do people earn anything from their placements during the degree? Or do they just benefit from the degree being covered by the NHS?
From looking on ucas, these unis say that they will consider accepting NVQ level 3 on its own:
abertay
bangor
buckinghamshire new
canterbury christ church
Cumbria (which says you must have at least 2 years experience)
Derby
Greenwhich
Hull
Kingston
Northampton
Uni of south wales
Teeside will accept an NVQ4
York
so you could do the NVQ3 and apply to any of those universities but the other 50 or so might want you to have an access or other qualifications on top of an NVQ before they ll consider you and some wont accept NVQs whatsoever.
Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by aterax
Thanks for that, I get that the degree is quite tough and people do struggle to work alongside it. This might be a dumb question, but do people earn anything from their placements during the degree? Or do they just benefit from the degree being covered by the NHS?

no you dont earn a wage or anything, there is an NHS bursary which is means tested but having read something written by a student nurse they said that it works out to be less than apprenticeship wage for every hour of placement for most people on nhs bursaries.
Original post by aterax

Hi
i'm a second year child nursing student so might be able to help.

We can get a maintenance loan from student finance which is £2324 a year in 1st & 2nd year (for a student who lives outside of london and not with parents) then about £1800 in 3rd year. This is paid back once you start working and earn above the threshold.

You can also apply to the nhs for a means tested bursary which you do not pay back. This is determined by whether you're living away, how much your parents (or spouse) earn if you are a dependent, where you are studying, children etc.

Furthermore, when on placement you can claim back travel costs (provided its more than it costs you to get uni) and accommodation costs if you have to live away for placement (£25 a night for non-commercial, £55 a night for commercial).

As long as you budget and plan your spending, you can live without a job alongside the cost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Sophi12
Hi
i'm a second year child nursing student so might be able to help.

Thank you so much for this! Your post was so helpful and gave me lots to research :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aterax
Thank you so much for this! Your post was so helpful and gave me lots to research :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile:
I dont mind helping people as i wish i had had someone to help me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
they were asking if they could do a degree with an NVQ which is a form of training rather than an access course. Not sure where a lack of training comes into this?

Thanks for all your help, Claire! I wish I could upvote you some more for your answers! I will probably do the Mental Health Access which will give me a better idea of what the Nursing degree will be like. I don't think the NVQ route will be a solid enough option for me. Thanks again!
Original post by aterax
Thanks for all your help, Claire! I wish I could upvote you some more for your answers! I will probably do the Mental Health Access which will give me a better idea of what the Nursing degree will be like. I don't think the NVQ route will be a solid enough option for me. Thanks again!

no problem:smile: best of luck with your access course and if you ve any questions when it comes to applying you re welcome to send me a message anytime:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending