The Student Room Group

Modern young women are unattractive. Agree or disagree?

At least in the 18-25 age range. (I do not mean appearance wise though some women do dress a bit too revealingly these days. Young guys also often act like this)

Started dating after a hiatus lately but the girls "on the market" often don't appeal to me at all. No, I'm not being sour grapes and have dated a few, and a lot of the things I don't find attractive are to do with more "modern society," but I honestly think that young women nowadays are less attractive than they were even 5 years ago (when I was a teenager). Anyone else agree?

First off, they're image and attention obsessed. Obviously looks count but so many girls take multiple pictures of themselves plastered in makeup on Facebook, Instagram, you name it just for "likes" and their lives revolve around it. Sometimes it's quite dangerous too as their profiles are open and literally anyone can see these photos and what they have been up to.

They often also pretend to be bisexual for attention and/or are loud, shouty, and rowdy and/or talk about sex in inappropriate places (e.g. banging on about Beyonce's butt or kissing their friends or which female celebrities they'd sleep with or half screaming at each other when they could just talk in restaurants or public toilets). It's just unclassy.

Talking of class that is another thing young women today seem to lack, often flirting with pretty much everyone. It's an embarrassment in the workplace trying to get taken seriously when some poor old married sod from HR has a young woman again plastered in makeup batting her eyelashes, telling him how nice he looks and trying to play games instead of working hard like everyone else is expected to. Or trying to get a job done when the self obsessed girls there are busy gossiping, being cliquey and criticising others when they are young and naive themselves (not my experience this, but one of my female friends').

Also, this is probably our generation in general but a lot of young women don't even take the degrees they are paying thousands a year for or the jobs they are paid to do seriously? The number of lazy ones I have seen blows my mind. I hate complaining in stores but in half the stores I'm in these days, when you ask for help, there is a lackadaisical sales assistant on minimum wage rolling her eyes at you and exchanging looks with her colleagues to your face.

I expect this post will anger a lot of people but I am not trying to have a go at young women and god knows no one wants to go back to the 50s where women could not even get a job in most areas. But is it just me or are girls of this generation often thoroughly unappealing personality wise?

Scroll to see replies

how can you make such a sweeping statement like this?
Reply 2
Original post by zippity.doodah
how can you make such a sweeping statement like this?

Often unattractive (controversy in the headline brings in most posts)
Reply 3
but are the men any better tho?
You're not looking in the right places.
Reply 5
Original post by Tai Ga
but are the men any better tho?

No, I said so in OP

enaayrah
You're not looking in the right places.

Where are the "right places"? I'm not looking in clubs, but university, dating site, sports club type places
Are your visual sources British?

Because then you're in for a large ratio of mediocre to attractive women
Reply 7
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Are your visual sources British?

Because then you're in for a large ratio of mediocre to attractive women

I do not mean appearance wise
Original post by Anonymous
I do not mean appearance wise

Oh, personality wise, it's not that different.
Reply 9
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Oh, personality wise, it's not that different.

A lot of young European women are like that too.

Went to visit a mate in Liverpool a few weeks ago, stayed in a hostel bc he had a massive birthday party. Me and my friend had to change room because there was a group of loud, young, rude, vulgar Italian girls in there making it hell for all the other travellers.
Hey at least we look better than most guys!!!
I kind of agree with you OP. However, that's not to say all women are like this. You have to find the right ones for you. Also, what may be unattractive to you may be attractive to another person.

A lot of women are like that simply because they believe it shows strength, confidence and independence. I'm sure if you give them time to mature a little bit, they will realise that it really doesn't show/isn't the right way to show any of that.
"You know nothing, OP." No but in all seriousness, stop stalking the girls doing the things that you don't like. There are girls out there that have depth. There are girls out there that care about more than themselves. There are girls that like the things that you like. Don't go bashing every single woman of this generation just because you haven't looked that hard. Who's the lazy one really? Them or you? One sales assistant at one store is enough to make you think the whole generation is screwed? Why oh why.
(edited 8 years ago)
I know girls just like this but I know many that are not like this. It's the same story the few ruin rhe reputation of the majority.
Original post by newttella
"You know nothing, OP." No but in all seriousness, stop stalking the girls doing the things that you don't like. There are girls out there that have depth. There are girls out there that care about more than themselves. There are girls that like the things that you like. Don't go bashing every single woman of this generation just because you haven't looked that hard. Who's the lazy really one? Them or you? One sales assistant at one store is enough to make you think the whole generation is screwed? Why oh why.

Yes, my entire post was based around one sales assistant at one store, and every time I go on Facebook and my news feed is full of "selfies" I am stalking people.

:rolleyes:
Original post by SillyMilly
I know girls just like this but I know many that are not like this. It's the same story the few ruin rhe reputation of the majority.

Yes it could largely be where I live/study etc. Having said that nothing against working class people but it's actually full of upper middle class girls, so not just "chav culture".
Most I've come across are fine but many people I find to be extremely annoying, I just don't associate with them. The ones in college that scream and shout are the worst ones.

I think that maybe the world has become more narcissistic as a whole, telling everyone how special they are and it's not their fault when something goes wrong, it's because they had a bad childhood.
Yes, my entire post was based around one sales assistant at one store, and every time I go on Facebook and my news feed is full of "selfies" I am stalking people.

:rolleyes:

I didn't mean to say your post was based around one scenario, but the reason I was bashing you is because your whole post is really narrow-minded. It's not fair to put all women into one category. Not everyone is the way you say they are in your post that's a fact. So why did you have to make a topic about it? All it does is offend people. So the answer to your topic question- I disagree with it.
Yes it could largely be where I live/study etc. Having said that nothing against working class people but it's actually full of upper middle class girls, so not just "chav culture".

I agree there are lots of girls like you described and personally I don't like woman like that as I think they are just attention seekers. But I'm sure there are many who arnt like that/ you get more of the type you've described at uni than you do in the real world !
The bait is real. I like your essay structure, 5/5 would score A* in Eng Language

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending