The Student Room Group

What are the nicest and worst University cities?

In my opinion, the best would be:

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Durham

Worst:

1. Nottingham
2. Manchester
3. Sheffield

I am kind of biased towards the oldern - style cities though :P
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not a city but the area around st andrews is lovely!
Belfast? 1/4 of it is nice which admittedly the university is in, but the rest is ****.
Original post by Phan66
1. Cambridge

Excepting the university there is nothing there.

The answer to your question is:

Best
Bath
Edinburgh
Brighton/Cardiff

Worst
Bolton
Preston
Coventry
Reply 4
Original post by cambio wechsel

Best
Bath
Edinburgh
Brighton/Cardiff

Worst
Bolton
Preston
Coventry

I meant in terms of low crime rates and city attractiveness
Best:
Edinburgh
Bristol
Newcastle

Worst:
Aberdeen
Sunderland
Durham
Reply 6
Original post by Quantex
Best:
Edinburgh
Bristol
Newcastle

Worst:
Aberdeen
Sunderland
Durham

You might want to read this about Bristol: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8621007/Scale-of-crime-in-university-cities-revealed.html
Original post by Phan66
I meant in terms of low crime rates and city attractiveness

And I am telling you that if you extracted the footprint of the university from the city of Cambridge you would be high-sixing the locals in the shadow of an exorbitantly costly car park in the middle of nothing at all.

Anyway, in the light of your revised criteria the 'best' are St. Andrew's, Bath, and Canterbury.

I wonder if you have been to Oxford, which is in large part a blue collar town (was a major car-making centre) and has several enormous estates, most notoriously Blackbird Leys. Not as bad as New Haven Connecticut, mind.
Reply 8
And I am telling you that if you extracted the footprint of the university from the city of Cambridge you would be high-sixing the locals in the shadow of an exorbitantly costly car park in the middle of nothing at all.

Anyway, in the light of your revised criteria the 'best' are St. Andrew's, Bath, and Canterbury.

I wonder if you have been to Oxford, which is in large part a blue collar town (was a major car-making centre) and has several enormous estates, most notoriously Blackbird Leys. Not as bad as New Haven Connecticut, mind.

I'd have to disagree. I've been to Oxford multiple times and it is one of the most beautiful places i've ever been. However I am biased to the more old - style cities... However there is barely any parking anywhere which is a downside. And Blackbird Leys is in Oxfordshire, not Oxford city.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Phan66

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Durham

Worst:

1. Nottingham
2. Manchester
3. Sheffield

Care to expand on Sheffield?

I know it's your opinion but im just interested as to why you see it that way.
Best
Bath
Edinburgh
Brighton/Cardiff
Worst
Bolton
Preston
Coventry

I went to Bath once. It is beautiful. :smile:

Original post by Quantex
Best:
Edinburgh
Bristol
Newcastle
Worst:
Aberdeen
Sunderland
Durham

I want to visit those two. :smile:

Right but the thread topic is 'university cities' and we're (presumably) looking at this from students' perspectives, so I'm not sure where your hypothetical gets us.

Original post by Phan66
Worst:1. Nottingham2. Manchester3. Sheffield
I quite like Manchester. The whole post-industrial emptied-out-brick-factories-everywhere vibe is quite cool. I don't think much of the centre is very traditionally pleasant, though, so I suppose it depends what you're looking for.

Original post by Juichiro
I want to visit those two. :smile:
Newcastle is like any other city but with a higher than typical concentration of Greggses.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by TimmonaPortella

I quite like Manchester. The whole post-industrial emptied-out-brick-factories-everywhere vibe is quite cool. I don't think much of the centre is very traditionally pleasant, though, so I suppose it depends what you're looking for.

And this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8621007/Scale-of-crime-in-university-cities-revealed.html

I tend to think that looking at the cities as a whole is a bit simplistic, because it depends where the universities are in the city, where you live when you're there, etc. But I take the point.

By coincidence, I almost put Manchester and Nottingham down on the list.
I had my room broken into and burgled when I was a student at Nottingham. They took my phone and laptop. Losing such items is an annoyance, but only a relatively minor one. I would willingly overlook a higher crime rate to live in a city that I would enjoy.
I love both Sheffield and Nottingham! They might not be as picturesque as other cities (York and Norwich are up there for me) but there's so much going on! Nottingham has some amazing places, beautiful buildings, and I think the crime rate is more reputation than anything. My brother is a police officer in Nottingham, and he doesn't think there's anything for me to really worry about.
Worst I'd say is Staffordshire.
Canterbury is gorgeous; I'm pretty biased but it is lovely.
Reply 18
Best
Oxford
Bristol
Leeds

Worst
Bolton
Manchester
Wrexham
Best
London

Worst