The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Econ

Hi
How good is Warwick undergrad econ in UK/world? Is it on the same level as LSE/Oxbridge? Its ranking in Times, CUG, Guardian is top 3 but in QS its worse than UCL by quite a bit, any thoughts?
Original post by FloatingCloud
Hi
How good is Warwick undergrad econ in UK/world? Is it on the same level as LSE/Oxbridge? Its ranking in Times, CUG, Guardian is top 3 but in QS its worse than UCL by quite a bit, any thoughts?

In the UK it's top 5, usually:
Cambridge
LSE
Oxford
Warwick/UCL
Whether you put Warwick or UCL at 4 is essentially down to personal preference, although most people say UCL due to the location.
Warwick and UCL are very good, but aren't LSE/Oxbridge level.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by H0PEL3SS
In the UK it's top 5, usually:
Cambridge
LSE
Oxford
Warwick/UCL
Whether you put Warwick or UCL at 4 is essentially down to personal preference, although most people say UCL due to the location.
Warwick and UCL are very good, but aren't LSE/Oxbridge level.

Not just location but also because of history. I fail to understand how a uni that was established in the 1960s is considered more prestigious than older universities such as Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Kings and Bristol.

I'm unbiased so I understand Warwick is regarded highly by employers and is top notch for maths though.
Original post by 96jaimin96
Not just location but also because of history. I fail to understand how a uni that was established in the 1960s is considered more prestigious than older universities such as Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Kings and Bristol.
I'm unbiased so I understand Warwick is regarded highly by employers and is top notch for maths though.

When it comes to the universities on the whole, then yes, UCL's history makes it the better university. But for economics, the courses are similar, the prestige difference is minimal, and graduate prospects are identical.
Original post by FloatingCloud
Hi

It's definitely not considered on the same level as LSE/Oxbridge.. but it's still very highly regarded.
I don't know what kind of domestic rankings you are looking at but Warwick has never been 3rd place in any domestic rankings... Times - 8th, CUG - 7th and Guardian 6th. It does worse in world rankings, 12th nationally in THE and 10th nationally in QS but that's just because it's a relatively small university.

Original post by 96jaimin96

It's considered more prestigious than Durham, St Andrews and King's? Even Edinburgh? For Maths/Economics/Accounting - yes, but its natural sciences, arts and humanities courses aren't that prestigious.
Original post by CompSci16
It's definitely not considered on the same level as LSE/Oxbridge.. but it's still very highly regarded.
I don't know what kind of domestic rankings you are looking at but Warwick has never been 3rd place in any domestic rankings... Times - 8th, CUG - 7th and Guardian 6th. It does worse in world rankings, 12th nationally in THE and 10th nationally in QS but that's just because it's a relatively small university.

It's considered more prestigious than Durham, St Andrews and King's? Even Edinburgh? For Maths/Economics/Accounting - yes, but its natural sciences, arts and humanities courses aren't that prestigious.

I was referring to subject, Top 3 rank in terms of economics: Times- 1st, CUG- 2nd, Guardian 2nd if i recalled correctly. QS 29th?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending