The Student Room Group

D2 or M3?

I'm studying A2 maths next year and have to chose between these two modules. I plan on studying computer science at university.

is D2 much easier than M3? I'm not one to take the easy way out but perhaps D2 may be more beneficial for my degree, although M3 could help with any potential STEP requirement.
Reply 1
Original post by Rabadon
I'm studying A2 maths next year and have to chose between these two modules. I plan on studying computer science at university.

is D2 much easier than M3? I'm not one to take the easy way out but perhaps D2 may be more beneficial for my degree, although M3 could help with any potential STEP requirement.

M3, don't do d2 unless you want to die of boredom. I'm sure a compsci degree is nothing like d2, and is instead more mathematical
Reply 2
The difference is makes to your degree, from choosing one module to another is largely insignificant and matters very little. The content missed from maths modules is usually picked up in your first few lectures anyway.

As far as I know, only Cambridge/Imperial/Oxford/Durham specifically request details on which modules you do, so if you don't apply to any of them, it really does not matter. Plus declaring your modules is optional, so they'll only know when you've done your exams.

Truth be told, D2 is MILES easier than M3 could ever be, to the point where I literally learnt all the content the weekend before the exam, and achieved over 90 ums. With D2 you can just go through exam papers, with M3 you have to actually have some understanding.

Advantages of M3 are that you may find it more fun to do, and you won't get elitists laughing at you for doing it. I personally didn't find D2 as boring as some people make it out to be.
Original post by Rabadon

Since you speak of step this makes me assume you speak of top universities sko M3 by that matter. I know that Oxbridge arent too keen of decision but ive never done it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by physicsmaths
Since you speak of step this makes me assume you speak of top universities sko M3 by that matter. I know that Oxbridge arent too keen of decision but ive never done it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imperial is only uni that say they "may" include STEP in their compsci offers. Perhaps because I do further maths they may not include it in a potential offer for I? I'm not sure.
Original post by Rabadon
Imperial is only uni that say they "may" include STEP in their compsci offers. Perhaps because I do further maths they may not include it in a potential offer for I? I'm not sure.

To give you a heads up, imperial gave a horrendous amount of hard step offers just go to imperial 2014 applicants thread. They gave it to tons of people like alot and not even easy ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by physicsmaths
To give you a heads up, imperial gave a horrendous amount of hard step offers just go to imperial 2014 applicants thread. They gave it to tons of people like alot and not even easy ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting, I do do further maths though. My body is ready.
Original post by Rabadon
Interesting, I do do further maths though. My body is ready.

Alot of those do further maths aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Rabadon
Interesting, .... My body is ready.

my body is ready for sleep ...

bedtime read:
Advanced Algebra Vol I by Clement Vavasor Durell
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TeeEm
my body is ready for sleep ...

bedtime read:
Advanced Algebra Vol I by Cemet Vavasor Durell

mine too, and enjoy!!
Original post by Rabadon

Cambridge often include STEP offers as well for CompSci students.
Reply 11
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Cambridge often include STEP offers as well for CompSci students.

Ofcourse, I meant out of the ones i'm applying to. I didn't make that very clear lol sorry
I did both D2 and M3 and both are equally boring. The maths only gets good when you start doing less routine questions :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by lllllllllll
I did both D2 and M3 and both are equally boring. The maths only gets good when you start doing less routine questions :smile:

difficulty? any preference at all? :smile:
Original post by Rabadon

I would go for M3, it will help you immensely more in terms of opinions on your modules taken from universities. If they are deciding between 2 near miss candidates, and ceterus parabus (all other things being equal) if you got the same mark in M3 as another candidate got in D2 (UMS wise), most institutes would take you over the other candidate. I would say the step up from M1 to M2 is far far greater than the step up form M2 to M3 as M3 is basically M2 but harder whilst M2 introduces a lot of things that were not in M1.
Original post by Rabadon

Non lol. Do both if you're unsure :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest