The Student Room Group

Very complicated; can I get funding for this final year of a 4 year course?

Right, this is immensely complex (it confuses me sometimes) so I'll do it in bullet points:

- Began studying Architecture & Planning (A&P) a 4 year course
- Passed years 1 and 2 no problems
- Third year I had a very distressing series of life events that caused me to fail
- I sought emotional help/was diagnosed with anxiety/depression
- Managed to convince myself to try again
- Failed third year for the same reasons (twice now)
- Decided to talk to tutors and Councillors and managed to attribute my anxiety to the Architectural components of my course
- Removing my Architecture and leaving my planning left me with a much better grade, going from a 2:2 to a 1st
- Decided to go into Urban Planning course (a 4 year undergraduate course but 4th year is an undergrad masters, not a fully fledged one)
- This slots me into 3rd year of that course (not starting again, I can carry over a 2 years worth of credit)
- SFE asked for evidence of my emotional issues, letters from doctors and University sent and accepted, they funded me (after I explained my entry to 3rd year as well)
- Completed that year (smashed it, excuse my pride)
- Same issue this year, the entitlement page says they won't fund me

I tried calling just now but they're doing maintenance so explaining my situation is immensely difficult.

I'm a bit anxious (OK, very anxious) because I finally figured out what I'm good at and don't want to fail to be funded now when I've finally got a grasp on my studies (I'm even doing a summer placement full time in a council planning office).

I think SFE aren't aware I'm going into my final year (AKA they think that I'm going into my 2nd year of Urban Planning as I've been funded one year on that course code) but I'm not sure :frown:

I've had 5 years funding, which I understand is the maximum. Is that taking into consideration a switch in course/proven emotional circumstances? I just feel a bit distraught as I messed up two years in a row, finally got a handle on things and now it looks like I might not get funding.

I was guessing that the 5 years is 4 years + 1 mess up, but does that account for my sort of emotional distress or just failing full stop?

So the formula:

(New Course Length + 1 Year) - prior years funded = Entitlement

Would mean I'm only entitled to 1 year of funding (4+1) - 4 = 1

But I only proved one year to be emotional issues (when I switched to Planning this year) so would it be:

(New Course Length + 1 Year + 1 Proven Year) - prior years funded = Entitlement (2?)

Any advice/thoughts?

I appreciate this is immensely complex.

Kind regards,

Era0

EDIT: I just found this about CPR (compelling personal reasons) I realize it's not SFE but does that confirm what I said? https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/static/5007/sspdf/CPR.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending