The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick math materials

Hello, is there an archive of Warwick maths materials that I can use? I heard the Warwick maths society makes these revision guides but I haven't been able to find any. I would also appreciate the official course materials that the lecturers give out. (Note: I don't have a Warwick login yet so I won't be able to access any password protected files) If not then would someone be so kind as to send me the first year materials? (Lecture notes and problem sheets with solutions would be ideal)

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
I've managed to find these analysis I notes but it says "for non-maths students" which I find slightly confusing. (Why would non-maths students take analysis, I thought you only needed calculus for applications.) Bottom line: Are these suitable to study from if I'll be doing straight maths?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/people/staff/oleg_zaboronski/analysisi/
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by PotterPhysics
I've managed to find these analysis I notes but it says "for non-maths students" which I find slightly confusing. (Why would non-maths students take analysis, I thought you only needed calculus for applications.) Bottom line: Are these suitable to study from if I'll be doing straight maths?
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/people/staff/oleg_zaboronski/analysisi/

Quite a lot of non-maths students take it (mostly things like Maths/Physics and other joint degrees). The courses are very similar, so it should be useful. The actual workbooks (which form the majority of the material for Analysis I) aren't officially available every year, but they haven't changed them in like a decade, so there's probably copies available somewhere. I'll see if I can dig out some PDF notes or something tomorrow. For other modules, the UG Handbook page for the module will sometimes have links to older materials on the top. Most of the first year modules don't change much from year to year, so the old stuff will still be useful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BlueSam3
Quite a lot of non-maths students take it (mostly things like Maths/Physics and other joint degrees). The courses are very similar, so it should be useful. The actual workbooks (which form the majority of the material for Analysis I) aren't officially available every year, but they haven't changed them in like a decade, so there's probably copies available somewhere. I'll see if I can dig out some PDF notes or something tomorrow. For other modules, the UG Handbook page for the module will sometimes have links to older materials on the top. Most of the first year modules don't change much from year to year, so the old stuff will still be useful.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

Are we allowed to take a second year module in first year? (EDIT: oh wait, yes: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3335987 ) Also what do you think about "programming for scientists" and "maths by computer"? EDIT: Lastly, is the quantum phenomena module just like this large a level physics module, in that you don't actually go deep into the maths but just cover lots of different "themes"?
(edited 8 years ago)

Are we allowed to take a second year module in first year? (EDIT: oh wait, yes: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3335987 ) Also what do you think about "programming for scientists" and "maths by computer"? EDIT: Lastly, is the quantum phenomena module just like this large a level physics module, in that you don't actually go deep into the maths but just cover lots of different "themes"?

I guess theoretically, but you'd probably have to have a good reason for wanting to do so as most of them rely on modules from the first year.

I quite liked programming for scientists, and it was my highest mark last year. It's also nice as it's not assessed by an exam, which makes term 3 slightly easier. I did end up having to spend quite a lot of time on it though. Although I guess this depends on how used to programming you are - I didn't have any prior programming experience.

If you're doing straight maths, maths by computer is compulsory. I didn't particularly like it, but you're allowed to work in pairs so it doesn't take much time. I can't say I'm particularly good at using MATLAB as a result of this course though.

As someone else said, it's basically a history of physics module with a little bit of quantum mechanics at the end. I took it on the assumption it would be easy. I guess it was easy, but I didn't take it seriously and so didn't do as well as I should have. It was my second lowest scoring module last year.
Original post by brittanna
I guess theoretically, but you'd probably have to have a good reason for wanting to do so as most of them rely on modules from the first year.

I quite liked programming for scientists, and it was my highest mark last year. It's also nice as it's not assessed by an exam, which makes term 3 slightly easier. I did end up having to spend quite a lot of time on it though. Although I guess this depends on how used to programming you are - I didn't have any prior programming experience.

If you're doing straight maths, maths by computer is compulsory. I didn't particularly like it, but you're allowed to work in pairs so it doesn't take much time. I can't say I'm particularly good at using MATLAB as a result of this course though.

As someone else said, it's basically a history of physics module with a little bit of quantum mechanics at the end. I took it on the assumption it would be easy. I guess it was easy, but I didn't take it seriously and so didn't do as well as I should have. It was my second lowest scoring module last year.

Thanks for the reply. For number theory my reason would be that I've been doing it for about 3 years on my own and it is by far my favorite subject. I have solved several olympiad number theory problems (including many IMO). I have already studied one of the recommended texts: Davenport's higher arithmetic. I know all the material on the list with the exception of "Hasse Principle". (However all the treatments I read were elementary so I will still learn something from the module in the way of using abstract algebra in number theory, which should be fun.) The problem solving course in year 3 looks interesting too, I've done lots of problem solving and made it to BMO2 so it looks like a free course. Would it be worth taking?

Ah, completely forgot maths by computer was compulsory. I'll probably not do programming for scientists then. Also I don't think I would enjoy the quantum phenomena module judging from A level physics. I have restricted my physics to mechanics and e&m, which I see it as my duty to do.
Thanks for the reply. For number theory my reason would be that I've been doing it for about 3 years on my own and it is by far my favorite subject. I have solved several olympiad number theory problems (including many IMO). I have already studied one of the recommended texts: Davenport's higher arithmetic. I know all the material on the list with the exception of "Hasse Principle". (However all the treatments I read were elementary so I will still learn something from the module in the way of using abstract algebra in number theory, which should be fun.) The problem solving course in year 3 looks interesting too, I've done lots of problem solving and made it to BMO2 so it looks like a free course. Would it be worth taking?

Ah, completely forgot maths by computer was compulsory. I'll probably not do programming for scientists then. Also I don't think I would enjoy the quantum phenomena module judging from A level physics. I have restricted my physics to mechanics and e&m, which I see it as my duty to do.

Ah, okay. If you explained your situation to whoever it is you're supposed to explain it to (probably the lecturers and the director of undergraduate studies), you may be allowed to take it as an unusual option. (You can only take 30 CATS of unusual options throughout your degree though). So have you got any algebra experience then (groups and rings) because from what I've heard, the module seems fairly reliant on it (you do a small abstract algebra module in year 1, and then a larger abstract algebra module in year 2 alongside this module). But I didn't do this module, so I can't say so for certain.

You can take the problem solving module in years 2, 3 or 4 I think. Once again, I haven't done this module yet and so I can't say much about it. It's worth pointing out that there seems to be a somewhat significant essay style component to the exam.

If you were interested in Quantum Mechanics, I'd wait until the second year module offered by the Physics department (or even the fourth year module offered by the Maths department (or both!)). The former goes over the few useful parts of Quantum Phenomena, and so you won't be disadvantaged by having not done it.

I can't say much about E&M as I dropped it after the first couple of weeks. It seemed to use stuff from G&M, which we didn't learn until term 2 and so I struggled to follow what was going on. Mechanics was good though.
Ah, okay. If you explained your situation to whoever it is you're supposed to explain it to (probably the lecturers and the director of undergraduate studies), you may be allowed to take it as an unusual option. (You can only take 30 CATS of unusual options throughout your degree though). So have you got any algebra experience then (groups and rings) because from what I've heard, the module seems fairly reliant on it (you do a small abstract algebra module in year 1, and then a larger abstract algebra module in year 2 alongside this module). But I didn't do this module, so I can't say so for certain.

You can take the problem solving module in years 2, 3 or 4 I think. Once again, I haven't done this module yet and so I can't say much about it. It's worth pointing out that there seems to be a somewhat significant essay style component to the exam.

If you were interested in Quantum Mechanics, I'd wait until the second year module offered by the Physics department (or even the fourth year module offered by the Maths department (or both!)). The former goes over the few useful parts of Quantum Phenomena, and so you won't be disadvantaged by having not done it.

I can't say much about E&M as I dropped it after the first couple of weeks. It seemed to use stuff from G&M, which we didn't learn until term 2 and so I struggled to follow what was going on. Mechanics was good though.

Thanks for your informative reply. Unfortunately I only know basic group theory at
the moment (up to lagrange's theorem) which I was motivated to learn after reading the group theory chapter in a prime puzzle by martin griffiths. I have peter cameron's intro to algebra and am thinking of working through it. Also I've been wanting to read rosen, classical introduction to modern number theory for at least a year now so now's my chance. Cameron followed by rosen sounds like a good way to spend summer to me :smile:

For the problem solving module is the essay component mainly about describing how you would come up with proofs? I think I've read similar things in polya's how to solve it where he describes problem solving heuristics and stuff. But I'm not too keen on writing essays as they take me extremely long (I'm a perfectionist) I would appreciate any further info on this.

Yeah I think I'll just wait until year 2 to seriously start quantum mechanics. It doesn't look like the quantum phenomena course is worth it and I don't appreciate learning things on the surface like in a level physics even if it isn't hard.

Would you say A2 physics is enough to understand E&M? Is G&M the mechanics module? If so which topics would you recommend studying before E&M so I can understand everything.

Here are my options so far:
Core:
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations
Maths by computer
Geometry and motion
Foundations
Abstract algebra
Analysis I & II
Probability A

List A:
Experimental
Intro to geometry
Probability B

Other:
Intro to number theory
Mechanics and s.relativity
Electricity & Magnetism

And I've decided I don't want to do any philosophy modules anymore. I don't see how I will benefit from any of them (other than logic 1 being "easy" but I'm not after easy modules)

That makes it 144 CATS. :s-smilie:

I don't see myself dropping any from "other" but I don't fancy the lab reports in experimental maths so maybe that can go. I'm already good at geometry having studied it seriously while doing olympiads so I don't see myself passing on intro to geometry; and probability B just looks useful to have but I don't see mysef taking any of the "follow up" modules in year 2 so maybe that can go as well. Any advice?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for your informative reply. Unfortunately I only know basic group theory at
the moment (up to lagrange's theorem) which I was motivated to learn after reading the group theory chapter in a prime puzzle by martin griffiths. I have peter cameron's intro to algebra and am thinking of working through it. Also I've been wanting to read rosen, classical introduction to modern number theory for at least a year now so now's my chance. Cameron followed by rosen sounds like a good way to spend summer to me :smile:

For the problem solving module is the essay component mainly about describing how you would come up with proofs? I think I've read similar things in polya's how to solve it where he describes problem solving heuristics and stuff. But I'm not too keen on writing essays as they take me extremely long (I'm a perfectionist) I would appreciate any further info on this.

Yeah I think I'll just wait until year 2 to seriously start quantum mechanics. It doesn't look like the quantum phenomena course is worth it and I don't appreciate learning things on the surface like in a level physics even if it isn't hard.

Would you say A2 physics is enough to understand E&M? Is G&M the mechanics module? If so which topics would you recommend studying before E&M so I can understand everything.

Here are my options so far:
Core:
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations
Maths by computer
Geometry and motion
Foundations
Abstract algebra
Analysis I & II
Probability A

List A:
Experimental
Intro to geometry
Probability B

Other:
Intro to number theory
Mechanics and s.relativity
Electricity & Magnetism

And I've decided I don't want to do any philosophy modules anymore. I don't see how I will benefit from any of them (other than logic 1 being "easy" but I'm not after easy modules)

That makes it 144 CATS. :s-smilie:

I don't see myself dropping any from "other" but I don't fancy the lab reports in experimental maths so maybe that can go. I'm already good at geometry having studied it seriously while doing olympiads so I don't see myself passing on intro to geometry; and probability B just looks useful to have but I don't see mysef taking any of the "follow up" modules in year 2 so maybe that can go as well. Any advice?

I can't say anything about the books as I haven't read nor heard of them. I'm not sure exactly how much algebra is in number theory, and it may just be the case you cover the same stuff in number theory that you cover in Algebra II.

G&M is Geometry and Motion, which is the first year multivariable calculus module (despite what the name suggests, there's not reallly any mechanics in it at all). It is just a module on vector calculus. In E&M, I felt like they assumed we knew how to evaluate repeated integrals, which we didn't know at the time (although the Physicists did). Although, most of them seemed to be evaluated based on symmetry arguments, so I'm not sure how much you actually needed to know. A level physics would definitely be more than enough for all the modules. If you've done M1 and M2, you'll have already done about 30% of classical Mechanics and Special Relativity. Perhaps slightly more.

I didn't actually do any optional maths modules in my first year (other than Programming for scientists). Although I did go to lectures for intro to Geo. Intro to geo seemed really easy, and every said the exam was very easy as well. I know a few people that did experimental Maths, and everyone said it takes a very long time! You work in groups, and I think you have about 30 questions to answer between all of you each week. Remembering that term 3 is when you're supposed to be revising for your exams (there are very few lectures in term 3 as you can see from the module webpage), you'll need to decide whether you think you can afford to spend the time on it. That said, people I know generally did quite well on this module. Prob B was very difficult from what I've heard. People do badly and it gets scaled a lot. If it;s the same lecturer, he isn't great either. If you think you might want to take any stats modules in future, I'd recommend it though.

You need to remember that it's not certain you'll be allowed to take number theory. Although, there's nothing stopping you from going to the lectures for it, it's just not certain you'll be allowed to take the exam.

Logic 1 is kind of interesting. You can take it in your second year if you want to as well. 144 CATS is quite a lot, so if you do find that the workload is too high, remember that there is very little, if any benefit to overcatting.

As for the problem solving, here is an example of one of the questions from the exam a couple of years ago: 'Explain the importance of developing an ‘internal monitor’ in becoming asuccessful problem solver.' So they're not mathsy essays. Remember that this isn't a module offered by the Maths department, it's from the institute of education (although I think it's lectured by Dave Wood, the director of undergaduate studies for maths at Warwick).
(edited 8 years ago)
I can't say anything about the books as I haven't read nor heard of them. I'm not sure exactly how much algebra is in number theory, and it may just be the case you cover the same stuff in number theory that you cover in Algebra II.

G&M is Geometry and Motion, which is the first year multivariable calculus module (despite what the name suggests, there's not reallly any mechanics in it at all). It is just a module on vector calculus. In E&M, I felt like they assumed we knew how to evaluate repeated integrals, which we didn't know at the time (although the Physicists did). Although, most of them seemed to be evaluated based on symmetry arguments, so I'm not sure how much you actually needed to know. A level physics would definitely be more than enough for all the modules. If you've done M1 and M2, you'll have already done about 30% of classical Mechanics and Special Relativity. Perhaps slightly more.

Thanks for this information, very informative. That's nice to hear, I didn't know G&M was multivariable calculus. I thought it was some contrived module that Warwick made up lol

I didn't actually do any optional maths modules in my first year (other than Programming for scientists). Although I did go to lectures for intro to Geo. Intro to geo seemed really easy, and every said the exam was very easy as well. I know a few people that did experimental Maths, and everyone said it takes a very long time! You work in groups, and I think you have about 30 questions to answer between all of you each week. Remembering that term 3 is when you're supposed to be revising for your exams (there are very few lectures in term 3 as you can see from the module webpage), you'll need to decide whether you think you can afford to spend the time on it. That said, people I know generally did quite well on this module. Prob B was very difficult from what I've heard. People do badly and it gets scaled a lot. If it;s the same lecturer, he isn't great either. If you think you might want to take any stats modules in future, I'd recommend it though.

You need to remember that it's not certain you'll be allowed to take number theory. Although, there's nothing stopping you from going to the lectures for it, it's just not certain you'll be allowed to take the exam.

Fair enough, although it does say: " With the natural restrictions (1-3) below, and subject to timetabling (see 5. below), maths students should be able to take practically any module offered by the University as an unusual option. But note that some departments (e.g. History of Art) require you to obtain their permission rather before the time of preregistration!" (my emphasis) I know people have done it before so it's definitely possible. What reasons would you say there for not letting someone to take it? I doubt they're going to test your abstract algebra for example, so that can't be it.

Logic 1 is kind of interesting. You can take it in your second year if you want to as well. 144 CATS is quite a lot, so if you do find that the workload is too high, remember that there is very little, if any benefit to overcatting.

Oh that's nice, I'll think about attending the lectures in year 1 then. It's just that I don't see what benefit I'll get from doing it, unlike say probability B which is actually useful. I know someone who did exactly 180 CATS in year 1 but that was in 2013, and they got like 5 A*'s at A level. Were CATS worth less back then or was the limit just higher so that people felt encouraged to take on >150 CATS?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for this information, very informative. That's nice to hear, I didn't know G&M was multivariable calculus. I thought it was some contrived module that Warwick made up lol

Fair enough, although it does say: " With the natural restrictions (1-3) below, and subject to timetabling (see 5. below), maths students should be able to take practically any module offered by the University as an unusual option. But note that some departments (e.g. History of Art) require you to obtain their permission rather before the time of preregistration!" (my emphasis) I know people have done it before so it's definitely possible. What reasons would you say there for not letting someone to take it? I doubt they're going to test your abstract algebra for example, so that can't be it.

Oh that's nice, I'll think about attending the lectures in year 1 then. It's just that I don't see what benefit I'll get from doing it, unlike say probability B which is actually useful. I know someone who did exactly 180 CATS in year 1 but that was in 2013, and they got like 5 A*'s at A level. Were CATS worth less back then or was the limit just higher so that people felt encouraged to take on >150 CATS?

Yeah, Geometry and Motion is just vector calculus :tongue:. So parameterisation of curves/ surfaces etc., vector fields, iterated integrals, the chain rule, surface integrals, line integrals. It's a very calculation heavy exam, and so is probably the closest you can get to the style of A level Maths exams. I really enjoyed this module, and the lecturing (assuming it's still Dwight) is interesting as well.

I was under the impression that that meant you can take any module from any department that you have all the sufficient prerequisites for. This module in particular was new for this year. There used to be a smaller, second year number theory module that was also available to first years. I don't think this relied as heavily on the algebra you learn in your second year. They completely changed the module though and made it just for second/ third years. So that's probably the module you're thinking of. I know that there is quite a lot of stuff on PIDs/ EDs/ UFDs etc. which you cover in Algebra II, and even if they're covered again in number theory, there are other algebra concepts that you would need to already know to understand them.

If it was 2012, then I could slightly understand as there used to be this thing called the Seymour formula, which gave you credit for doing extra modules. I just don't know why anyone would want to do that many CATS of exams (going to lectures is different, there are a couple of modules I've been to lectures for and the proceeded to drop), I personally don't think I'd be able to cope with doing that many exams. Then you'd essentially be doing one and a half degrees, and there is already enough work in the degree as it is. Are you sure that's not the number of CATS they registered for at the beginning, and they then dropped modules as the year progressed? I know that initially I registered for about 170 something CATS of modules.

I also edited one of my previous posts to add a bit about problem solving in case you didn't see that.

You actually can go up a year without too many problems: I did. You just need to convince your tutor that you can handle it. How difficult that is depends on who the tutor is, but doing well on your term 1 assignments would probably be a good start.

Quick Reply

Latest