The Student Room Group

How many years does it take to be an ENT surgeon?

What the question says

Would all of that training begin after 6 years of studying medicine?
Original post by geniequeen48

Standard course is 5 years, 6 if you intercalate. But yes, all of that training starts after med school.

You also have to complete the foundation programme (two years) before you can begin surgical training.
Original post by Democracy
You also have to complete the foundation programme (two years) before you can begin surgical training.

Oh I see, so the foundation programme would be within the last 2 years of studying medicine (if I chose to study 6 years instead of 5)?
Also, at what age would I be once I can start operating as an official job?
Oh I see, so the foundation programme would be within the last 2 years of studying medicine (if I chose to study 6 years instead of 5)?

No, the foundation programme is your first two years after you finish medical school i.e. it is your first official job as a doctor. Usually it consists of 6x four month placements in various specialties, at least two of which have to be general surgery and general medicine.

If you did a six year medical degree, you'd begin the foundation programme at age 24. You could then start surgical training at 26.

https://careers.walesdeanery.org/map/

To be fair, that linked webpage is incredibly unclear.

You do 5 or 6 years of medical school, then you would have your 2 Foundation years, where you rotate around various specialties. Then, you would do 2 years of "Core Surgical Training", which everyone who wants to be a surgeon must do. You rotate around various surgical specialties.

Then, you would do several years (think it's probably 5, but not sure) of "specialty training" for ENT. Once you've finished your specialty training years, you can then apply for a consultant job.

I imagine you can assist or do some simple operations from the core surgical training years onwards. You would be given more independence as the years go by, although there'd be a consultant responsible.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
You do 5 or 6 years of medical school, then you would have your 2 Foundation years, where you rotate around various specialties. Then, you would do 2 years of "Core Surgical Training", which everyone who wants to be a surgeon must do. You rotate around various surgical specialties.
Then, you would do several years (think it's probably 5, but not sure) of "specialty training" for ENT. Once you've finished your specialty training years, you can then apply for a consultant job.
I imagine you can assist or do some simple operations from the core surgical training years onwards. You would be given more independence as the years go by, although there'd be a consultant responsible.

Original post by Democracy
No, the foundation programme is your first two years after you finish medical school i.e. it is your first official job as a doctor. Usually it consists of 6x four month placements in various specialties, at least two of which have to be general surgery and general medicine.
If you did a six year medical degree, you'd begin the foundation programme at age 24. You could then start surgical training at 26.
https://careers.walesdeanery.org/map/

Hmm, I see. Thank you :smile:

Hmm, that sounds like a lot of years...
So if I completed the full training, I would be around 34 years old, right?
Is this like working at a company as a shopping assistant and then over the years their rank increases to a job like the head of the company?
Also you say that I could do simple operations from training years onwards with a consultant present, so does this mean that I can have an official job but I would basically be the consultant's assistant?
Hmm, that sounds like a lot of years...
So if I completed the full training, I would be around 34 years old, right?
Is this like working at a company as a shopping assistant and then over the years their rank increases to a job like the head of the company?
Also you say that I could do simple operations from training years onwards with a consultant present, so does this mean that I can have an official job but I would basically be the consultant's assistant?

Probably older than 34 tbh.

Well, you would have an "official job", as you would be a doctor.

I'm not sure exactly how much independence you get at the different stages of training. You could help out a consultant with an operation with him doing most of the stuff, or you could do most of it yourself with him also in the room, or as you progress further, you can do the operation yourself with the consultant elsewhere but contactable if you encounter difficulties.
Probably older than 34 tbh.
Well, you would have an "official job", as you would be a doctor.
I'm not sure exactly how much independence you get at the different stages of training. You could help out a consultant with an operation with him doing most of the stuff, or you could do most of it yourself with him also in the room, or as you progress further, you can do the operation yourself with the consultant elsewhere but contactable if you encounter difficulties.

Hmm, okay I'll think about it.
Cheers.
I imagine a little longer than an ordinary non-sentient tree surgeon.

:getmecoat:
Reply 13
Once you complete your degree and begin foundation years, you are in a job. A job with your own responsibilities and progression.

Training to consultant level is your career progression, the different specialties you can enter have different lengths of training. Throughout all of these, however, you are paid a salary.

The NHS careers site would be a good place to start reading, breaks it all down quite nicely.
I think what one of the things that confuses some people is that they think that you train to be something and then go and start working in that field.

Whereas, in reality, you are working in that field and slowly being given more responsibilities and tasks whilst you are working towards your goals. You are also still getting paid pretty nicely whilst you are learning, but you still have a job to do alongside your learning.

This is why you have to LOVE learning to become a doctor because there is always something you should/could be learning no matter what level you are.
Wow that sounds awesome, thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending