The Student Room Group

Part-time PhD

Hello,

I just need some advice please if you don't mind. What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing a part-time PhD as opposed to full-time?

I would like to do a PhD part-time in Human Genetics in London. Any advice would be appreciated.

Faithfully yours,

Ulric
I plan on doing mine part-time as when I get around to doing it, I'll most likely be an airline pilot. That'll give me quite a lot of free days, so I'll hopefully be able to do my PhD (in theoretical physics) while also holding down a full-time job. I was planning on doing a PhD by publication- I'm currently writing a paper on antimass particles and their effects on spacetime, long story short- but I think it'll just be easier to do a standard part-time PhD research project. or I might carry my current research over to my PhD research, I'm not sure yet.

But anyway, my point is that part-time PhDs are a very good option. After all, you're not likely going to be able to do a full-time 3-year PhD course (relatively expensive) without having a job at the same time, in order to support your study. Although part-time research project take 6 years, AFAIK.
Reply 2
I was hoping to complete my studies in 5 years attending 3 days a week. Do you think that is feasible?
Reply 3
The only time it is ever not a terrible idea is if you are working for a company doing very similar work, and they are sponsoring you and actively supporting you

A PhD isn't a hobby, it needs constant commitment. People will not take you seriously if you are part time, and it is very unlikely you will get an academic job afterwards..
Reply 4
I was warned off doing mine part-time. The Graduate Support bod I spoke to said that there was a 90%+ non-completion rate amongst part-timers at the uni I was considering. This may have been down to support, supervision, the practical difficulty of making it work, or a combo of all three. I was left with the impression that to support yourself with paid work whilst doing a PhD, would take an enormous amount of focus. The uni/workplace are unlikely to be sympathetic to their differing - and occasionally conflicting - demands on your time and energy.
Reply 5
Thank you very much Klix88, Poohat and Captain Josh! You all have been so helpful! Proper gents and/or ladies! I just have one more question:

I graduated from my BSc in Molecular Biology in 2006 and I graduated from my MSc in Human Molecular Genetics in 2009. May I ask would my application still be feasible for a PhD in Human Genetics or would fresh graduates be serious competition? I applied for other PhDs before but I made the error of applying in areas slightly out of the scope of my MSc. Also my Uncle has a friend who completed his MA in History, was not working for 5 years and later he managed to get a PhD studentship at UCL! So do I still have a chance?

Thank you so much for your advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending