The Student Room Group

Which college ?

I went to a cambridge open day, and saw John's, Caius, and Kings. They were all really beautiful, but I don't think they were right for me.

( St John's felt HUGE)
I'd really appreciate some advice on which colleges I may like, make a shortlist so

I'd prefer a smaller college.
I'd prefer a older college.
I'd prefer a casual, modest and progressive college. ( quite important)

I want to study english.
I'm from a state school.

aesthetically, I don't mind too much. I really liked Oxfords hertford college withh it's old grey stone covered in ivy, but right now I much prefer Cambridge's course for english.

Any advice would be great. I'll visit these colleges in September. Thank you so much for your advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
And this

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=634021
The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

And

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3370493
The Official Cambridge Applicants Thread 2016 Entry MK II

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Big Blue Machine
I went to a cambridge open day, and saw John's, Caius, and Kings. They were all really beautiful, but I don't think they were right for me.

( St John's felt HUGE)
I'd really appreciate some advice on which colleges I may like, make a shortlist so

I want to study english.
I'm from a state school.

aesthetically, I don't mind too much. I really liked Oxfords hertford college withh it's old grey stone covered in ivy, but right now I much prefer Cambridge's course for english.

Any advice would be great. I'll visit these colleges in September. Thank you so much for your advice.

Older and casual/progressive might conflict a bit...

Sidney Sussex? Tit Hall?
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Older and casual/progressive might conflict a bit...

Sidney Sussex? Tit Hall?

Thanks. I'm shy, and from a state school, so I would prefer a modest college. Are smaller colleges worse in that gossip spreads etc.? I basically want a beautiful college with architectural quirks.
Thanks. I'm shy, and from a state school, so I would prefer a modest college. Are smaller colleges worse in that gossip spreads etc.? I basically want a beautiful college with architectural quirks.

I dunno, if you're quite shy, are you likely to be at the centre of gossip? :p:

There are both pros and cons of big/small colleges. Tbh, in my subjective opinion, I'd say a small college might be better if you're shy - as it's more likely that everyone will know each other etc, and I think it would probably be a bit easier to make friends.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I dunno, if you're quite shy, are you likely to be at the centre of gossip? :p:

There are both pros and cons of big/small colleges. Tbh, in my subjective opinion, I'd say a small college might be better if you're shy - as it's more likely that everyone will know each other etc, and I think it would probably be a bit easier to make friends.

That's a good point. Are you aware of which college had thr highest percentage chance of getting in?

( St John's felt HUGE)

I want to study english.
I'm from a state school.

A flippant guess caius ?

( St John's felt HUGE)

I want to study english.
I'm from a state school.

Peterhouse? I'm applying there! It's the oldest college at the university and has beautiful architecture and is one of the smallest. It's actually so lovely.

I saw Oxford too - may I ask what made you sway towards Cambridge? I was the same. I really wanted to go for Oxford but going there actually turned me right off of it.
or Trinity hall?
Why didn't you like king's? As someone said old and casual/progressive don't usually come hand in hand, but king's is one of the oldest and always known to be least traditional (no gown except for graduation, etc) and quite radical/left-wing.

Re gossiping: size of college doesn't make much difference, I don't think. To start with, the university is quite different from high schools. You tend not to gossip about other people too much, anyway. You are too busy to get on with your work and some other activities like club/societies and try to catch up with your close friends in the precious little spare time you manage to find. Gossiping about other people will be the last thing people want to spend their mind and time on.:wink:
Original post by ivybridge
Peterhouse? I'm applying there! It's the oldest college at the university and has beautiful architecture and is one of the smallest. It's actually so lovely.

I saw Oxford too - may I ask what made you sway towards Cambridge? I was the same. I really wanted to go for Oxford but going there actually turned me right off of it.

There're lots of 'stereotypes' said about each Cambridge college, but 'casual/modest/progressive' is definitely not the description people'd use for peterhouse. :wink:

::brace for one of peterhouse ATs to rush in to defend their college:::tongue:
Original post by vincrows
There're lots of 'stereotypes' said about each Cambridge college, but 'casual/modest/progressive' is definitely not the description people'd use for peterhouse. :wink:

::brace for one of peterhouse ATs to rush in to defend their college:::tongue:

I genuinely thought it was all of those things after seeing it, meeting students, and meeting tutors.
I genuinely thought it was all of those things after seeing it, meeting students, and meeting tutors.

I can say with some confidence that's the sort of impression you'll get whichever college you've been on Open Day. :wink:
I can say with some confidence that's the sort of impression you'll get whichever college you've been on Open Day. :wink:

I disagree - I looked at a few and especially at Oxford, there was a lot of variation. I can see why you would say that but you know, that's all we have to go on so...

( St John's felt HUGE)

I want to study english.
I'm from a state school.

Magdalene sounds like the college for you (and coincidentally the one I was rejected from, yay).
I disagree - I looked at a few and especially at Oxford, there was a lot of variation. I can see why you would say that but you know, that's all we have to go on so...

Ah, Oxford is different. Like yourself, my daughter didn't like the impression she got from them when she went to their Open Days. (She went to both the univerisity one and the departmental one)
I was talking specifically about the Cambridge colleges. :wink:
A lot of people say they feel the whole Cambridge (both university and the town) is friendlier and cosier than The Other Place.
( St John's felt HUGE)
I want to study english.
I'm from a state school.

Sidney sussex
Ah, Oxford is different. Like yourself, my daughter didn't like the impression she got from them when she went to their Open Days. (She went to both the univerisity one and the departmental one)
I was talking specifically about the Cambridge colleges. :wink:
A lot of people say they feel the whole Cambridge (both university and the town) is friendlier and cosier than The Other Place.

Oxford was where I really wanted to go but they were very condescending and went on and on about how they look at GCSEs the most which I thought was absurd, and then they just made digs at Cambridge 24/7. It wasn't a great impression to make.

Cambridge was definitely just that. I mean, I study in Cambridge as it is so I know the city better but all the teachers at my college that were taught at Cambridge, when I think of it, are much nicer and more grounded than those who were taught at Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest