The Student Room Group

Help: I'm really bad at cooking!

I'm starting university this september and I'm really, really bad at cooking. I can bake cakes and cookies and things nicely, but actually making meals I am just terrible at it.

I tend to stick to things like putting a chicken breast and some veggies on a tray in the oven because I don't really have to do anything and in the end I get a decent meal.

But I don't know what to do. I'm not sure what makes me such a terrible cook. And I don't want to end up living on the same things every day.
Reply 1
Many students dont know so dont panic just read and practice before then
Reply 2
Original post by whorace
Many students dont know so dont panic just read and practice before then

I guess at least I do have all summer!
Watch YouTube videos. They helped me a lot.
Original post by Dauntless
I'm starting university this september and I'm really, really bad at cooking. I can bake cakes and cookies and things nicely, but actually making meals I am just terrible at it.

I tend to stick to things like putting a chicken breast and some veggies on a tray in the oven because I don't really have to do anything and in the end I get a decent meal.

But I don't know what to do. I'm not sure what makes me such a terrible cook. And I don't want to end up living on the same things every day.

Look at the website of BBC GoodFood - it is really good and has turned all three of my children into good cooks
Eat out for every meal, like I did. It's the sophisticated way.

literal lol. that's top though. and healthy.

but yea I'd say practice. figure out what you like and google recipes. get your ingredients and go along.
there's also basics that some ppl might not mention in these recipes because they'd assume people learnt these young. Like how to cook rice. :s-smilie: Actually I think you can google that as well :yep: but I can tell you it's simple. If you can make rice then nvm; if not:

Spoiler

Try new things that involve a few more processes than cutting stuff up and baking it in an oven- if you keep playing it safe you'll never improve. Try new flavours and ingredients, get to grips with which flavours you like together. Buy a few herbs and spices. Generally try and do different things as often as possible.

Sorted Food are my go-to recommendation for people looking to improve their cooking, loads of varied and delicious recipes that the vast majority of people can accomplish.

www.sortedfood.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/sortedfood/videos?sort=dd&flow=grid&view=0
When I started uni I was exactly the same - I had never cooked for myself, the most I could do was pour a jar of sauce onto some pasta, it was ridiculous. My mum gave me the cookbook Nosh For Students as a going away gift and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone moving away from home that's never really cooked before: the meals are fun and cheap and relatively easy to make, and the measurements are all in 'mugs' and spoons so you don't even have to invest in scales. There's also a section at the start with the basics of cooking, with things like a chart explaining how long each vegetable takes to boil/roast, how to roast a whole chicken successfully, how to portion pasta and how long different types take to cook, ideas for sandwich fillings etc. Seriously, that book was like my bible for the first year of university

Quick Reply

Latest