The Student Room Group

Stressing over a level choices

Everyone tells me i have all summer to work this out but i have been trying from january making lots of threads looking at new specs past papers etc but i still can not decide and dont know if i ever will
i plan to do maths economics and 2 more out of bio chem physics french further maths
bio and chem seem quite boring and dull looking at the spec and peoples regrets on tsr despite me liking chemistry at gcse
i looked ta physics and it looks interesting but really hard for me tbh especially the new spec and not being an A grade physics student at gcse
predicted AB in double science best at chem worst at physocs
further maths i am really considering just for a year as i like maths but i didnt do additional maths and may only scrape an A* at gcse because of the ridiculously hard exam
french i have heard it gives u a huge advantage but i am only predicted a B so dont think i would honestly be good at it
i was thinking accounting but apparently its a soft subject
i am predicted A* maths Astats core science B everything else C english
please can someone give me some advice :frown:
I suggest that you write all your subjects out, and arrange them in terms of which you enjoy most.

Biology a level is anything but boring, you learn about immunity, cells ( oh I love cells), the heart, courtship, etc. It's an interesting challenge !

Chemistry a level is one of the hardest, my friends say it is harder than maths and furthermarhs. For example, in FM mock, people got A*s, chem highest was a C. But obviously that changes as exams come closer. It's hard, but if you work at it you can still do well

Physics needs good maths skills. Don't consider it if you can't handle maths! If you can, great! You also need to deal with challenging concepts.

French is a really good choice, shows some variety ! Do french, it's respected, it's great! It can help things like law, finance etc.

Maths and F maths are hard. Loads of people drop out each year. People with As. So I'd say don't consider maths unless you got a high A/ A*m and don't consider further maths unless you found maths gcse a breeze.

Have you considered geography? It's a little lighter than the science A levels, but equally respected. If you did French, Maths, Geography, economics that would be good variety.

Equally French,Chemistry, Economics and Maths would be good.

If you feel you can cope, you could do maths, chemistry, biology physics. But people who do that tend to get A*s in all 4 at GCSE.

Only do further maths If you really love maths.

If you're good at any humanities, bring those in for variety. Maths and history/ english lit is a great combination to show mental agility. You don't want your a levels to be too homogenous.

Good luck, and don't stress, do what you will enjoy and what you're good at. Also, if you have a paticular course in mind, check the unis requiremnts
Reply 2
Original post by youreanutter
Everyone tells me i have all summer to work this out but i have been trying from january making lots of threads looking at new specs past papers etc but i still can not decide and dont know if i ever will
i plan to do maths economics and 2 more out of bio chem physics french further maths
bio and chem seem quite boring and dull looking at the spec and peoples regrets on tsr despite me liking chemistry at gcse
i looked ta physics and it looks interesting but really hard for me tbh especially the new spec and not being an A grade physics student at gcse
further maths i am really considering just for a year as i like maths but i didnt do additional maths and may only scrape an A* at gcse because of the ridiculously hard exam
french i have heard it gives u a huge advantage but i am only predicted a B so dont think i would honestly be good at it

I'll make it one bit easier - do not take Physics. I got an A* at GCSE and failed my AS in it.
Original post by youreanutter

This is an advise everyone will give you, DONT TAKE MORE THAN 2 SCIENCE SUBKECTS!!!!!!!!! doing a science subject like chem is HARD. period. chem is the hardest subjects out of the alevels therefore if you add biology to it you are making life difficult for yourself. seriously :s-smilie: plus take two subjects that you need for your uni course and then two easy subjects so you can get the ucas points that you need. Teachers predictions are loads of sh@t, trust me, I got A* in english and maths but i struggled in Alevel AS cos its soooooo different from GCSE, dont choose 4 subjects that you may struggle with and make life easier for yourself because your're the one who will have to take the exams and study those subjects for 2 years.
BEST OF LUCK:biggrin:
Original post by Opedius Complex
This is an advise everyone will give you, DONT TAKE MORE THAN 2 SCIENCE SUBKECTS!!!!!!!!! doing a science subject like chem is HARD. period. chem is the hardest subjects out of the alevels therefore if you add biology to it you are making life difficult for yourself. seriously :s-smilie: plus take two subjects that you need for your uni course and then two easy subjects so you can get the ucas points that you need. Teachers predictions are loads of sh@t, trust me, I got A* in english and maths but i struggled in Alevel AS cos its soooooo different from GCSE, dont choose 4 subjects that you may struggle with and make life easier for yourself because your're the one who will have to take the exams and study those subjects for 2 years.
BEST OF LUCK:biggrin:

would u suggest doing accounting to A2 as it seems quite straightforward
Reply 5
Original post by STUDYREVISE
What did you find difficult about physics? which exam board did you do?
You see I really enjoyed science at GCSE and really liked learning it which is why I think I will definitely be doing Biology and Physics but am not too sure about Chemistry. The university course I want to do required 2 sciences, would I be at an advantage compared to other applicants if I did 3 sciences or would 2 sciences and 1 humanity be better?

I did AQA and I found the electricity stuff hard at first but eventually managed to understand it. The reason I did so bad was because of unit 2, which apart from the maths section of it, I didn't understand any of.
I would do 2 sciences, just because you're likely to get better grades if you take one slightly easier subjects.
Also I would say chemistry was much easier than Physics.
Reply 6
Original post by STUDYREVISE
I've looked at some past papers for WJEC physics and it doesn't seem too bad.
Would you agree that if you know your GCSE stuff inside out, it would make alevel physics a lot easier?
Yes, the uni course I want to do only asks for 2 sciences at grade A but I'm thinking that if I have 3 not only may I have a slight advantage for getting into uni, as long as I have the grades, but also the 3 sciences will really link in to each other so revision wouldn't be too much. what do you think?
I was initially going to do Bio Chem Geography which changed to Bio Chem Physics because I'm really unsure about Geography now. Apparently its not too hard especially if your an A* student at GCSE.
My plan is actually to choose 4 subjects on enrolment: Bio Chem Physics Geography and within the first few weeks drop one of them. this way I will have 3 a-levels along with compulsory general studies as AS.
But my only problem is whether or not I should do physics and swap geography for chemistry or not.

I would say that if you knew it inside out then it would make it slightly easier. I don't know anything about the WJEC spec, but I would guess it has some similar topics to AQA. Obviously it would look better to have 3As in three sciences than two As in sciences and an A in a soft subject. But what I'm saying is to take three sciences would be very hard,and it reduces the likelihood of getting 3As.
I got an A* at GCSE and couldn't do it. Also, so far in AS there have only been a few overlaps between the sciences. Pretty much nothing we learned in Physics was also on the chemistry spec. The only thing I can think of is ionisation, but you different stuff for both so it wouldn't reduce revision. I don't take biology but there have been about 3 instances in lessons where biologists in my class seemed slightly familiar with content, but like with Physics, it was different still so it wouldn't reduce revision.
Taking three sciences would if anything increase the amount of revision that you'd need to do.

I think your plan of taking four and dropping one is good, so you can see for yourself what it's like.
[QUOTEwould u suggest doing accounting to A2 as it seems quite straightforward

Unless you want to do accounting in uni and accounting is your career choice then don't because it's a weird subject where you need the teachers help much more than other subjects; my friend choose accounting because he thought it would be easy but his teacher was sooooooooo rubbish 😮he really struggled in the exa; all because of one teacher. I would suggest sociology or psychology which are about memorizing studies, it's easy to get a good grade in sociology, although it's long. But the choice is yours , it's your future do something you enjoy. Good luck 😄
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't like this attitude of take subjects that will be easier to get A's in. It demonstrates a fundemental flaw in the a level system, an A shouldn't be easier in some subjects. But you should pick the subjects you are good at now and that you need for university, if a uni says they only need two sciences they are still twice as likely to give an offer to a three science student than a two science student with a soft subject.

Quick Reply

Latest