The Student Room Group

What do I need to bring/do to my 1st driving lesson?

I know I need my provisional licence but what about the paper counterpart?

What type of paperworks would my instructor ask me to do?

What about insurance?

Also with payment (I'm using cash up front), I booked 10 lesson how I will I pay him. I feel a bit uneasy just handing over £200 in cash on the 1st lesson

Any advice?
Original post by tsr0407
I know I need my provisional licence but what about the paper counterpart?

What type of paperworks would my instructor ask me to do?

What about insurance?

Also with payment (I'm using cash up front), I booked 10 lesson how I will I pay him. I feel a bit uneasy just handing over £200 in cash on the 1st lesson

Any advice?

Hi, you no longer need your paper counterpart, just your provisional licence.
That's all the documentation you'll need. And you don't need to sort out insurance - the car is already insured for a provisional licence holder's use :smile:

On your first lesson your instructor will (should) check your provisional licence and your eyesight. So you'll have to read a car numberplate from 20m away to be safely driving, so wear your glasses if you need them! :smile:

If they're an independent instructor, I would pay them for a single lesson first to see how you get on with them? Just in case you pay for 10 and then you don't get along.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll get a receipt.
I've heard that two feet helps no end.
Original post by WeirdLittleO
Hi, you no longer need your paper counterpart, just your provisional licence.
That's all the documentation you'll need. And you don't need to sort out insurance - the car is already insured for a provisional licence holder's use :smile:
On your first lesson your instructor will (should) check your provisional licence and your eyesight. So you'll have to read a car numberplate from 20m away to be safely driving, so wear your glasses if you need them! :smile:
If they're an independent instructor, I would pay them for a single lesson first to see how you get on with them? Just in case you pay for 10 and then you don't get along.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Your advice with regards to the counterpart can be misunderstood as in you never need the counterpart.

The one that comes with the license means nothing but you'll need to get it online for the theory test and driving test or if you get a job driving.
Original post by SonicOfPron
Your advice with regards to the counterpart can be misunderstood as in you never need the counterpart.

The one that comes with the license means nothing but you'll need to get it online for the theory test and driving test or if you get a job driving.

I did my theory test a few days ago and they don't need to see your paper counterpart anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by SonicOfPron

The paper counterpart was officially abolished on the 8th June this year.

If you have an old one, you can destroy it now.

You no longer need one for taking any theory or driving tests. A different process is now in place for hiring cars or taking driving jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending