The Student Room Group

Muslim Tourist takes selfie in ‪Brighton‬, arrested on ‪terrorism‬ offences

Some people would argue that taking a selfie should be punished with imprisonment.
And that’s what almost happened to one tourist, who was arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences as he took a selfie video in Brighton.
Kuwaiti tourist Nasser Al-Ansari, 38, was filming a video of himself outside Brighton’s Churchill shopping centre on his mobile phone when he was arrested.
He had been recording a Snapchat message in Arabic, in which he paid his condolences to the victims of a bomb blast in Kuwait last week which claimed the lives of 27 people.
Mr Al-Ansari was then taken to a car park by police officers, and held on suspicion of terrorism offences for three hours.
They took my phone and then detained me for about three hours. They took me by car to a car park,
he explained.

They said,
You are under arrest under article 41 of the Terrorism Act; anything you say can and will be used against you.

I said
I am 100 percent co-operative. I will go wherever you wish, I just want to go home.

But while Mr Al-Ansari was released after three hours, his phone has been kept by police for further examination.
Speaking to the Daily Mail, Detective Chief Inspector Paul Betts from Brighton and Hove CID confirmed that Mr Al-Ansari was released after ‘an assessment was made and there was no immediate threat’.
However, it was not possible at the time to examine his mobile, so an investigation continues in order to establish if it contains any evidence of a criminal offence,
DCI Betts said.
This will be completed as soon as possible and the phone will be returned to him if there is no reason to retain it further.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/04/man-arrested-on-suspicion-of-terrorism-after-taking-a-selfie-5279393/
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good I would rather the Brighton CID not take any chances and act first and answer questions later. Wonder why he was talking about the Kuwaiti victims instead of the Tunisia or French victims?
when i saw the title of this thread i thought "oh dear that's awful" but reading the article i changed my mind a bit...

he didnt take a selfie, he filmed a video on snapchat, and when someone films a video of themselves talking, "vlogging" or whatever its called then that draws a fair bit of attention because it looks so odd

maybe he said the word "bomb" in english or maybe a fellow arabic speaker heard that word and altered the authorities

even so, i think it's odd that you'd film yourself expressing condolences for a bomb attack like that in a public space...
Why would you want to film yourself at Churchill Square? That's nothing to shout about.
Good to see the police being thorough
lol you ppl are evil.
Reply 6
Original post by neal95
Good I would rather the Brighton CID not take any chances and act first and answer questions later. Wonder why he was talking about the Kuwaiti victims instead of the Tunisia or French victims?

because hes from kuwait?
-eye roll at this thread-

If this was a white chap who had been arrested, there would be outrage.

Islamic terrorists are not representative of most Muslims, just like Westboro Baptist church are not representative of Christians.
Original post by Shadoo
because hes from kuwait?

No but because protecting the public good when the police have reason to suspect something (could have been a tip off from a member of the public, someone believed he was recording a video before committing an atrocity etc) we don't know the full facts, is a far safer and more creditworthy action than potentially allowing the person in question to wreak havoc. It's 3 hours of his time and I would rather the police intervened than if they did not. Either way, they will attract criticism from the do-gooders but sometimes you have to dissapoint others
Original post by neal95

sigh. He is Kuwaiti.........
Reply 11
Original post by neal95
No but because protecting the public good when the police have reason to suspect something (could have been a tip off from a member of the public, someone believed he was recording a video before committing an atrocity etc) we don't know the full facts, is a far safer and more creditworthy action than potentially allowing the person in question to wreak havoc. It's 3 hours of his time and I would rather the police intervened than if they did not. Either way, they will attract criticism from the do-gooders but sometimes you have to dissapoint others

If this happened to you , you would have been outraged and claiming power abuse of the police . Seriously he has every right to use his phone and to use snapchat. Whats with the hate?
Original post by iSL97
If this happened to you , you would have been outraged and claiming power abuse of the police . Seriously he has every right to use his phone and to use snapchat. Whats with the hate?

He's more than able to make use of that, I do not disagree there. However he's got to consider the wider context about what has just happened in France and Tunisia and whether you like it or not, when some people see an Arabic looking person acting strangely (according to their customs) then they will immediately become suspicious and suspect terrorism and with good reason . It's better to take preventative rather than reactive action
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ridwan12
sigh. He is Kuwaiti.........

Fair enough but why didn't he mention the victims of France and Tunisia? Coulnt he have said his condolences to the Kuwaitis who were blown up before he came on holiday to brighton?
Original post by neal95
Fair enough but why didn't he mention the victims of France and Tunisia? Coulnt he have said his condolences to the Kuwaitis who were blown up before he came on holiday to brighton?

erm maybe he just heard about what happened in Kuwait. I don't know but it isn't illegal to not mention them.
Original post by ridwan12
erm maybe he just heard about what happened in Kuwait. I don't know but it isn't illegal to not mention them.

You could be right but I doubt it considering all the attacks happened more than a week ago and on the same day. I am not arguing with you but I just thought I would mention some possible reason why he might have been accosted by uk police forces. Unfortunately Arabic when used with social media has become synonymous with Islamic state activity
This is absolutely absurd. Just let the guy take the damn video. If this will be the case, you may as well arrest everyone taking their phones out and taking a picture at that location too.
Original post by battycatlady
-eye roll at this thread-

If this was a white chap who had been arrested, there would be outrage.

Islamic terrorists are not representative of most Muslims, just like Westboro Baptist church are not representative of Christians.

These things happen to white people all the time, it's just not reported because it's not even remotely news worthy regardless of who it happens to.
Somebody was spotted doing something suspicious, they were picked up, questioned and then released. Seems pretty standard to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by RoundTrip
Good. This what Muslims are bringing on themselves. Better to falsely arrest some idiot than let him blow himself up in a major tourist city.

This is such a ridiculous generalisation, Muslims as a whole do not bring any terrorist act upon themselves. It is only a small, stupid minority that do.
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
This is absolutely absurd. Just let the guy take the damn video. If this will be the case, you may as well arrest everyone taking their phones out and taking a picture at that location too.

The police had every right to arrest him on the grounds of behaviour the police deemed suspicious.

Some other bloke walked around Westminster with a ISIS flag and didn't get arrest, that's where the absurdity lies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending